Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Prayers for Brandon Football and Family

vCash
    In 1978, graduated in 79, our 1st week was in helmets, shoulder pads and shorts. Lots of non contact running and blocking sled drills.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    I don't remember kids dropping dead in the 60s and 70s, when I grew up. They may have and we just never heard about it since that was the days before 1000 TV channels and the Internet. If it is the case that kids did not drop dead in times past, then what has changed? Is it too much indoor time as a kid, contaminated environment or other?

Thoughts?
    HS Football started in mid-September back then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    my thoughts as well and it probably is. Myocarditis is a problem for some kids who necessarily got the vaccine. I know one kid in national guard who had to leave because he refused to getting the vaccine due to 2 of his friends dying after getting it. Both under the age of 25.
    Good grief. This has happened nearly every year for the last 20 years at least. Football starts too early now. Most of those turned out to have some kind of previously undetected heart problem that was brought to a head by the heat. I suspect that's what this one will be as well.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 08-02-2022 at 03:17 PM.

vCash
    Something has changed. Because you would think these things would happen less today. We are more educated on hydration, nutrition, etc. today. Our coaches in the 80's thought water caused cramping, so we weren't allowed to drink any during practices. I'm thinking it is lack of heat acclimation, i.e. too much sitting in the AC all summer. But I don't know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    But pre-season practice started in August - the hottest month in MS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Something has changed. Because you would think these things would happen less today. We are more educated on hydration, nutrition, etc. today. Our coaches in the 80's thought water caused cramping, so we weren't allowed to drink any during practices. I'm thinking it is lack of heat acclimation, i.e. too much sitting in the AC all summer. But I don't know.
    I'm not sure that anything has changed because I'm not sure more kids are dying today. I think you just didn't necessarily hear about deaths pre-internet unless it was at a school you played against. But if it has, an obvious candidate would just be more obese players. I assume the percent of obese players hasn't shot up like it has in the general population of kids, but surely it has moved up some.

The other obvious candidate, as mentioned, would just be lack of acclimation to the heat because players spend less time outdoors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I'm not sure that anything has changed because I'm not sure more kids are dying today. I think you just didn't necessarily hear about deaths pre-internet unless it was at a school you played against. .
    That's a valid point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    But pre-season practice started in August - the hottest month in MS.
    And it starts in July now.

vCash
    I feel like we have prayed for Brandon over the loss of a young man for the last three years (others were car wrecks maybe?) - super tough on young people - prayers for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    When I was in high school, the rules actually discouraged the coaches from easing into the heat. Because you couldn't have organized practice until a certain date, but then you were allowed to have two a days. So you couldn't start earlier and ease them into it. Easing it into it just means losing practice time.

As I said, that was somewhat mitigated by having to do agility drills (ropes, ladders, cone drills, etc.) after lifting weights, although I think the coaches were at least breaking the spirit of the rules on that, because while they weren't officially coaching us, somebody was in the weightroom for safety purposes and somebody was always in eye shot of the agility drills so they could tell if people were loafing or just not doing all their reps/sets.

Now, I'm sure there are conflicted between needing some of the heaviest kids to do the most work to get into game shape while also being the ones most susceptible to heat related health issues.
    My getting your body used to the heat is what should happen. That can be done in other ways not just in full practice times. Like many have said, many of these kids are not in shape to hit it hard in the heat.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    It happened in the 80s, you just didn?t automatically hear about it within hours of it happening across the state all instantly. News and info moves way way way faster as of 1994.

vCash
    That?s not true. I know since the 70?s football started the 1st Monday of August and you played your first game on the 4th Friday of August.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Back in the 70s we either worked all summer doing swamp reclamation or working on Shrimp boats for the point boys. Even though we were in shape the 2 a days were a beoutch. And one water break that was a hose attached to a spigot, for the entire team/
    i remember football camp in tupelo in the late 70's in august where half of us almost passed out from the heat and all they did was give us Gatorade and salt pills it was brutal. I believe air conditioning plays a vital role in this now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I don't know but kids were dropping dead every year before the virus.
    Correct

vCash
    Probably should say the prayers for Pearl as well. My son said he just transferred into Brandon from Pearl. No one in the school really knew him.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 08-03-2022 at 08:25 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    It happened in the 80s, you just didn?t automatically hear about it within hours of it happening across the state all instantly. News and info moves way way way faster as of 1994.
    You're absolutely correct about news and information spreading faster but I also think there's some truth in Lambert's statement as well. It's a generational thing.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Yes. See my post in this thread. Kids aren't doing the same stuff these days. We all stayed outside all summer. Kids today stay inside and while they do workout, they sit most of the time playing games and watching their phones.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Good grief. This has happened nearly every year for the last 20 years at least. Football starts too early now. Most of those turned out to have some kind of previously undetected heart problem that was brought to a head by the heat. I suspect that's what this one will be as well.
    and some of you will die on the Vaccine is fine hill. IF the damn vaccine is so damn good why are there booster after booster coming out? It's not a damn vaccine at all and you are welcome to view the VARS data to see that there has been WAYYYYYYY more complications and DEATHS from this "vaccine" than any other real vaccines. I guess my buddies friends who died had previous heart conditions as well huh? NOPE they didn't! He wouldn't have stood his ground to the point of getting discharged from the service if he thought they did.
    Last edited by Dawg-gone-dawgs; 08-03-2022 at 09:38 AM.
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    and some of you will die on the Vaccine is fine hill. IF the damn vaccine is so damn good why are there booster after booster coming out? It's not a damn vaccine at all and you are welcome to view the VARS data to see that there has been WAYYYYYYY more complications and DEATHS from this "vaccine" than any other real vaccines. I guess my buddies friends who died had previous heart conditions as well huh? NOPE they didn't! He wouldn't have stood his ground to the point of getting discharged from the service if he thought they did.
    Drop it. We ARE NOT GOING to Debate this.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    That?s not true. I know since the 70?s football started the 1st Monday of August and you played your first game on the 4th Friday of August.
    When I was a little kid in the 60s it started in mid September. I think it stayed that way till at least the mid 70s. My Dad was an ex coach and still was announcing then. Fact remains if they REALLY wanted to do something about the heat in football they would push the season back at LEAST a month. This farce of starting the games at 7:30 instead of 7 is just that, a farce. Practice is where almost all the problems happen.