Thread: Food for thought

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Leach won 11 games 3 years ago. He improved dramatically in every offensive statistical category from year 1 to year 2. I do believe he could benefit by adding some more to his offense, but it's going to be good enough to win as many games here as any other coach we've had. Our defense and special teams need to improve as much this year as our offense did last year.
    Concur, if he wins 8 games next year, he'll be coach of the year.

Everything works until it doesn't. The wishbone worked for a long time until it didn't.

Leach hasn't been successful game in and game out against high caliber SEC Defenses that are loaded with speed at every position. Hopefully we take another good step this season. My expectation is 7 wins, we have a tough schedule. We have to beat Kentucky, Ark and OM at least half the time year in and year out. This season we need to beat two of those three plus knock off the barn or upset another team.

Leach's results the last five years, the last three have not been good. He had a NFL (spot) starter as QB in 2018.
    2017 Washington State 9–4 6–3 3rd (North) L Holiday
    2018 Washington State 11–2 7–2 T–1st (North) W Alamo
    2019 Washington State 6–7 3–6 T–5th (North) L Cheez-It
    2020 Mississippi State 4–7 3–7 T–6th (West) W Armed Forces
    2021 Mississippi State 7–6 4–4 T–3rd (West) L Liberty
    Last edited by viverlibre; 05-19-2022 at 01:12 PM.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Concur, if he wins 8 games next year, he'll be coach of the year.

Everything works until it doesn't. The wishbone worked for a long time until it didn't.

Leach hasn't been successful game in and game out against high caliber SEC Defenses that are loaded with speed at every position. Hopefully we take another good step this season. My expectation is 7 wins, we have a tough schedule. We have to beat Kentucky, Ark and OM at least half the time year in and year out. This season we need to beat two of those three plus knock off the barn or upset another team.

Leach's results the last five years, the last three have not been good. He had a NFL (spot) starter as QB in 2018.
    2017 Washington State 9–4 6–3 3rd (North) L Holiday
    2018 Washington State 11–2 7–2 T–1st (North) W Alamo
    2019 Washington State 6–7 3–6 T–5th (North) L Cheez-It
    2020 Mississippi State 4–7 3–7 T–6th (West) W Armed Forces
    2021 Mississippi State 7–6 4–4 T–3rd (West) L Liberty

Leach’s first 2 seasons at Washington state looked exactly like his first 2 years here. Using his last 5 years that include 2 seasons at a school He’s having to totally rebuild offensively from a run first mentality just isn’t painting a picture that “it won’t work”. It’s pretty clear that the offense is going to work. The jump from year 1 to 2 looks just like it did elsewhere. Also, the wishbone would work if the teams who recruit 5 stars ran it. The flexbone worked at a very high level when Paul Johnson ran it. Any offense works with the right talent and coaching. Kids don’t want to play in that type offense so no one is going to run it. Too difficult to recruit to.
    Last edited by Jarius; 05-19-2022 at 03:38 PM.

vCash
    Leach’s first 2 seasons at Washington state looked exactly like his first 2 years here. Using his last 5 years that include 2 seasons at a school He’s having to totally rebuild offensively from a run first mentality just isn’t painting a picture that “it won’t work”. It’s pretty clear that the offense is going to work. The jump from year 1 to 2 looks just like it did elsewhere. Also, the wishbone would work if the teams who recruit 5 stars ran it. The flexbone worked at a very high level when Paul Johnson ran it. Any offense works with the right talent and coaching. Kids don’t want to play in that type offense so no one is going to run it. Too difficult to recruit to.
    We won't have 5 stars to run Leach's offense, we are doing it on 3 stars. Improving the offense from year two to three is a lot easier in the Big 12 and PAC 12, gonna be much harder in the SEC.

I'd disagree with your point, "It’s pretty clear that the offense is going to work." From a stats standpoint it it may work, from a wins standpoint it is yet to be seen. Just because it worked in the past, doesn't mean it will work in the future. I hope it does though.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    We won't have 5 stars to run Leach's offense, we are doing it on 3 stars. Improving the offense from year two to three is a lot easier in the Big 12 and PAC 12, gonna be much harder in the SEC.

I'd disagree with your point, "It’s pretty clear that the offense is going to work." From a stats standpoint it it may work, from a wins standpoint it is yet to be seen. Just because it worked in the past, doesn't mean it will work in the future. I hope it does though.
    Yes, Leach’s offense is designed to work with 3 stars. That’s what he’s done throughout his career. The wishbone was a general comment, not MSU specific.

As far as offensive improvement, it’s not going to be harder to improve year 2 to year 3 here just like it wasn’t harder to improve offensively year 1 to year 2 here. Yea the competition is harder here but He has way more talent to work with here than he did elsewhere as well. I mean look at the 2020 numbers offensively compared to 2021. They got way better. We return 17 starters. This team will improve.

vCash

A year ago, people were saying "Improving the offense from year one to two is a lot easier in the Big 12 and PAC 12, gonna be much harder in the SEC."

Two years ago, people were saying that Leach's offense would never succeed whatsoever in the SEC.

A year from now, people will say that sure Leach was able to finish ranked once at MSU, but he'll never be able to sustain that for many years in a row.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    A year ago, people were saying "Improving the offense from year one to two is a lot easier in the Big 12 and PAC 12, gonna be much harder in the SEC."

Two years ago, people were saying that Leach's offense would never succeed whatsoever in the SEC.

A year from now, people will say that sure Leach was able to finish ranked once at MSU, but he'll never be able to sustain that for many years in a row.
    We ain't done nothing yet so nothing to brag about yet. Let him do something great and I'll gladly eat crow over his O pushing MSU to the top. I ain't seen nothing yet that tells me it will work at that level. We already showed we could win ave 7-8 games a year with how we had been doing it. The new O was supposed to let us beat the blue bloods. Ain't produced nothing, actually gone backwards.

Year 3, put up or shut up. And yeah he'll get a year 4 or 5 like Croom so it is either bury our program or raise it up, no in between.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    We ain't done nothing yet so nothing to brag about yet. Let him do something great and I'll gladly eat crow over his O pushing MSU to the top. I ain't seen nothing yet that tells me it will work at that level. We already showed we could win ave 7-8 games a year with how we had been doing it. The new O was supposed to let us beat the blue bloods. Ain't produced nothing, actually gone backwards.

Year 3, put up or shut up. And yeah he'll get a year 4 or 5 like Croom so it is either bury our program or raise it up, no in between.
    Well, he finished 2 teams that finished ranked this past year, something Mullen did 3 times in 9 years. That's not "nothing."

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post

If you?re waiting on someone to come in here and consistently beat all of the blue bloods then you?re going to die an unhappy man. That?s not happening no matter who we hire. We beat 3 teams that finished ranked in the college football playoff top 25 last year. We didn?t finish the season like anyone wanted and we left a couple of games on the table (mainly due to the defense and special teams), but if you can?t see the offense is going to work you are really trying hard not to see it.

Banned
    vCash
    If you?re waiting on someone to come in here and consistently beat all of the blue bloods then you?re going to die an unhappy man. That?s not happening no matter who we hire. We beat 3 teams that finished ranked in the college football playoff top 25 last year. We didn?t finish the season like anyone wanted and we left a couple of games on the table (mainly due to the defense and special teams), but if you can?t see the offense is going to work you are really trying hard not to see it.
    I'm not saying that. That is what everyone who was defending the air raid were saying we had to do to move the MSU bar which is why we had to go air raid. The air raid would offset the talent difference. I'm saying the opposite. We proved we can compete and win the way MSU has proven we can. Has the air raid delivered on what everyone else said it would do? An emphatic NO!