Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basketball portal already getting guys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    And Reed's minutes are probably up for grabs?
    Reed is done, I believe. Which is good. It never clicked for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    PG- Rams*/Hubbard
    SG- Fort/Shak*/Transfer
    SF- DJ*/Transfer
    PF- Cam/Scott/Transfer
    C- Tolu*/McNair*/Transfer

*if they come back
    I think jones will play next year. He was wildly inconsistent this season, but he played as a freshman. I expect him to beef up some this offseason, and become a player

vCash
    Is Tolu worth a big package? His game is sort of dated for modern basketball. Of course we'd take him back but at what cost? He'd be a lot more effective if we can buy some shooters too. College basketball is a guard driven game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klong-dog View Post
    Why would Shak be 50/50?
    He put his name in the portal last year. Looking for a better NIL deal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    He put his name in the portal last year. Looking for a better NIL deal
    Unless he is a graduate he would have to sit.. he could have left last year because of coaching change

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    Is Tolu worth a big package? His game is sort of dated for modern basketball. Of course we'd take him back but at what cost? He'd be a lot more effective if we can buy some shooters too. College basketball is a guard driven game
    For Jans, I would say yes. He has shown he can get players to utilize him. We have to get somebody that can shoot from the perimeter, but while I like McNair, if we lose Tolu and that's who we replace him with, we need a superstar perimeter player, which we probably won't be in play for. If we keep Tolu, we just need one and preferably two solid shooters that will play defense the way that Jans requires. I think it will be much easier for us to be competitive for those players.

All that said, we aren't going to be able to compete with what he can get in Europe I don't think. He's going to have to want to stay. Although I think his game doesn't fit great with most international ball either so maybe that will bring his value down. Not sure how much that will really hurt him though. He'll face a lot of post players that can bring him away from the rim consistently, but he'll also face a lot of post players that are not strong enough to stop him from getting position where he wants.

vCash
    Tolu has problems away from the rim on offense and defense. Which is kind of weird given how finesse he plays

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Unless he is a graduate he would have to sit.. he could have left last year because of coaching change
    Eh, it's a pretty easy bar to meet. If he really wanted to be eligible immediately, he could likely figure out a way to do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Eh, it's a pretty easy bar to meet. If he really wanted to be eligible immediately, he could likely figure out a way to do it.
    He's just finishing up his third year. Certainly not hard to get an easy degree in three years with summer school, but you have to plan for it, especially if you're in a sport that plays in the fall and spring semester. Unless he's been focused on graduating early from the beginning, I can't imagine he's averaging more than 15 credits in the fall and spring semesters. That'd put him at 90 hours plus whatever he has gotten in summer school or intercession. 12 hours in summer school more or less sucks and that only gets him to 114 if he took 12 after his freshman and sophomore years.

Now certainly if he wants to transfer after summer school, he likely should be able to do that. Not sure what that does to his potential landing spots. But I wouldn't just assume he'll be ready to graduate at the end of this semester. If he did a more typical thing and has had some semesters with only 12 hours, even graduating at the end of the summer may be hard to do.

vCash
    He's just finishing up his third year. Certainly not hard to get an easy degree in three years with summer school, but you have to plan for it, especially if you're in a sport that plays in the fall and spring semester. Unless he's been focused on graduating early from the beginning, I can't imagine he's averaging more than 15 credits in the fall and spring semesters. That'd put him at 90 hours plus whatever he has gotten in summer school or intercession. 12 hours in summer school more or less sucks and that only gets him to 114 if he took 12 after his freshman and sophomore years.

Now certainly if he wants to transfer after summer school, he likely should be able to do that. Not sure what that does to his potential landing spots. But I wouldn't just assume he'll be ready to graduate at the end of this semester. If he did a more typical thing and has had some semesters with only 12 hours, even graduating at the end of the summer may be hard to do.
    I'm just saying that proving a 'hardship' of some kind has become easier and easier. So it seems likely that if he wants it bad enough, he can figure out a way to finagle his way to playing immediately.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    Seems I heard the announcers during the men's NCAA game say Tolu was coming back. Any word?
    He may come back but you misinterpreted the announcer...He was referencing the news Jans got when he was hired that Tolu was coming back.
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'm just saying that proving a 'hardship' of some kind has become easier and easier. So it seems likely that if he wants it bad enough, he can figure out a way to finagle his way to playing immediately.
    Gotcha. THought you were responding to the reference to being a graduate. Also, I think the hardship isn't granted until after you identify a school to transfer to? If he negotiates a deal (presumably contingent on being granted immediate eligibility), then goes through the hardship application, even if he can get a ruling before he finalizes his transfer (I'm not sure if that usually happens?), if he doesn't get the waiver, can he really come back to MSU's team? I would assume we'd move on from him at that point so he'd more or less have to commit to transferring whether he gets immediate eligibility or not. I'm also not sure what kind of deal he could command. I'm certainly glad we have him and think he's a really good piece for Jans, but I'm not sure what other schools are really going to see him as the type of piece to put together a good NIL deal for.

vCash
    Gotcha. THought you were responding to the reference to being a graduate. Also, I think the hardship isn't granted until after you identify a school to transfer to? If he negotiates a deal (presumably contingent on being granted immediate eligibility), then goes through the hardship application, even if he can get a ruling before he finalizes his transfer (I'm not sure if that usually happens?), if he doesn't get the waiver, can he really come back to MSU's team? I would assume we'd move on from him at that point so he'd more or less have to commit to transferring whether he gets immediate eligibility or not. I'm also not sure what kind of deal he could command. I'm certainly glad we have him and think he's a really good piece for Jans, but I'm not sure what other schools are really going to see him as the type of piece to put together a good NIL deal for.
    I don't disagree, if I'm Jans I ask him if he's in or not for next year and give him a relatively short window to decide and then once he gives me an answer, I'm moving on one way or another. He's been a good player for us and I like him, but he's not a guy you wait around for. If he's in, great. If he's out or not sure if he's in or not, then he's out and we move on to filling his spot.