Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Back in the ncaa tourney vs Pittsburgh game thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'm ok with the shot. These guys practice the corner 3 more than they do the same shot from 10 feet closer.
    I'm fine with the shot. As a college player in a P6 conference you're supposed to make that shot 100 times out of 100. He was the only guy on that side of the floor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    The old style inside out, feed the post game will not win in today?s basketball. We have to get better shooting the ball. Take more threes be fewer long twos. Get to the line. Space the floor.
    KB's new campaign

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Jans is great, but he isn't above criticism. He emptied the bench when we were up 6 early in the game. 10-0 Pitt run. That matters. You can't do that in the tourney. The TOs are longer... you get more rest. Play your horses
    You can criticize all you want but his coaching style didn't change tonight. I mean Matthews hasn't given us anything for two weeks so playing Jones Jr & Stevenson didn't hurt us there. He only sit Davis in the second half bc he had too. Bottom line is we didn't hit the same shots we haven't hit all year. You're not gonna win many games shooting 26% from 3's especially when you take 23 of them & tolu got whooped all night inside, unfortunately. We just have to get better shooters.

vCash
    The old style inside out, feed the post game will not win in today?s basketball. We have to get better shooting the ball. Take more threes be fewer long twos. Get to the line. Space the floor.
    I think we were forced to play that way because of lack of outside scoring

vCash
    KB's new campaign
    LMAO ... I was thinking same thing ... "Here we go again!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I'm fine with the shot. As a college player in a P6 conference you're supposed to make that shot 100 times out of 100. He was the only guy on that side of the floor.
    Wide freaking open.

vCash
    Yes and no. You're right that you really need a team who can hit those shots...but if you don't have that team, you have to do something else. Can't just keep shooting them.

I actually thought our gameplan in the 2nd half was a really good one, and we turned up the heat even more defensively. Just could not make anything and couldn't keep from turning it over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    We will have a mostly different team next year and could possibly end up better offensively. That says a lot about the players that Howland left. Bull crap on his recruiting ability. If you ain?t recruiting shooters, you ain?t recruiting for basketball. Athletes are for football. Shooters are for basketball.
    And we need a mostly different team. We need to find shooters. We currently have 0 on our team and we need a minimum of 5. You need two to three shooters starting and a couple on your bench.

vCash
    Jans is great, but he isn't above criticism. He emptied the bench when we were up 6 early in the game. 10-0 Pitt run. That matters. You can't do that in the tourney. The TOs are longer... you get more rest. Play your horses
    Thisn and it wasn't the first time the subs lost a lead or destroyed our momentum this year, especially in the first half. Sorry for beating this dead horse. I'm done.

vCash
    Jans did a hell of a job with this team. He took a team with zero shooters, little to no bench production, and starters that disappeared the last quarter of the season and made the NCAA tournament.

Jans also probably lost the game because he kept trying to put Eric Reed in there to jack up shots and play awful defense.

vCash
    Notre Dame?s girl guard would have made that shot with Blair Schaefer in her face. Winners make the shot. Losers have a long ride home.

vCash
    Jans did a hell of a job with this team. He took a team with zero shooters, little to no bench production, and starters that disappeared the last quarter of the season and made the NCAA tournament.
    This. The guys a winner and we're only gonna get better

vCash
    Shak from 3: 26.4%
    Shak from 2: 52.6%

^^^ season stats
    Last edited by msstate7; 03-14-2023 at 11:04 PM.

vCash
    Actually JMHO ... with Jeffries, Davis, and Shak I think the shooting is a mental thing. They have good mechanics when they follow thru smoothly with the wrist curled over. They also need a lot of space to shoot ... also a mental thing.

So I kinda wonder ... why is it a mental thing so much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    We will have a mostly different team next year and could possibly end up better offensively. That says a lot about the players that Howland left. Bull crap on his recruiting ability. If you ain?t recruiting shooters, you ain?t recruiting for basketball. Athletes are for football. Shooters are for basketball.

And hell. They would even be athletic on the court if the NCAA mandated proper dribbling instead of palming they ball. The so called hesitation move is just blatant palming.
    Pickings may have been slim at the time, but Davis was the only recruit he brought in that was a steady contributor after he got well.

Our 500th Member
    vCash

Jans also probably lost the game because he kept trying to put Eric Reed in there to jack up shots and play awful defense.
    This. You have to play the hand you're dealt. The fact is we weren't good at the guard position at all, Cam totally disappeared & you never knew what you were going to get with DJ or Shak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Actually JMHO ... with Jeffries, Davis, and Shak I think the shooting is a mental thing. They have good mechanics when they follow thru smoothly with the wrist curled over. They also need a lot of space to shoot ... also a mental thing.

So I kinda wonder ... why is it a mental thing so much.
    Whether it's mental or not we need to bring in guys who can shoot and don't have a mental block. Those 3 don't shoot it well enough to warrant being on the floor. If we're going to have to continue to play through the post then we're going to have to surround Tolu with 4 shooters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    They're showing it now. It was suppose to be a lob to Tulu
    Coach just said that on the postgame show but Shak was so open.

vCash
    Shak from 3: 26.4%
    Shak from 2: 52.6%

^^^ season stats
    Then he needs to be replaced. 26% can't play at this level if you're a guard. Especially if you're a guard on a team that plays inside out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    I think we were forced to play that way because of lack of outside scoring
    Agree. Historically, his team has around 43% of their shots from three.