Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coordinator and position coach interviews

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Important enough that Coach Leach changed his philosophy to increase our rushing attempts significantly early in games this season.
    Yes, but QBs and WRs still knew they were going to get a lot of reps and that attracted higher quality players at those positions. The argument from me was that.

Now, we will have to see if we can continue that trend with a Pro Style. A 50-57% passer will not cut it with this system or any other system in the SEC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We don't have the personnel to be run first IMO- for 2023. Marks couldn't even make it through fall camp without getting injured. Price is good. Pittman is an unknown JUCO guy that we're hoping is Vick Ballard 2.0.

We do have Will Rogers who is an accurate QB who takes care of the ball. Which is a good thing. We have several very talented WR's in Robinson, Roberson, Tulu, Walley, Zavion, and Harvey. And now we've added a four star TE in Goede. Then Mike Wright is a dual threat QB we could use in spots.

If we're running the ball 50% of the time with our current personnel we're not maximizing our talent for 2023. We'll see what Barbay does with it.
    I some what agree with this. I get many of the points made by several. Even KB. I don't think we are going to get an OC that all of the sudden changes his concepts though.

vCash
    Most fans want a 50/50 split. That's actually progress from the days when our fans didn't believe we could consistently pass at all which was as recent as when Moorhead left. You can actually thank Mike Leach for changing that with our fan base- for the better.

I think we should be 60/40 pass/run myself.
    And change that up based on what the defense is giving up. I have no problem with 45/55 run if we are popping them in the mouth and they can't stop it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    And change that up based on what the defense is giving up. I have no problem with 45/55 run if we are popping them in the mouth and they can't stop it.
    Agree. And I think that is what we will do in reading between the lines on what Arnett and Barbay have said. But on average based on our personnel I think we will end up 60/40 next year. I?m excited to see how all this plays out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    He also says it all begins with the running game, so its obvious that he's going to try and establish that aspect of the offense even though establishing the running game is not important. Establishing the passing game is far more important.
    You do realize that him saying it begins with the running come doesn't automatically mean he will force feed the run to "establish" it. It simply means that the run game is extremely important to making an offense go. I can say bunting helps establish a baseline for a good hitter. That doesn't mean that he will bunt every time he's at the plate or even a majority of the time. It simply means that to be a good hitter, being able to bunt successful is almost always a pre-requisite. I can say being able to score in the paint helps establish the outside shot, that doesn't mean that we are going to shoot 20 or less 3's per game. It simply means that it's important to have a good big mean who can score when the 3 isn't working.

I say all that knowing you're one of the biggest idiots I've ever seen on a message board and knowing you're going to say some stupid off the wall remark that takes anything I said out of context.

vCash
    We don't have the personnel to be run first IMO- for 2023. Marks couldn't even make it through fall camp without getting injured. Price is good. Pittman is an unknown JUCO guy that we're hoping is Vick Ballard 2.0.

We do have Will Rogers who is an accurate QB who takes care of the ball. Which is a good thing. We have several very talented WR's in Robinson, Roberson, Tulu, Walley, Zavion, and Harvey. And now we've added a four star TE in Goede. Then Mike Wright is a dual threat QB we could use in spots.

If we're running the ball 50% of the time with our current personnel we're not maximizing our talent for 2023. We'll see what Barbay does with it.
    +1

vCash
    Most fans want a 50/50 split. That's actually progress from the days when our fans didn't believe we could consistently pass at all which was as recent as when Moorhead left. You can actually thank Mike Leach for changing that with our fan base- for the better.

I think we should be 60/40 pass/run myself.
    Nothing in this coordinator's history suggests that he will favor the pass with his play calling at all.
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    Yes, but QBs and WRs still knew they were going to get a lot of reps and that attracted higher quality players at those positions. The argument from me was that.

Now, we will have to see if we can continue that trend with a Pro Style. A 50-57% passer will not cut it with this system or any other system in the SEC.
    Ben Arbuckle from Western Kentucky would have been a better hire for this reason.

vCash
    Ben Arbuckle from Western Kentucky would have been a better hire for this reason.
    A guy with 1 year OC experience and who was an assistant high school coach 2 years ago to come into this league as an OC? No way can you make that decision. He may end up being good, time will tell but extremely too risky of a chance to bring him in.

vCash
    A guy with 1 year OC experience and who was an assistant high school coach 2 years ago to come into this league as an OC? No way can you make that decision. He may end up being good, time will tell but extremely too risky of a chance to bring him in.
    It would have been well worth the risk to maintain the pass first Air Raid scheme. I mean, we hired a guy with only 2 years of coordinator experience whose only experience at the power 5 level is as an off the field assistant.

vCash
    It would have been well worth the risk to maintain the pass first Air Raid scheme. I mean, we hired a guy with only 2 years of coordinator experience whose only experience at the power 5 level is as an off the field assistant.
    3 years experience. He was OC at Stephen F Austin for a year as well. 10 years of college on the field experience > than 2 years. Barbay has as more OC experience much less overall coaching experience on the college level than Arbuckle's entire college coaching career. You can't spin the experience level between the 2 of them. It's not even close.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 02-03-2023 at 11:02 AM.

vCash
    3 years experience. He was OC at Stephen F Austin for a year as well. 10 years of college on the field experience > than 2 years. Barbay has as more OC experience much less overall coaching experience on the college level than Arbuckle's entire college coaching career. You can't spin the experience level between the 2 of them. It's not even close.
    I still would have hired him or promoted Hollingshead over hiring Barbay.

vCash
    One of an infinite number of reasons you are not now, nor will you ever be, paid millions to make that decision.

Don't let the fries burn.

vCash
    Well I'm sure you would, but your delusions run deep though. Kittley was the only possibility we considered from that branch, correctly btw, and he wasn't leaving TT. You could not consider the other 2 you want for this league at this point and time in their careers. Foolish idea
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 02-03-2023 at 11:23 AM.

vCash
    Well I'm sure you would, but your delusions run deep though. Kittley was the only possibility we considered from that branch, correctly btw, and he wasn't leaving TT. You could not consider the other 2 you want for this league at this point and time in their careers. Foolish idea
    So, instead of pursuing another Air Raid coach, we decide to pursue a coach with limited experience as a play caller who comes from Jim McElwain's pro style system. A system that was a complete disaster at Florida when McElwain was the coach there.

vCash
    I would have taken either over Barbay as well, but I have to admit that ZA's statement about us not changing much in the passing game and how we'd be foolish to do so does give me hope that we'll see him match his system to the players we have. So while I still have some intrepidation, I'm more willing to let it play out than I was.

vCash
    Yeah, cause Clemson and Bama were falling all over themselves to hire Hollingshead. There's a reason we hired another OC and didn't promote from within.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Yeah, cause Clemson and Bama were falling all over themselves to hire Hollingshead. There's a reason we hired another OC and didn't promote from within.
    Literally makes no sense...Clemson and Bama weren't and currently aren't falling over themselves for Barbay either...

vCash
    So, instead of pursuing another Air Raid coach, we decide to pursue a coach with limited experience as a play caller who comes from Jim McElwain's pro style system. A system that was a complete disaster at Florida when McElwain was the coach there.
    Barbay didn't run anything at Florida. Quit using strawmen for your narcissistic narrative.

Air Raid is irrelevant as there was no one else realistic we could or should have hired. Period. Get help, get over it or just get lost. You pick one of those three to fix your mental disorder or to at least keep to yourself.

vCash
    KB it does not matter. We hired Kevin Barbay. Whether you think it is a good hire or not, we made it. And since none of us are making the decisions, SHUT THE F*** UP ABOUT IT. You can be mad, that is completely ok and you are well within your right, but if you are going to continually complain and try to act like the smartest person in the room I am sure RebelGrove or whatever David Johnson is calling his site will happily accept a new member.