Thread: The final 1:19 of Texas vs Abilene Christian, took 17 minutes..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The problem is that it may be a close game, so theoretically exciting...except the reason it's so slowed down is because a huge part of it is just free throws and dead time. That's not exciting.
    Look at it like this .
    Football is played for 60 minutes
    How much of that 60 minutes is actual live action? Maybe 1/8
    I bet there are more commercial breaks during a football game than basketball.

Maybe college hoops isn’t your cup of tea.. and that’s fine

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Look at it like this .

College football has gotten boring as hell too. Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, rando

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Look at it like this .

I think there are now too many extended stops in football, too. But that's what the sport is from the opening kick on. It's isolated plays with stops in between, but the plays themselves are action-packed and intense. You also can't dictate what the other team does on offense at any point, you just have to stop them.

In basketball, not only are there extended stops at the end, far more so than at any other point in the game, but only when one team has the ball is there any actual action. You can dictate what the other team does by just immediately fouling them and sending them to the FT line. It allows for closer games sometimes, but it also feels artificial and cheap. It is just a feature of the way the sport works and the way it's officiated, though, you're right. And I've always had an issue with it. The Elam ending is an interesting idea to get away from that, and I also think refs more willing to call intentional fouls would also help avoid it as well. Figure out a way to force the defense to try to get stops or steals rather than just fouling the other team as fast as they can.