Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Draft

vCash

MLB Draft

It looks like a bunch of our signees are being selected in the first few rounds. What are the chances they still come? I have seen Highfill, Dakota J, Holcombe, Loftin all selected in the first 200 or so picks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    It looks like a bunch of our signees are being selected in the first few rounds. What are the chances they still come? I have seen Highfill, Dakota J, Holcombe, Loftin all selected in the first 200 or so picks.
    1st rounder and they are gone.

vCash
    All 4 of those will not be selected in the first round. Jett Williams looks to be the only one going in the first.

vCash
    If anyone of them get drafted in the first ten rounds they are gone. Meaning, the team is willing to pay and knows they can sign them. Not much wasting of picks anymore

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    If anyone of them get drafted in the first ten rounds they are gone. Meaning, the team is willing to pay and knows they can sign them. Not much wasting of picks anymore
    Well, looks like this class is gutted.

ETA: I went and checked and the first 2 rds are today, so I guess none have been “selected” yet. I guess the OP meant they are projected to be chosen in those spots.
    Last edited by AlSwearengen; 07-17-2022 at 03:03 PM.

vCash
    This isn't necessarily true. With the reduction of minor league teams, you don't have to stockpile so many picks, so saving slot money to go after higher end folks is the name of the game. It's why the Braves traded what they did for the comp. 1st round pick the other day. They want more pool money (2.2 million dollars more) and not necessarily whoever they draft in that spot.

Kids might get picked in the first 5 rounds with teams knowing full well they are going to low ball to either try and steal a kid and/or save on pool money to sign other kids. Or low ball seniors and save pool money.

MLB has had to get smart with NIL now directly competing with their college talent pool. Guys in the 3rd through 5th round can go to college and get some decent money now if you go below slot, which some teams will do.

I'll be interested to see how teams spend money this year. But I don't think it's a guarantee guys are gone in certain rounds because the money has to be right.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 07-17-2022 at 03:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Well, looks like this class is gutted.

ETA: I went and checked and the first 2 rds are today, so I guess none have been “selected” yet. I guess the OP meant they are projected to be chosen in those spots.
    What are you talking about? Gutted how??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    This isn't necessarily true. With the reduction of minor league teams, kyou don't have to stockpile so many picks, so saving slot money to go after higher end folks is the name of the game. It's why the Braves traded what they did for the comp. 1st round pick the other day. They want more pool money (2.2 million dollars more) and not necessarily whoever they draft in that spot.

Kids might get picked in the first 5 rounds with teams knowing full well they are going to low ball to either try and steal a kid and/or save on pool money to sign other kids. Or low ball seniors and save pool money.

MLB has had to get smart with NIL now directly competing with their college talent pool. Guys in the 3rd through 5th round can go to college and get some decent money now if you go below slot, which some teams will do.

I'll be interested to see how teams spend money this year. But I don't think it's a guarantee guys are gone in certain rounds because the money has to be right.
    What I said is absolutely true. Teams don't take many chances on guys they can't sign in the first ten rounds . I know how it works. If they go in the first ten rounds don't count on seeing them. It doesn't mean they aren't a top ten round prospect if they are taken. Just the teams don't like the players signability.
    Last edited by Homedawg; 07-17-2022 at 06:00 PM.

vCash
    Kumar Rocker drafted #3 overall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Hope he's finally healthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Hope he's finally healthy.
    He’s probably agreed to a value below the slot. That gives the rangers more money to use in other rounds.

vCash
    #1 pick - son of MLB all-star Matt Holliday
    #2 pick - son of MLB all-star Andruw Jones
    #3 pick - son of college All-American and NFL player Tracy Rocker

vCash
    Sure didn?t expect his name at #3.

Rangers now with Leiter and Rocker.

vCash
    He’s probably agreed to a value below the slot. That gives the rangers more money to use in other rounds.
    Well he was drafted 10th overall last year and didn’t sign. So why would he take less money? Well, under slot money.

vCash
    What are you talking about? Gutted how??
    Reading the original post, I thought he was saying that those signees had already been drafted. That combined with your post saying that a team that drafts a player in the first 10 rds knew they could sign them led me to believe they were going to sign.

I misunderstood the original post.

vCash
    Where is sims gonna be drafted and who are the braves getting at 20?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Sims is likely in the second round.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Braves go with Connor Prielipp or Jackson Cannon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Sims is likely in the second round.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Braves go with Connor Prielipp or Jackson Cannon.
    I asked the question like a DA knowing I wouldn't know the player. Thanks anyway. Hopefully braves get sims in 2nd

vCash
    Rumor is Sims after 60 he will be back in Starkville

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Later than he should and he's going to be the first pitcher in the draft not named rocker to make it to the bigs. I'll say LS at 36