Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Economy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    This. But stores are not doing that because it creates a bigger demand which equals more money in their pocket. trust me. They LOVE selling out of items in an hour.

Some of our major chain stores have done this and expanded on those items. Paper products, cleaning supplies, and dairy products have all been like this since last week. It's not like it still wouldn't sell. It will just allow it to be more spread out. It's really no different other than preventing hoarding possibly.

I actually heard yesterday that they have capped 2 items per on canned goods and other essential goods starting yesterday. This may or may not be true though. I haven't gone to a store since Monday.

vCash
    A buddy of mine told the chain of stores he works for will not be putting out Ad's.

In their announcement they said they won't have sale items because they cannot guarantee a supply of them.

So, everything will be regular price, no sales and no advertising.

They aren't exactly raising prices, but they won't be reducing any to get you in the door and they won't be advertising.

I guess we all shopping right now no matter the price uh?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    A buddy of mine told the chain of stores he works for will not be putting out Ad's.

In their announcement they said they won't have sale items because they cannot guarantee a supply of them.

So, everything will be regular price, no sales and no advertising.

They aren't exactly raising prices, but they won't be reducing any to get you in the door and they won't be advertising.

I guess we all shopping right now no matter the price uh?

Is this is actually surprising though?

I'll gladly pay you the 0.25 or 0.50 that could've been saved to get the box of pasta, rice, beans, potatoes, etc. if it feeds my family. Especially if someone else is tripping over not having coupons to clip.

vCash
    I honestly do not feel like "Hoarding" is much of the issue right now. It's just that a large part of our population does not plan ahead enough to have a stocked pantry. Most people nowadays buy food as they need it. People were buying stuff because they honestly wouldn't have food to eat if restaurants shut down and grocery stores were not ready to handle that demand.
    Again, it is perfectly wise and normal to realize that if most everybody shows up at the store to buy food in a 1-3 day period, there will be a shortage so buy when you can. It's why I posted this warning last week. And I didn't have to deal with the masses. But it's nobody's fault. I wish people will quit blaming mass hysteria and hoarding. It's simple supply and demand and I would rather have the food in my cabinets before the covid germs are on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I honestly do not feel like "Hoarding" is much of the issue right now. It's just that a large part of our population does not plan ahead enough to have a stocked pantry. Most people nowadays buy food as they need it. People were buying stuff because they honestly wouldn't have food to eat if restaurants shut down and grocery stores were not ready to handle that demand.
    Again, it is perfectly wise and normal to realize that if most everybody shows up at the store to buy food in a 1-3 day period, there will be a shortage so buy when you can. It's why I posted this warning last week. And I didn't have to deal with the masses. But it's nobody's fault. I wish people will quit blaming mass hysteria and hoarding. It's simple supply and demand and I would rather have the food in my cabinets before the covid germs are on it.
    Agree. Most people don't plan for anything. Paycheck to paycheck, day to day. Businesses operate their supplies in just in time manor. This is what you get in the overly connected world where we have built a house of cards. The next generation trusts everything, every app and gadget that comes out. That thinking will bite some down the road. No reason to panic but being prepared is wise counsel. That said you can't prepare for every circumstance either. Like those who think we should actually have 5 million ventilators just in case. What is next? Everything in life has some risk, you act on probability of risks.

vCash
    https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/19...WyEzTl_XuM_gDI

This has some slant to it as well but raises some good questions about the economic impact

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/19...WyEzTl_XuM_gDI

This has some slant to it as well but raises some good questions about the economic impact
    Brings up some points I've considered myself. Washington and his troops were hunkered down at Valley Forge with smallpox running thru the camp ... which is much more contagious than this seems to be. Good thing they weathered the storm.

vCash
    Anyone heard the rumor about refinery's shutting down and gas supply trucks being taken off the roads?

vCash

COMPLETELY FALSE

Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Anyone heard the rumor about refinery's shutting down and gas supply trucks being taken off the roads?
    nm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxdog View Post
    nm
    Appreciate it. I figured as much.

vCash
    Appreciate it. I figured as much.
    Different subject:
    When do folks make a run on their bank $?
    If the Dow Jones goes to 14-15k...which would be
    a drop of 50+%....would that trigger it?

I?m thinking about pulling $15k out Monday to
    have some on hand just in case.

vCash
    As long as they have folks healthy to operate, that ain’t happening. We sending hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil and millions cubic feet of gas their way daily. The US govt gets royalties on every barrel. Billions. Talks happen daily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TALL DAWG View Post
    Different subject:
    When do folks make a run on their bank $?
    If the Dow Jones goes to 14-15k...which would be
    a drop of 50+%....would that trigger it?

I?m thinking about pulling $15k out Monday to
    have some on hand just in case.
    Things like this is what leads to more panic. Just saying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Things like this is what leads to more panic. Just saying.
    Yeah stay cool keep your money in the bank. Sure keep some cash on hand but stay cool for now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    As long as they have folks healthy to operate, that ain’t happening. We sending hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil and millions cubic feet of gas their way daily. The US govt gets royalties on every barrel. Billions. Talks happen daily.
    Appreciate it I figured as much! Always good info on here.

vCash
    Yeah stay cool keep your money in the bank. Sure keep some cash on hand but stay cool for now.
    Agree. The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.

vCash
    I always keep 60k in cash at the house. Just saying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    I always keep 60k in cash at the house. Just saying.
    What's your address?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Corona loves to stick to cash.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    But if they would have continued to "buy food as they need it" we wouldn't be sitting here. They bought as if the store was going to close down. In my small town last Sunday the egg isle was slap full, in a day or two it was empty. I don't mean a few eggs I mean EMPTY. No eggs, no bacon, no orange juice, no water, no toilet paper, no sandwich meat, no bread. You name it, it's just about gone in 1-2 days. That isn't normal and that isn't buy as you need it.

My wife and I went and got a few things, not because we were trying to run to the store but because we actually needed to go before Sunday but I refused because of how packed it was and all the craziness. Why be around a huge grocery crowd during this? The problem is the store didn't get ahead of this thing and limit people on what they got. I saw someone with a buggy full of meat. I don't mean other items in the bottom with meat on top, I mean strictly meat mound up over the top of the buggy. Do you call that hoarding or buying as needed?

Now, no not everybody did that but the few that did do that are the ones that are causing the problems.