Thread: 2022 MSU FOOTBALL RECRUITING Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    I'll say this about Dalton Davis and it's more of a general statement.

I think sometimes people focus too much on 40 times and measurables and not enough on whether a guy can actually play the game or not.

I've seen this play out several times. A guy is too small, not fast enough, skinny, doesn't have enough hair on his chest, etc. And then that player goes somewhere else and plays well and sometimes even gets a shot in the NFL.

And then we get some guy that did well at camp but can't play and they just end up being a never ending project or able to maybe contribute some their senior year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'll say this about Dalton Davis and it's more of a general statement.

I think sometimes people focus too much on 40 times and measurables and not enough on whether a guy can actually play the game or not.

I've seen this play out several times. A guy is too small, not fast enough, skinny, doesn't have enough hair on his chest, etc. And then that player goes somewhere else and plays well and sometimes even gets a shot in the NFL.

And then we get some guy that did well at camp but can't play and they just end up being a never ending project or able to maybe contribute some their senior year.
    If you're talking about the Davis Dalton kid at MRA he needs to be a last resort option or offer him a PWO spot. Getting open, catching the ball, and absorbing the blow are a completely different animal in the SEC than they are in the MAIS. It's not even in the same atmosphere. Hell the CUSA will be an adjustment for him. It's great to ball out against PCS and Lamar but I don't see many alumni from those places playing on Saturdays. He'll take a minimum of two years to even get him up to speed and his body prepared for this level

Also....everyone is complaining about our recruiting rankings but want us to go offer an MAIS kid with no P5 offers. I'm sure we'll really shoot up the rankings with that one. Go all in on Thomas and Pope. The days of offering a kid because gah lee gee his dad played here and Bob from Bogue Chitto knows his grandparents need to be long gone.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 10-07-2021 at 08:44 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    If you're talking about the Davis Dalton kid at MRA he needs to be a last resort option or offer him a PWO spot. Getting open, catching the ball, and absorbing the blow are a completely different animal in the SEC than they are in the MAIS. It's not even in the same atmosphere. Hell the CUSA will be an adjustment for him. It's great to ball out against PCS and Lamar but I don't see many alumni from those places playing on Saturdays. He'll take a minimum of two years to even get him up to speed and his body prepared for this level

Also....everyone is complaining about our recruiting rankings but want us to go offer an MAIS kid with no P5 offers. I'm sure we'll really shoot up the rankings with that one. Go all in on Thomas and Pope. The days of offering a kid because gah lee gee his dad played here and Bob from Bogue Chitto knows his grandparents need to be long gone.
    Amen to this one!

vCash
    Getting open, catching the ball, and absorbing the blow are a completely different animal in the SEC than they are in the MAIS. It's not even in the same atmosphere. Hell the CUSA will be an adjustment for him. It's great to ball out against PCS and Lamar but I don't see many alumni from those places playing on Saturdays. He'll take a minimum of two years to even get him up to speed and his body prepared for this level.
    I?m not advocating for signing Dalton, but this is just a stupid and lazy take. We have three other players committed from MAIS (Elam, Dakota Jordan, and Miller) yet nobody has said this about them. Dillon Jonson came from MAIS and played last year as a true freshman. Jon Banks came to MSU and excelled as a skinny true freshman from a small public school that didn?t play anywhere close to the competition level that MRA has played. We often sign public school players that play weaker competition than what MRA has faced and nobody ever mentions them absorbing blows, getting up to speed, etc. Jon Banks, Jamal Peters, Discenzo Miller, and many more come to mind.

I think we can do better than Dalton. I think SEC ball is an adjustment for everyone. I think smaller school players do have a larger adjustment to make. But let?s not act like 1A, 2A, and 3A public players are playing in some tough league while MRA is playing flag football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    I?m not advocating for signing Dalton, but this is just a stupid and lazy take. We have three other players committed from MAIS (Elam, Dakota Jordan, and Miller) yet nobody has said this about them. Dillon Jonson came from MAIS and played last year as a true freshman. Jon Banks came to MSU and excelled as a skinny true freshman from a small public school that didn?t play anywhere close to the competition level that MRA has played. We often sign public school players that play weaker competition than what MRA has faced and nobody ever mentions them absorbing blows, getting up to speed, etc. Jon Banks, Jamal Peters, Discenzo Miller, and many more come to mind.

I think we can do better than Dalton. I think SEC ball is an adjustment for everyone. I think smaller school players do have a larger adjustment to make. But let?s not act like 1A, 2A, and 3A public players are playing in some tough league while MRA is playing flag football.
    Then stop advocating for why we need to offer him. you started by saying that you weren't for signing him and then gave all the reasons why we should. As I said 4 previous times, I'm not against giving the kid a PWO and letting him prove himself. All I'm saying is don't waste a scholarship on a kid who at most could contribute one year for you.

vCash

I'm fine taking 1-2 players a year like Dalton. The SEC is a big jump from MAIS. It's also a big jump from 6A ball in Mississippi. With recruits I'm not too concerned if they aren't able to immediately help us because I don't expect that of any of them. That's not even the case for most incoming freshmen at Alabama and we shouldn't not take a player because of that otherwise our classes would be very small because they're all in the same boat as far as that. If he can get into a SEC program and work hard and get his body right by the time he is a sophomore or junior he could be a very productive player for us.

At the same time we shouldn't just run down a player because he is from MAIS and a MSU fan either. Sometimes players that end up somewhere they truly want to be play above their abilities. If he becomes Austin Williams 2.0 for us I would be very happy with that.