Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Any info from practice?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    No, it's not just LT. We've got some issues.
    Disagree. Nick Jones, Sharp, Cole Smith/Reese, Kam Jones at LG to RT will be fine. If Dolla handles LT, the OL will be fine

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Honestly in my perfect football world we would be balanced. My favorite offense of all time is the Bill Walsh West Coast Offense from the 80's and early 90's. It was pass first but they could also run the ball. Some of the philosophies that Walsh had are similar to Leach and the Air Raid guys- short passes resulting in long gains with YAC (Jerry Rice) and passes that were extensions of the running game. Attacking space. Some of it of course if very different with the Air Raid.

My hope is that once Leach leaves we will have a good enough handle on the passing game and have that established enough that we can be more balanced with the next coach whoever that is. Realistically speaking we're not going to find coach that throws more than Leach anyway. Even if it is an Air Raid guy.

I agree with attacking downfield more. I think that may improve now that Will has more experience. Will is actually quite accurate on deep passes. So the opportunity is there. Along with that more wheel routes to give us match up advantages. I know that jet sweeps with WR's were in the playbook at one point in time with Leach. We definitely motion into it at times. Tulu or Calvin could be pretty good at running those I would think. Maybe now that we have a more experienced team we'll see some of those things.
    When leach leaves the next coach is screwed bc we will have to do a full shift of personnel. And don't tell me the portal will fix it. It can help yes. But we will be behind the 8 ball in a big way.

vCash
    Leach leaving sometime soon?

vCash
    I'd be shocked if he is our coach in 2025
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    No, it's not just LT. We've got some issues.

Has there ever been a year when we haven't had issues on the OL?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I'd be shocked if he is our coach in 2025
    While I view him as just a hired hand...culturally he is a good fit here ... 1. He's not looking for a better job 2. He likes small towns 3. He has won with less in every situation he has been in. 4. Of his 18 conference games, the team has had a chance to win in all but 4 of them ...
    that is something MSU a fans have NEVER had... a chance to come back in a game even against ranked teams even on the road.

At the end of the day, most of us just want to see competitive football... he has surpassed Mullen in my book ..that being said, it does trouble me that some in the Athletic Department aren't sold on him.....to those who aren't sold on him ... what does he not provide that you think a head coach should ? And then my next question would be ...who would be willing to come to Starkville MS in the current NIL environment ?

Fact is we have the best coach for our situation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezsoil View Post
    While I view him as just a hired hand...culturally he is a good fit here ... 1. He's not looking for a better job 2. He likes small towns 3. He has won with less in every situation he has been in. 4. Of his 18 conference games, the team has had a chance to win in all but 4 of them ...
    that is something MSU a fans have NEVER had... a chance to come back in a game even against ranked teams even on the road.

At the end of the day, most of us just want to see competitive football... he has surpassed Mullen in my book ..that being said, it does trouble me that some in the Athletic Department aren't sold on him.....to those who aren't sold on him ... what does he not provide that you think a head coach should ? And then my next question would be ...who would be willing to come to Starkville MS in the current NIL environment ?

Rep, good post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Rep, good post.
    Ehhh except the better than Mullen part. That is a ridiculous statement at this point. Like absolutely ludicrous thing to say

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    Ehhh except the better than Mullen part. That is a ridiculous statement at this point. Like absolutely ludicrous thing to say
    So you're a Mullen fan?

vCash
    [QUOTE=DEDawg;1441283]Ehhh except the better than Mullen part. That is a ridiculous statement at this point. Like absolutely ludicrous thing to say[/

Well Mullen did change the culture and did some wonderful things ... he got people to show up, he encouraged wearing Maroon, he won the games he was supposed to and ....early on....beat Ole Miss.... he mastered the formula to get bowl eligible. But he rarely beat a team that finished the season in the top 25.... in fact, Leach matched Mullen's nine year total (3) last year alone. From that standpoint and the fact that Leach wants to here and fits here ...I'd say that Leach is better than Mullen..

vCash
    Mike Leach is back in the SEC. That's what he's wanted for a while. He will retire after this job. And he'll be here longer than 2025.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Mike Leach is back in the SEC. That's what he's wanted for a while. He will retire after this job. And he'll be here longer than 2025.
    Conditioned upon him not losing to U of Mississippi 6 straight years.

vCash
    We just have to stay healthy?I am getting concerned

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    We just have to stay healthy?I am getting concerned
    Anyone else besides Crumedy / Forbes?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    So you're a Mullen fan?
    Uh I guess. The same I?m a fan of any MSU coach. What an odd response

vCash
    [QUOTE=Ezsoil;1441285]
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    Ehhh except the better than Mullen part. That is a ridiculous statement at this point. Like absolutely ludicrous thing to say[/

Well Mullen did change the culture and did some wonderful things ... he got people to show up, he encouraged wearing Maroon, he won the games he was supposed to and ....early on....beat Ole Miss.... he mastered the formula to get bowl eligible. But he rarely beat a team that finished the season in the top 25.... in fact, Leach matched Mullen's nine year total (3) last year alone. From that standpoint and the fact that Leach wants to here and fits here ...I'd say that Leach is better than Mullen..
    I mean who am I to say you are wrong but comparing a coach who completely turned our program around from perennial bottom dweller to number 1 in the country to a coach who hasn?t beat ole miss yet? thats wild to me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezsoil View Post

In the current college football environment EVERY coach should be viewed as a hired hand and EVERY player should be viewed as a hired hand. I will say that Leach is way more loyal than most and there is a good chance he finishes his career here. He had long stops at both his other HC gigs and might still be at TX Tech today without the farce that forced him out. And I agree that we have about the best coach we could have given the NIL situation. A lot of players are very interested in playing for Leach who everyone knows as a coaching legend at this point. Can u imagine us trying to attract players in this environment with a Joe Judge as our HC? We owe a lot to the NY Giants for saving our asses.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 08-20-2022 at 03:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Anyone else besides Crumedy / Forbes?
    Marks/ankle is the only one I'm hearing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Marks/ankle is the only one I'm hearing
    Cant lose him for long

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Cant lose him for long
    What's the word? Sprain?