Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about college softball.

vCash

Questions about college softball.

1. What is the purpose of the chanting and excessive chatter and screaming from each teams dugout.

2. Why does each batter walk 20 to 30 feet out of the batters box between each pitch.

vCash
    And are they really being discriminated against like all the articles are claiming

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    And are they really being discriminated against like all the articles are claiming
    You talking about the World Series? If so then yes. Heck it took them years to just get a bathroom instead running up into the stands and using the facilities with the fans. And the NCAA?s answer for a bathroom the first year was a freaking port-a-potty in the dugout. Most of the JUCO?s in MS have had actual dugout bathrooms for years. That?s pretty ridiculous. And they still don?t have showers at the stadium. They should expand the tournament days as well. They have to play it in 7 days with DH thrown in, men get 12 days but softball has a lot fewer pitchers. Bunch of other things. They don?t get a full sit down meal for about 50 players, coaches, staff, etc per school. The players and coaches only get an appetizer table. Keep in mind ESPN paid $500 MIL to NCAA for this event along with baseball, women?s basketball, and several other sports while getting almost the same in viewership compared to men?s World Series.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 06-10-2021 at 05:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    1. What is the purpose of the chanting and excessive chatter and screaming from each teams dugout.

2. Why does each batter walk 20 to 30 feet out of the batters box between each pitch.
    It’s girls, they like to cheer...gets on my nerves sometimes but after over a decade of games in person you get use to it. They are different than boys, that’s what they do. There are some chants that should be outlawed because it freaking gets stuck in your head for days though

vCash

I appreciate girls being girls. What's not to like?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    I appreciate girls being girls. What's not to like?

Never said I didn't like them, said can someone explain why they do the two things I asked about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    You talking about the World Series? If so then yes. Heck it took them years to just get a bathroom instead running up into the stands and using the facilities with the fans. And the NCAA?s answer for a bathroom the first year was a freaking port-a-potty in the dugout. Most of the JUCO?s in MS have had actual dugout bathrooms for years. That?s pretty ridiculous. And they still don?t have showers at the stadium. They should expand the tournament days as well. They have to play it in 7 days with DH thrown in, men get 12 days but softball has a lot fewer pitchers. Bunch of other things. They don?t get a full sit down meal for about 50 players, coaches, staff, etc per school. The players and coaches only get an appetizer table. Keep in mind ESPN paid $500 MIL to NCAA for this event along with baseball, women?s basketball, and several other sports while getting almost the same in viewership compared to men?s World Series.
    The schedule is based solely on the fact that the pitchers don’t need to rest between starts like baseball does. Same reason the state softball playoffs have 2-3 rounds in a week when baseball has 1.

The upgrades are coming to the WCWS as interest picks up. In recent yrs it has become way more popular than it was 20 yrs ago, while Omaha has been packing the stadium for as long as I can remember.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    The schedule is based solely on the fact that the pitchers don’t need to rest between starts like baseball does. Same reason the state softball playoffs have 2-3 rounds in a week when baseball has 1.

The upgrades are coming to the WCWS as interest picks up. In recent yrs it has become way more popular than it was 20 yrs ago, while Omaha has been packing the stadium for as long as I can remember.
    Well that is a huge debate. If you are meaning because they throw underhand that it causes no issues, that is 100% incorrect. If you mean it’s just what is done, I agree it’s what coaches do, but this time of year they do need the rest between starts and you are seeing it more. But that would require coaches to self correct pitcher usage as well. They usually take a day off between starts over weekend conference series but get to Regional play and beyond and the ace is pitching all these back to back games and they are not able to maintain. You are seeing it some where the schools are using more pitchers than before but overall play of the World Series is what I’m talking about. Stretching it out a little and eliminating the DH games would give you players (not just pitchers) being closer to their best.

They may come but it has taken coaches years of complaining to basic things and a port-a-potty in 2012 (first year they got a dugout bathroom) was ridiculous. They tried to also get the expansion bigger than what was done a few years ago. They were right that they could sellout 18,000 then, much less now. But that is also on the stadium and not completely the NCAA. Just make the World Series and better event overall for the players and when compared to the men’s it has been pretty out of line. Not that they have the same as the men but give them something more comparable. I mean when you have travel events and directors doing a better job in aspects of a large national events than the NCAA, then that is not really acceptable. Not when the viewership is almost identical to baseball World Series.

vCash
    Joke sport

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Well that is a huge debate. If you are meaning because they throw underhand that it causes no issues, that is 100% incorrect. If you mean it’s just what is done, I agree it’s what coaches do, but this time of year they do need the rest between starts and you are seeing it more. But that would require coaches to self correct pitcher usage as well. They usually take a day off between starts over weekend conference series but get to Regional play and beyond and the ace is pitching all these back to back games and they are not able to maintain. You are seeing it some where the schools are using more pitchers than before but overall play of the World Series is what I’m talking about. Stretching it out a little and eliminating the DH games would give you players (not just pitchers) being closer to their best.

They may come but it has taken coaches years of complaining to basic things and a port-a-potty in 2012 (first year they got a dugout bathroom) was ridiculous. They tried to also get the expansion bigger than what was done a few years ago. They were right that they could sellout 18,000 then, much less now. But that is also on the stadium and not completely the NCAA. Just make the World Series and better event overall for the players and when compared to the men’s it has been pretty out of line. Not that they have the same as the men but give them something more comparable. I mean when you have travel events and directors doing a better job in aspects of a large national events than the NCAA, then that is not really acceptable. Not when the viewership is almost identical to baseball World Series.

A fast pitch pitcher throwing 100 pitches on consecutive days does not cause the same issues as a baseball pitcher doing the same. There is no comparison here. In fact the pitchers I’ve dealt with wear out in the legs much faster than the arm.

Softball is a fun sport and I enjoy it. But people tryin to make it out as equivalent to baseball are 100% incorrect. (This is in response to the pitching/ overall athleticism aspect. I don’t disagree with your second paragraph.)

vCash
    A fast pitch pitcher throwing 100 pitches on consecutive days does not cause the same issues as a baseball pitcher doing the same. There is no comparison here. In fact the pitchers I’ve dealt with wear out in the legs much faster than the arm.

Softball is a fun sport and I enjoy it. But people tryin to make it out as equivalent to baseball are 100% incorrect. (This is in response to the pitching/ overall athleticism aspect. I don’t disagree with your second paragraph.)
    In travel or normal college schedule, you can get back to back days from pitchers at 100-130 pitches. But they also get several days of rest in between. Travel girls, heck my girl has pitched 300-350 over a Sat - Sun tournament spread out in time events. Full 7 inning games you have to watch it closer. But she is then shut down for 48-72 hours. But the college girls usually throw Fri and Sun and maybe a midweek start, but they are getting a 1 or 2 days at least between starts. Depending on the team, some get to regional and SR play and it’s mainly just one pitcher. If they stay with that philosophy and make it to CWS, you see many girls fade because of all the back to back pitching fatigues them. Heck, that’s what happens to Kaitlyn Lee at UM when Mike pitched her every game from the SEC tournament onward and her arm just died at the WS. The pitcher from Kentucky about 5 years ago I think against Oregon, her arm just died in the middle of 2 batters. Went from 65 to 55 mph in a matter of 10-12 pitches and she was done. And wasn’t as good her senior year either.

I’ve worked with pitchers as well and my daughter is a signed pitcher, I agree that a lot of times it’s the legs that go. But we both know when that happens the mechanics get sloppy and they try to pitch with more arm. That’s when injuries happen as well. Add in the intensity of the moment and high leverage stress, you are just not getting the best all of the time. Just spread it out to 9-10 days instead of 7 and eliminate DH. For the catchers as well. The overall play and pitching would benefit the players and the fans watching.

vCash

The chanting part is taught in little league softball. Personally, you'd think they grow out of that but whatever. I don't know what college dugouts do but I have no patience with insulting and unsportsmanlike cheers that I've heard from little league dugouts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    The chanting part is taught in little league softball. Personally, you'd think they grow out of that but whatever. I don't know what college dugouts do but I have no patience with insulting and unsportsmanlike cheers that I've heard from little league dugouts.
    Well the coaches and umpires should be putting a stop to that type taunting. There is not an organization out there that doesn’t address that type of unsportsmanlike conduct. But teams with that type of attitude have coaches and parents who act that way usually.

Guys, again trust me, they are different and that’s ok, and you absolutely want them cheering and dancing and staying positive. The alternative is way way way worse. You are dealing with young women...a team full of them. If any of you want to get a better understanding of why you will beg them to cheer and do all of that, go coach a 12-15 year old team. The alternatives are frustrating at best and down right nasty at worst. You don’t want them getting sullen and moody and then the drama comes pouring in on you. You do not want that. At all. Ever.

I will say not all girls are like that. My daughter is not a huge cheer type, when she’s pitching she doesn’t at all. She’s usually at the opposite end of the dugout in her head, visualizing or talking with her catcher. But her best friend is very verbally positive. Not as hardcore on cheers but joins in usually but very positive verbally and talkative in a dugout. Their college team still does it but it’s not as much as we have had on her travel teams.

vCash
    A fast pitch pitcher throwing 100 pitches on consecutive days does not cause the same issues as a baseball pitcher doing the same. There is no comparison here. In fact the pitchers I?ve dealt with wear out in the legs much faster than the arm.

Softball is a fun sport and I enjoy it. But people tryin to make it out as equivalent to baseball are 100% incorrect. (This is in response to the pitching/ overall athleticism aspect. I don?t disagree with your second paragraph.)
    If you believe that, you haven't been around the game much. It's why teams no longer just use one pitcher. It's why JMU ran out of gas (they tried to). Medicine has proven the wear and tear is basically the same.
    As for the cheering...well, most choose when to do it based on the game. The bench players do more. Some go further than I like. OK players have to fill out sheets in the dugout about what they see at the plate. I've always told them to watch the pitcher and watch positioning etc. too before, after, during whatever they're doing. Lots to learn by paying attention and communicating.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 06-11-2021 at 12:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post
    Joke sport
    You're Joke poster, so it's all a wash.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    If you believe that, you haven't been around the game much. It's why teams no longer just use one pitcher. It's why JMU ran out of gas (they tried to). Medicine has proven the wear and tear is basically the same.
    As for the cheering...well, most choose when to do it based on the game. The bench players do more. Some go further than I like. OK players have to fill out sheets in the dugout about what they see at the plate. I've always told them to watch the pitcher and watch positioning etc. too before, after, during whatever they're doing. Lots to learn by paying attention and communicating.
    This is my point…it’s NOT the same. I don’t disagree that it is physically taxing for softball pitchers. They have to be in decent shape, they have to be athletic, etc. But a softball pitcher can pitch a lot more with less wear and tear. While a baseball pitcher, most of the time, physically cannot do it. And it is all because of the motion and mechanics.

I’m not taking away from softball. I enjoy it. But acting like it is the same as baseball is disingenuous at best. If it was the same there wouldn’t be people saying they prefer softball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post
    Joke sport
    rex54, do you ever have anything good to add. You post read like a POS cock sucking rebel just over here to stir up shit. Or at least that is the meaning I get from reading your post.

vCash
    rex54, do you ever have anything good to add. You post read like a POS cock sucking rebel just over here to stir up shit. Or at least that is the meaning I get from reading your post.
    I like to shit on softball. Sue me. The design on the sport is subpar from an entertainment and gameplay perspective.

vCash
    Rex, I think you dislike more than softball ?

vCash
    High end travel rotates pitchers. Generally no pitcher throws more than 2 or 3 innings per game unless they're in a big tournament like the PGF at the end of summer. Some rotate and skip games. I've seen many a torn up shoulders. More so than baseball. Baseball sees more elbow issues than softball. HS coaches and daddies that insist on their kid being the "star" tear up arms more than travel.