Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: First spring pratice article.........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    That is because no one ever said that. We did say that throwing it 50+ times a game is not conducive to winning at an elite level and funny enough we have evidence to back it up.
    So, you think three years of Mike's offense at Mississippi State is enough evidence to show that throwing it 50+ times a game isn't conducive to winning at an elite level, but you ignore all the mid tier talent level teams that have tried to run pro style against the big boys for years upon years in college football and actually believe that gives Mississippi State a better chance of winning at an elite level?
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    So, you think three years of Mike's offense at Mississippi State is enough evidence to show that throwing it 50+ times a game isn't conducive to winning at an elite level, but you ignore all the mid tier talent level teams that have tried to run pro style against the big boys for years upon years in college football and actually believe that gives Mississippi State a better chance of winning at an elite level?
    You both need more work to do in your professional careers..

vCash
    So tell me, what did WKU do when Tyson Helton was trying to run a pro style spread offense? What happened when he switched to the Air Raid?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    You both need more work to do in your professional careers..
    Apparently you do as well.

vCash
    The apology thread to me will come later on when you guys realize just how bad this system Barbay runs is going to be. I'll be following WKU for sure, because Drew is a rising star in the Air Raid, and I have no doubts that his offense at WKU will be better than Barbay's at Mississippi State.
    There won't ever be an apology thread because you keep saying everyone that doesn't want to throw it 99%+ of the time is a 'pound the GD ball meathead'. There's no nuance to any of your linear thinking. Analytics have their place, but they can't be the sole guide of a team. Defenses have adjusted and AR has adjusted to that (Lincoln Riley). You also keep throwing out the same inaccurate and asinine statement that Barbay runs a 'run first, pro style offense'. When the man himself has said numerous times that his objective is to find the best playmakers and get them the ball whether it's running 70 times or passing 70 times. You also refuse to acknowledge that both ZA and KB have said numerous times the AR concepts aren't going away.

That's not even diving into the fact that you think Kelce and Goedert shouldn't be on a football field and it's a waste of a player. TEs can catch and block making it easier to hide intentions or switch from a run to a pass if the defense runs a drop 8 or lines up 8 on the LOS.

You are the textbook definition of a midwit. You have enough information and smarts to know that you do in fact know something but not enough to realize how much you don't actually know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCoachKlein View Post
    There won't ever be an apology thread because you keep saying everyone that doesn't want to throw it 99%+ of the time is a 'pound the GD ball meathead'. There's no nuance to any of your linear thinking. Analytics have their place, but they can't be the sole guide of a team. Defenses have adjusted and AR has adjusted to that (Lincoln Riley). You also keep throwing out the same inaccurate and asinine statement that Barbay runs a 'run first, pro style offense'. When the man himself has said numerous times that his objective is to find the best playmakers and get them the ball whether it's running 70 times or passing 70 times. You also refuse to acknowledge that both ZA and KB have said numerous times the AR concepts aren't going away.

That's not even diving into the fact that you think Kelce and Goedert shouldn't be on a football field and it's a waste of a player. TEs can catch and block making it easier to hide intentions or switch from a run to a pass if the defense runs a drop 8 or lines up 8 on the LOS.

You are the textbook definition of a midwit. You have enough information and smarts to know that you do in fact know something but not enough to realize how much you don't actually know.
    So, when has Barbay ever run an offense that is based around the passing game?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Apparently you do as well.
    Interest is up and the stock market is down

vCash
    Honestly, they're kind of tough to find. They typically blow up teams running the ball so well that there's no point in passing. When the run doesn't work Barbay seems to switch to passing more. Wow the ability to adjust. Do you know the 1 year he ran CMU's offense he passed it 4 more times per game and ran it 4 less than the guy before and after him? He didn't even have time to setup the personnel to his liking. Those stats are also heavily skewed by FCS teams that he ran all over without resistance.

Also, you have to remember that App St had 2 great returning RBs a plethora of TE/H-backs and lost 2-3 really good WRs from the year before. Like Barbay has said, he alters his scheme to best fit the talent he has.

App St 2022:
    Troy: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...ian-state.html
    TX ST: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...xas-state.html

CMU 2021:
    Mizzou: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-missouri.html
    LSU: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...ana-state.html
    FIU: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-michigan.html
    Miami OH: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-miami-oh.html
    N IL: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-michigan.html

vCash
    Interest is up and the stock market is down
    You do only get mugged if you go downtown (cities) lol

vCash
    Since you love analytics so much, can you explain how a guy who hates throwing was rated top in passing efficiency analytics?

According to Matrix Analytical, Barbay ranks No. 1 among active FBS offensive coordinators in career average pass game efficiency. He was one of just two Group of Five play callers in 2022 to produce an Explosive Pass Rate Percentage above 19 percent with a top 35 scoring efficiency offense.

Among FBS offensive coordinators since 2009, Barbay ranks per Matrix Analytical:

Inside the Top 15 percent in Passing Touchdowns Per Attempt
    Inside the Top 20 percent in Fewest Interceptions Per Attempt
    Inside the Top 25 percent in both QB Rating and QB Efficiency
    Inside the Top 30 percent in Yards Per Attempt

Over the last two seasons, Barbay's offenses combined to averaged 448.01 yards per game and rank in the top 20 nationally. His offenses have consistently scored over 30 points per game, achieving that feat 56 percent of the time with a 33.61 points per game average.

This past season, Barbay's prolific offense ranked inside the top 25 nationally in scoring offense (No. 23 – 34.9), passer rating (No. 19 – 155.80), yards per pass attempt (No. 18 – 8.4), yards per play (No. 22 – 6.56), rushing offense (No. 21 – 204.42) and yards per rush (No. 21 – 5.18).

vCash
    You do only get mugged if you go downtown (cities) lol
    I can confirm this true in downtown where I live-which is why I refuse to go out down there.

vCash
    I can confirm this true in downtown where I live-which is why I refuse to go out down there.
    My town of 6,000 is feeling too much like a city for me. Think the Mrs. will have me here for the long haul though.

vCash
    Since you love analytics so much, can you explain how a guy who hates throwing was rated top in passing efficiency analytics?

According to Matrix Analytical, Barbay ranks No. 1 among active FBS offensive coordinators in career average pass game efficiency. He was one of just two Group of Five play callers in 2022 to produce an Explosive Pass Rate Percentage above 19 percent with a top 35 scoring efficiency offense.

Among FBS offensive coordinators since 2009, Barbay ranks per Matrix Analytical:

Inside the Top 15 percent in Passing Touchdowns Per Attempt
    Inside the Top 20 percent in Fewest Interceptions Per Attempt
    Inside the Top 25 percent in both QB Rating and QB Efficiency
    Inside the Top 30 percent in Yards Per Attempt

Over the last two seasons, Barbay's offenses combined to averaged 448.01 yards per game and rank in the top 20 nationally. His offenses have consistently scored over 30 points per game, achieving that feat 56 percent of the time with a 33.61 points per game average.

This past season, Barbay's prolific offense ranked inside the top 25 nationally in scoring offense (No. 23 – 34.9), passer rating (No. 19 – 155.80), yards per pass attempt (No. 18 – 8.4), yards per play (No. 22 – 6.56), rushing offense (No. 21 – 204.42) and yards per rush (No. 21 – 5.18).
    Against Sun Belt and MAC competition, where his teams could out talent the rest of the conference. What did this scheme do when Jim McElwain ran it at Florida?

vCash
    Against Sun Belt and MAC competition, where his teams could out talent the rest of the conference. What did this scheme do when Jim McElwain ran it at Florida?
    With the Sun Belt and MAC talent level offensive players he had...

We'll never know about FL since he didn't coach there. He was director of player development. (I'm sure you knew that, but you were trying to spread disinfo to people that don't.)

vCash
    With the Sun Belt and MAC talent level offensive players he had...

We'll never know about FL since he didn't coach there. He was director of player development. (I'm sure you knew that, but you were trying to spread disinfo to people that don't.)
    I'm just reinforcing the fact that Barbay runs McElwain's system, which is the system that was run at Florida.

vCash
    I'm just reinforcing the fact that Barbay runs McElwain's system, which is the system that was run at Florida.
    So, you're reinforcing your projections onto a scenario where they don't fit?

That and the beating the dead horse are the issue that 99% of the board has with you. Todd would like to see a system closer to what you want, but if you'll notice he hasn't been berated or degraded like you have because he doesn't 1 make false statements like the one you just made and 2 doesn't keep saying the same false statement over and over.

Personally, I would prefer a pass first offense, but this guy hits all of the almighty analytical metrics and is willing to change his scheme to fit his players. Most coaches don't meet those 2 criteria. We aren't getting CML back. Give the guy a chance.
    Last edited by MrCoachKlein; 03-09-2023 at 05:32 PM.

vCash
    So, you're reinforcing your projections onto a scenario where they don't fit?

That and the beating the dead horse are the issue that 99% of the board has with you. Todd would like to see a system closer to what you want, but if you'll notice he hasn't been berated or degraded like you have because he doesn't 1 make false statements like the one you just made and 2 doesn't keep saying the same false statement over and over.

Personally, I would prefer a pass first offense, but this guy hits all of the almighty analytical metrics and is willing to change his scheme to fit his players. Most coaches don't meet those 2 criteria. We aren't getting CML back. Give the guy a chance.
    Well, I'm certainly not going to act like a guy who has coached with Jim for the majority of his coaching career is going to just say "Nah, not running that scheme." Particularly when it looks exactly like every offense McElwain has run from a formation standpoint, emphasis standpoint, and a play calling standpoint.

But we want to avoid saying it's McElwain's system, because McElwain's system is not good. So, we have to act like this is different so we can feel good about ourselves.

vCash
    whew, I'll stick with KB21 is a true cuck.

vCash
    Well, I'm certainly not going to act like a guy who has coached with Jim for the majority of his coaching career is going to just say "Nah, not running that scheme." Particularly when it looks exactly like every offense McElwain has run from a formation standpoint, emphasis standpoint, and a play calling standpoint.

But we want to avoid saying it's McElwain's system, because McElwain's system is not good. So, we have to act like this is different so we can feel good about ourselves.
    Well you can act however you want, but reality won't go along with your false world view. He is going to run a different offense. If you cared about educating yourself you could go listen to the podcast (T&L I think) where he lists the inspirations for his offense. JM was a small part of it.

You're saying he's exactly the same as another coach when there is no proof at all. By this logic Kyle Shanahan's offense is just Kubiaks. In reality, Shanahan learned some things from Kubiak and incorporated it into his offense and now probably has the best offensive scheme in football. Or Joey Freshwater is just running Norm Chow's offense. There's no end to this nonsense, non logical line of thinking.

vCash
    The players and Rosebowl are always hyped up before the next season starts. Regardless of the coach.

Up front I'll say I don't care what offense we run as long as we get 1st downs and score points. And I also love CZA and think he'll be good as HC. Having said that, CZA doesn't have to rebuild a culture, deal with Covid, he's having a spring practice in his 1st year as head coach, he won't have to play a 10 game all-SEC schedule his 1st year while playing a bunch of true FR, and he won't be missing large percentages of players during games next year or the following year. Leach wasn't cut any slack at all by many on here for all of the adversity he faced in rebuilding the program.

So last year with a bunch of true juniors and some seniors, all with a lot of experience, C34 stated anything less than 10-2 was a unacceptable, even though we played Georgia and Bama at Bama. A lot on here felt the same way. That's understandable with our long and storied tradition of 10 win seasons.

Leach went 8-4 just like Mullen did in 2017 with a similar team. Many on here were pretty unhappy with that and remained convinced Leach's offense would never work in the SEC. Even after Pain has pointed out that Leach's 2021 offense exceeded all of Mullen's offenses except 2014. The 2022 offense was minus a stud 1st round OT and a couple of key WRs from the year before.

This year there is no Georgia, we play Bama at home, and if I'm not mistaken we return all our key players with exception of Sharp and Forbes. So ... Holding CZA and Barbay to same standards as many held Leach to, we should be 11-1 and go to playoff. Probably should win SECW, but could possibly lose to an undefeated or 1 loss Bama maybe. But we do have Bama at home and at very least it should be a very close game if we lose. Anything less than 10-2 is a big flop. I personally ain't interested in excuses about no tight end till summer, installation of an offense, or anything along those lines. Barbay is inheriting about as experienced a team as can be inherited, and has stated he can adapt to any set of personnel. He's inheriting a 4th year starter at QB. From an experience standpoint, this team has more experience than the 2018 team. I'm looking forward to our 1st CFP appearance. I'm pumped.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 03-09-2023 at 08:52 PM.