Page 102 of 274 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Almost 5000 dead in the US in the past 48 hours if anyone's still keeping up.

vCash
    Everyone is looking at what China is doing. It's the antibody testing and an app for your phone. Basically let's wherever you go know if you're clear or not. They're also checking temps. Disney in China is checking everyone.
    Bill Gates wants us all chipped though. He's the devil.*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Everyone is looking at what China is doing. It's the antibody testing and an app for your phone. Basically let's wherever you go know if you're clear or not. They're also checking temps. Disney in China is checking everyone.
    https://youtu.be/DgxZr6LLS34

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    There's not a singular thing that will solve the problem, not when it's the entire system being the problem. And my point with UBI is not to be only for the unemployed. You implement it for everyone. Basic across the board. This eliminates the need for a "minimum wage" as we will have established in our society the minimum standard of living needed. This would allow the stoppage of the 40 hour work week and increase productivity levels in workers as now you don't necessarily need to work all week to hold a job. Maybe you work 10 hrs a week at some restaurant job. Keeps happiness levels up. Small businesses don't have to pay a minimum wage so labor costs could go down. There's a lot of moving parts to it. But to think that people would be content being lazy and doing nothing all day (as UBI would only afford you the minimum) would cause people not to work... do you not see how crazy people are going currently?

There's obviously a lot of moving parts and not a magic cure-all. There can't be when we can't regulate other countries economies against our own so we can't force a business to not go to overseas manufacturing easily. (for instance) But there are some good starting points to fixing society and making a better tomorrow for everyone. You can't tell me we don't have the money when we constantly spend trillions to bail out big businesses under republicans who have the most lenient taxes.
    The more you post ... the more I understand how you came up with 11 wins for us last year *

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    Almost 5000 dead in the US in the past 48 hours if anyone's still keeping up.
    About 1/3 of those are probable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    About 1/3 of those are probable.
    Nope. All confirmed. 8000 if you include probable

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Temps really don't matter..... I had a temp for two days..... some people haven't even gotten a fever with this thing.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't know jack about the stats the blogger's bandying about. But I do know this:

John Hinderaker, the blogger, is a career trial attorney who's run a political blog for 15 years or so. His analysis of the stats is that we did not and do not need to "flatten the curve."

On the other hand, Vanderbilt's Division of Infectious Diseases, the Tennessee Chapter of the American College of Physicians, the Tennessee Medical Association, the State of Tennessee's Medical Examiner, and hundreds of physicians across the State of Tennessee signed a petition begging our governor to issue a mandatory "shelter in place" order when he repeatedly refused to do so. They did this because their analysis led them to conclude that not doing so could be disastrous.

Until I gain the expertise necessary to conduct a meaningful analysis of our state's public health system and virology, I'm going to err on the side of listening to the analysis of the overwhelming majority of physicians in my state.

ETA: That wasn't meant to disparage independent analysis or you in particular, 7. It occurred to me after posted that it may have come off like that or as condescending. Sorry, dude. I didn't mean it like that. The unification of health officials and doctors from all practices and backgrounds from across Tennessee (and likely the country) is telling to me. And, full disclosure for context, if you're interested: My father's a recently retired physician boarded in internal medicine and occupational and environmental medicine. He's as die-hard a pro-business, anti-socialized medicine conservative as I've ever met in my life, and he always has been. He's not only firmly on board with all the other doctors in Tennessee, but he could preach a day-long sermon about the national public health system's response to the pandemic, which he views as one of the biggest failures of the federal government in his lifetime. Hearing him talk about this and reading the stuff that he sends me has no doubt colored how I'm viewing things, for better or worse.
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 04-15-2020 at 06:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    I don't know jack about the stats the blogger's bandying about. But I do know this:

John Hinderaker, the blogger, is a career trial attorney who's run a political blog for 15 years or so. His analysis of the stats is that we did not and do not need to "flatten the curve."

On the other hand, Vanderbilt's Division of Infectious Diseases, the Tennessee Chapter of the American College of Physicians, the Tennessee Medical Association, the State of Tennessee's Medical Examiner, and hundreds of physicians across the State of Tennessee signed a petition begging our governor to issue a mandatory "shelter in place" order when he repeatedly refused to do so. They did this because their analysis led them to conclude that not doing so could be disastrous.

Until I gain the expertise necessary to conduct a meaningful analysis of our state's public health system and virology, I'm going to err on the side of listening to the analysis of the overwhelming majority of physicians in my state.

ETA: That wasn't meant to disparage independent analysis or you in particular, 7. It occurred to me after posted that it may have come off like that or as condescending. Sorry, dude. I didn't mean it like that. The unification of health officials and doctors from all practices and backgrounds from across Tennessee (and likely the country) is telling to me. And, full disclosure for context, if you're interested: My father's a recently retired physician boarded in internal medicine and occupational and environmental medicine. He's as die-hard a pro-business, anti-socialized medicine conservative as I've ever met in my life, and he always has been. He's not only firmly on board with all the other doctors in Tennessee, but he could preach a day-long sermon about the national public health system's response to the pandemic, which he views as one of the biggest failures of the federal government in his lifetime. Hearing him talk about this and reading the stuff that he sends me has no doubt colored how I'm viewing things, for better or worse.
    I have no idea of the author's credentials for writing this. Perhaps he has none.

As far as when the country will open again... doctors have an educated idea on the medical side, but probably limited on the economic side. Vice versa for business guys. I would hope our leaders are considering both sides of this though, and strike a balance between the 2. I guess what I'm saying is doctors shouldn't be the only consultants on this matter.

The author of the blog may not be worth listening to on either side.

vCash
    I have no idea of the author's credentials for writing this. Perhaps he has none.

As far as when the country will open again... doctors have an educated idea on the medical side, but probably limited on the economic side. Vice versa for business guys. I would hope our leaders are considering both sides of this though, and strike a balance between the 2. I guess what I'm saying is doctors shouldn't be the only consultants on this matter.

Well, there is this letter signed by 32 prominent economists from both parties: https://economicstrategygroup.org/re...ement-covid19/

But it's almost 3 weeks old, which seems like a lifetime these days. I wonder what their thoughts are now.

vCash
    Well, there is this letter signed by 32 prominent economists from both parties: https://economicstrategygroup.org/re...ement-covid19/

But it's almost 3 weeks old, which seems like a lifetime these days. I wonder what their thoughts are now.
    Weren't the experts predicting like a million Americans to die around that time?

vCash
    Weren't the experts predicting like a million Americans to die around that time?
    That's a misconception. The Imperial College model predicted 100k deaths if we practice social distancing and 1-2 million if we do nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    There's not a singular thing that will solve the problem, not when it's the entire system being the problem. And my point with UBI is not to be only for the unemployed. You implement it for everyone. Basic across the board. This eliminates the need for a "minimum wage" as we will have established in our society the minimum standard of living needed. This would allow the stoppage of the 40 hour work week and increase productivity levels in workers as now you don't necessarily need to work all week to hold a job. Maybe you work 10 hrs a week at some restaurant job. Keeps happiness levels up. Small businesses don't have to pay a minimum wage so labor costs could go down. There's a lot of moving parts to it. But to think that people would be content being lazy and doing nothing all day (as UBI would only afford you the minimum) would cause people not to work... do you not see how crazy people are going currently?

There's obviously a lot of moving parts and not a magic cure-all. There can't be when we can't regulate other countries economies against our own so we can't force a business to not go to overseas manufacturing easily. (for instance) But there are some good starting points to fixing society and making a better tomorrow for everyone. You can't tell me we don't have the money when we constantly spend trillions to bail out big businesses under republicans who have the most lenient taxes.
    The statement in bold is one example of where your entire argument goes out the window. As an advocate of UBI, you somehow think that people working less hours for less income is going to somehow magically make products appear on the shelves at the same prices as they are today?

I'm going to chalk it up to you simply trolling the board at this point.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash

Most definitely, 7. That's why I was interested in the MIT article I posted earlier that discussed prominent economists' opinions and the economic study of the 1918 pandemic and why I think Taiwan's success is so promising. (And why it's so disappointing that we're so far behind in the US by comparison, but that's a different issue.)

Just an hour or so ago, our county's health department announced that testing on demand for anyone regardless of symptoms or doctor's orders is starting Thursday. Granted, the announcement in the paper also said that private testing companies say we've got a long way to go to build an infrastructure that we need for that. But regardless, it's a step in the right direction.

vCash
    That's a misconception. The Imperial College model predicted 100k deaths if we practice social distancing and 1-2 million if we do nothing.
    I don't think most on this board understand the photo you posted earlier, so I'm replying with it here again in hopes they re-read to understand why the initial projections can't be used as an argument against the measures that have been taken.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    The more you post ... the more I understand how you came up with 11 wins for us last year *
    No shit. Lala land.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    The statement in bold is one example of where your entire argument goes out the window. As an advocate of UBI, you somehow think that people working less hours for less income is going to somehow magically make products appear on the shelves at the same prices as they are today?

I'm going to chalk it up to you simply trolling the board at this point.
    Or even products just appear on shelves ... much less at the same prices.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    I don't think most on this board understand the photo you posted earlier, so I'm replying with it here again in hopes they re-read to understand why the initial projections can't be used as an argument against the measures that have been taken.
    Just noticed this graph. So we now saying these measures will eliminate new cases? Am I wrong in that these measures are just to delay mass cases at once? What experts are saying that these measures will eliminate the virus?

vCash
    Fauci and Birxs said 100-200,000 if we do things perfectly. Millions if we do nothing. That's where it came from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    No shit. Lala land.
    Yep!