Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Prayers for Brandon Football and Family

vCash
    Since we are reliving the glory days of 2 a days how of us went partying ala "Varsity Blues" and lived to regret it. Esp after your coach found out and decided to make an example of you and your CoHorts. Now I went to a catholic all boys school on the coast which did have an partying rep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Since we are reliving the glory days of 2 a days how of us went partying ala "Varsity Blues" and lived to regret it. Esp after your coach found out and decided to make an example of you and your CoHorts. Now I went to a catholic all boys school on the coast which did have an partying rep.
    The worst I saw was 2 players discussed rolling the yard of the band director. The football coach heard about it and told them not to do it. A few days later, they did it anyway. I've never witnessed anything like what he put them through the next week in practice. It was probably criminal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    The worst I saw was 2 players discussed rolling the yard of the band director. The football coach heard about it and told them not to do it. A few days later, they did it anyway. I've never witnessed anything like what he put them through the next week in practice. It was probably criminal.
    Well in Biloxi there were a number of bars owned by Alumni and they treated us players really well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    hahaha- you serious Clark? A very small percentage of kids would get an 8-5 job even if someone would hire them.
    Still lots of business owners that would love to hire somebody that will regularly show up for work for $12 an hour, even if it's just for the summer. And something like 30% of teenages still work. Even if 8-5 is not the norm, I would assume a lot of those jobs cross over some time between 8am and 11am. Looking back, I will say most jobs my friends worked were probably either early in and early out or late in and still out by 6, but late would have been more like 10am, not 1pm.

Nor would their parents make them altho some do work part-time. Our biggest problem is the kids staying up till 4-5am playing XBox online against their friends and then being too sleepy to come to workout.

That doesnt even include the kids playing 7 on 7 in the summer, traveling around the city, state, and other states....summer basketball for about 50 games 3-4 days a week, and your baseball players playing 60 games a summer.

Kids need to be kids. They have the rest of their life to be a worker bee to pay the government tax coffers so Pelosi can fly to the Far East to start a war on a whim
    Working part time in high school seems more like kids being kids than playing travel sports year round. It was fun working and then going out and having a little money to spend. I enjoyed playing sports but would not have wanted to spend every weekend driving and playing baseball in a different place but not really getting to enjoy it. And again, working is probably going to help them develop more than having a set time to do workouts or collecting a few dozen plastic "championship" rings. For the really affluent families, sure, do whatever. But if you aren't financially independent, why not have your kids work 15-20 hours a week and have their own spending money? When I was in high school, I would not have felt good about not working at all in the summer knowing that my parents were somewhat stressed about money. Surely a lot of these high school players are in the same position.

Not exactly related to the question about football, but I see families spending the equivalent of college tuition on travel ball and private lessons when they probably don't even have paid for cars. I think if I were their kids I'd probably rather have college paid for than spend 15 different weekends in the comfort inn on whatever interstate exchange is closest to the ball fields that particular weekend.
    Last edited by Johnson85; 08-04-2022 at 04:14 PM.

vCash
    I think whether a kid should work a summer job or not is a conversation that needs to take place between the kid and the parent. Personally, I would prefer my kid to work part time when they turn start high school and pick one sport to focus on. Some of these kids don?t maximize their potential in a sport because they are trying to juggle too much. Participating in 1 sport and working 16-20 hours a week gives a kid a sense of structure and appreciation for money. Obviously, their school work needs to come first though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Damn. I think we did weights that you could finish in about an hour if you were diligent, maybe a little longer, and then probably 30 minutes of conditioning outside. But our coaches had to account for summer jobs. They already had to take turns closing up at 7:00.
    Yeah. This coach doesn?t give a damn about summer jobs. There are a lot of company owners around here that will work with the football players with that in mind over the summer though.

vCash
    It?s a different world now thanks to technology.

We have an app in which the entire team is a part of for communication purposes about practice, school, or anything football related. I woke up the other morning to 77 messages that started at 3:48am about ?who up? and ?u ain?t nevah beat me in 2K?(NBA 2K on PS). 9 different players arguing as they play online at 4am.

We have 35 or so players- maybe 5-6 have jobs this summer. I promise you that total is not low because of summer workouts.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Still lots of business owners that would love to hire somebody that will regularly show up for work for $12 an hour, even if it's just for the summer. And something like 30% of teenages still work. Even if 8-5 is not the norm, I would assume a lot of those jobs cross over some time between 8am and 11am. Looking back, I will say most jobs my friends worked were probably either early in and early out or late in and still out by 6, but late would have been more like 10am, not 1pm.

Working part time in high school seems more like kids being kids than playing travel sports year round. It was fun working and then going out and having a little money to spend. I enjoyed playing sports but would not have wanted to spend every weekend driving and playing baseball in a different place but not really getting to enjoy it. And again, working is probably going to help them develop more than having a set time to do workouts or collecting a few dozen plastic "championship" rings. For the really affluent families, sure, do whatever. But if you aren't financially independent, why not have your kids work 15-20 hours a week and have their own spending money? When I was in high school, I would not have felt good about not working at all in the summer knowing that my parents were somewhat stressed about money. Surely a lot of these high school players are in the same position.

Not exactly related to the question about football, but I see families spending the equivalent of college tuition on travel ball and private lessons when they probably don't even have paid for cars. I think if I were their kids I'd probably rather have college paid for than spend 15 different weekends in the comfort inn on whatever interstate exchange is closest to the ball fields that particular weekend.
    I just was raised differently. My “summer job” was playing baseball. We played about 60 games in the summer of legion ball. And that’s in the mid-80’s. I was not allowed to work until the summer after I graduated HS. It paid off as my 1st 2 years of college were free thanks to my ACT score and a baseball scholly.

vCash
    Hardest I ever got hit was by a farm boy from George county. I asked him what type of weight training did they do. He said loading bales of hay into a barn
    Yeah they ain't nothing like it accept maybe hauling pulpwood. Done both.

vCash
    No

I just was raised differently. My “summer job” was playing baseball. We played about 60 games in the summer of legion ball. And that’s in the mid-80’s. I was not allowed to work until the summer after I graduated HS. It paid off as my 1st 2 years of college were free thanks to my ACT score and a baseball scholly.
    You lucky dog. I did the same thing playing league and legion ball all summer but I was expected to work on the farm too.

vCash
    my 1st 2 years of college were free thanks to my ACT score

>********************<

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    You lucky dog. I did the same thing playing league and legion ball all summer but I was expected to work on the farm too.
    Foosball back in CC24 day: sorry but I can't copy images

https://ia600200.us.archive.org/Book...ale=2&rotate=0

Taken from the 1929 Reflector.

vCash
    Welllllllllllll, I did have to mow the yard with a pushmower. We were poor.

vCash
    Foosball back in CC24 day: sorry but I can't copy images

https://ia600200.us.archive.org/Book...ale=2&rotate=0

Taken from the 1929 Reflector.
    Not quite that old lol!

vCash
    This. However, once football two-a-days officially started my dad let me out of the hayfield. I think I was the only happy guy during two-a-days. Anything to get out of the hell on earth that was the hayfield in a Mississippi summer circa 1986-89.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    This. However, once football two-a-days officially started my dad let me out of the hayfield. I think I was the only happy guy during two-a-days. Anything to get out of the hell on earth that was the hayfield in a Mississippi summer circa 1986-89.
    HA! Amen to that brother, right there with you, accept i was a few year before you!

vCash
    It?s a different world now thanks to technology.

We have an app in which the entire team is a part of for communication purposes about practice, school, or anything football related. I woke up the other morning to 77 messages that started at 3:48am about ?who up? and ?u ain?t nevah beat me in 2K?(NBA 2K on PS). 9 different players arguing as they play online at 4am.

We have 35 or so players- maybe 5-6 have jobs this summer. I promise you that total is not low because of summer workouts.
    It's probably not but there are probably a few where it makes a difference, or at least gives them an excuse to tell their parents why they can't work. And most areas in Mississippi are not chock full of high school students from families that are so affluent that the kids shouldn't be working in the summer.

vCash
    I guess I was made different than many of you guys. I played all sports, there was no way I could have played just one sport back in my day, I guess I was more athletic than most on ED***

Btw, I had summer jobs also, usually say 8-1:00. Also, I think basketball is easier to play all year around, mostly because you are inside.

vCash
    Welllllllllllll, I did have to mow the yard with a pushmower. We were poor.
    My Dad said that he would buy me a pushmower & pay for gas, oil, and any mower repairs in late '60's when I was a pre-teen. I was to keep journal of income/expenses. I booked my yards $2.50 for small yard, $5.00 for large ( very hard to get). I was very rough on the mower. At end of summer, Dad asked to see journal and upon viewing, said he would match my income to not mow next summer! Summer I was 16, "bundle boy" in local garment factory, $1.60/hr minimum wage. 1st check over $60 and thought I was rich!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 08-05-2022 at 03:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    My Dad said that he would buy me a pushmower & pay for gas, oil, and any mower repairs in late '60's when I was a pre-teen. I was to keep journal of income/expenses. I booked my yards $2.50 for small yard, $5.00 for large ( very hard to get). I was very rough on the mower. At end of summer, Dad asked to see journal and upon viewing, said he would match my income to not mow next summer! Summer I was 16, "bundle boy" in local garment factory, $1.60/hr minimum wage. 1st check over $60 and thought I was rich!
    Good for you and of course your dad! I think minimum was $1.25 for me, I could either fill up my VW or buy a 6-Pack of cold beer!