Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prayers for Brandon Football and Family

vCash

Prayers for Brandon Football and Family

Saw sad news about the Brandon football player. Prayers to family, friends, teammates and classmates

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Saw sad news about the Brandon football player. Prayers to family, friends, teammates and classmates
    Well what happened?

vCash
    A player passed away at practice today.

vCash
    Dam.

vCash
    Damn. Heat related? Or something random?

Doing football practice in August really is a damn roll of the dice. Even with coaches being responsible, you are going to have kids with latent health issues that you just don't know about. I also wonder whether it's more dangerous now because kids are spending less time working in the heat leading up to practice. In the summer leading up to two a days, we'd have agility drills outside, and then a lot of the players would go work outside, so even if it was hot as hell in August, most people were as acclimated as you were going to get.

And we were lucky in that we were a few years past it being somewhat accepted for a punishment for the team not being sharp in a drill to be cancelling a water break, which is really crazy to think about now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post

Doing football practice in August really is a damn roll of the dice. Even with coaches being responsible, you are going to have kids with latent health issues that you just don't know about. I also wonder whether it's more dangerous now because kids are spending less time working in the heat leading up to practice. In the summer leading up to two a days, we'd have agility drills outside, and then a lot of the players would go work outside, so even if it was hot as hell in August, most people were as acclimated as you were going to get.

And we were lucky in that we were a few years past it being somewhat accepted for a punishment for the team not being sharp in a drill to be cancelling a water break, which is really crazy to think about now.
    Back in the 70s we either worked all summer doing swamp reclamation or working on Shrimp boats for the point boys. Even though we were in shape the 2 a days were a beoutch. And one water break that was a hose attached to a spigot, for the entire team/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Back in the 70s we either worked all summer doing swamp reclamation or working on Shrimp boats for the point boys. Even though we were in shape the 2 a days were a beoutch. And one water break that was a hose attached to a spigot, for the entire team/
    Yeah. It seems like we have this discussion on here almost every summer. This is a serious problem for high school kids. They stay locked away in air conditioning all summer playing Xbox and watching videos on their phones. Then they are expected to get out in 100 degree southern heat and humidity and practice football for hours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post

From what I read the corner didn't give a cause of death immediately and they are doing an autopsy.

vCash
    Horrible, just horrible. Just seems like we hear of this more and more but maybe that's just me. I don't recall things like this happening back when I played but that was in the 80's and we had two-a-days back then.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Yeah. It seems like we have this discussion on here almost every summer. This is a serious problem for high school kids. They stay locked away in air conditioning all summer playing Xbox and watching videos on their phones. Then they are expected to get out in 100 degree southern heat and humidity and practice football for hours.
    Problem is that these kids do workout. Heck they workout more than we ever did, in the weightroom. They will spend hours doing squats bench presses and deadlifts. But get them on a blocking sled and they won't last 5 seconds. They need to be out in the sun sweating and now with school going year round this will never happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Horrible, just horrible. Just seems like we hear of this more and more but maybe that's just me. I don't recall things like this happening back when I played but that was in the 80's and we had two-a-days back then.
    I'm a 80's kid. I worked out side on family farm all summer so when football came it was not big deal.

vCash
    Wonder if this is another case of a vaccinated youngster dropping dead
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I don't know but kids were dropping dead every year before the virus.

vCash
    I don't remember kids dropping dead in the 60s and 70s, when I grew up. They may have and we just never heard about it since that was the days before 1000 TV channels and the Internet. If it is the case that kids did not drop dead in times past, then what has changed? Is it too much indoor time as a kid, contaminated environment or other?

Thoughts?

vCash
    From the kid's picture on Facebook, he was a big boy. Very sad situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Yes this is a major problem. It can take up to two weeks for your body to adjust to high heat conditions. There should be a ramp up before full two a day fall camp is rolled out.

One problem is leadership. Many coaches get in their grill right off the bat yelling no pain no gain when a serious problem may be happening. I have had a life long issue with my shoulder from playing thru the injury with the no pain no gain in my ear. No kid will give in with that kind of pressure.

It is a fine line for sure where there is a time when you have to push your team/players but you also have to know your players. If a 110 percenter is falling back he is likely hurt not just not giving effort. Coaches and players should know their kids too.

vCash
    Not sure if this was heat related or not.

But regardless, I've been saying for a few years that HS and college football and baseball should be pushed back a month each. At least 2-3 weeks.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    my thoughts as well and it probably is. Myocarditis is a problem for some kids who necessarily got the vaccine. I know one kid in national guard who had to leave because he refused to getting the vaccine due to 2 of his friends dying after getting it. Both under the age of 25.
    No Signature

vCash
    I think the high yesterday wasn't even 90 degrees.

They are going to say it was heat related. I don't buy it.

The shots killed my aunt. Too many people who are otherwise healthy are losing their lives soon after the shots.

At this point it should not be taboo to question the safety of the shots. I think it depends on blood type/DNA structure as far as who suffers from adverse effects. Studies should be ongoing, at least I hope so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Yes this is a major problem. It can take up to two weeks for your body to adjust to high heat conditions. There should be a ramp up before full two a day fall camp is rolled out.

One problem is leadership. Many coaches get in their grill right off the bat yelling no pain no gain when a serious problem may be happening. I have had a life long issue with my shoulder from playing thru the injury with the no pain no gain in my ear. No kid will give in with that kind of pressure.

It is a fine line for sure where there is a time when you have to push your team/players but you also have to know your players. If a 110 percenter is falling back he is likely hurt not just not giving effort. Coaches and players should know their kids too.
    When I was in high school, the rules actually discouraged the coaches from easing into the heat. Because you couldn't have organized practice until a certain date, but then you were allowed to have two a days. So you couldn't start earlier and ease them into it. Easing it into it just means losing practice time.

As I said, that was somewhat mitigated by having to do agility drills (ropes, ladders, cone drills, etc.) after lifting weights, although I think the coaches were at least breaking the spirit of the rules on that, because while they weren't officially coaching us, somebody was in the weightroom for safety purposes and somebody was always in eye shot of the agility drills so they could tell if people were loafing or just not doing all their reps/sets.

Now, I'm sure there are conflicted between needing some of the heaviest kids to do the most work to get into game shape while also being the ones most susceptible to heat related health issues.