Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our WRs are Getting To Work...

vCash
    You have no idea what you are talking about.
    You hear those bells mother-fudder....an Air-RAID is coming and that is yo ass!

vCash
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 01-30-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawglb View Post
    Yeah, I hope there are some missed sarchastericks here. This is a hand/eye drill. It helps your eyes pick up a smaller moving target. And yes baseball players do practice hitting smaller balls, like practice golf balls. It also helps the eyes pick up a smaller moving target.
    We used to hit practice golf balls (similar to a wiffle ball) with a broom handle. If you can use a broom to hit a golf ball then a baseball bat is huge when hitting a baseball. It makes you focus on hitting more on the sweet spot of the bat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    I get the theory behind it, but in a game catching a football is what matters so only practice catching footballs. I don't see our baseball team practice catching or throwing anything else other than baseballs. Our basketball team doesn't have soccer balls out on the court. Practice with what you play with.
    We use tennis balls all the time in AAU basketball skills practice. Develops a lot of hand eye coordination. Steph Curry uses tennis balls alot in his dribble drills (ex: dribbling with left hand while catching tennis balls thrown to you with your right and vice versa).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    They should do that with their shoulder pads and helmet on.
    Just saying, that equipment is going to be there when the football is coming.
    They can't wear pads as a part of off season conditioning.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    They should use golf ball. Catch that coming at them they will catch a football.
    That might kill 'em Jack, if it comes at 60 mph like they said.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    I do defensive drills with tennis balls. Boy, its frustrating as hell for baseball players
    Yep. When i was a kid I spent hours a day bouncing a tennis ball off a wall and fielding it with my glove. Great hand/eye coordination drill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    We used to hit practice golf balls (similar to a wiffle ball) with a broom handle. If you can use a broom to hit a golf ball then a baseball bat is huge when hitting a baseball. It makes you focus on hitting more on the sweet spot of the bat.
    Some of my family is from Savannah and they grew up playing Half-Rubber, so I learned that when I would go visit. You basically use a broom handle to hit a baseball sized piece of rubber that has been cut in half, so one side is flat. That flat half-ball was incredible training for hitting curves
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    Or wrenches. If you can catch a wrench you can catch a football.
    Highly underrated movie.

vCash
    I get the theory behind it, but in a game catching a football is what matters so only practice catching footballs. I don't see our baseball team practice catching or throwing anything else other than baseballs. Our basketball team doesn't have soccer balls out on the court. Practice with what you play with.
    In an interview Coach Leach talked about using this method for years to improve his players catching abilities. I will take his word and his history of producing prolific passing offences over yours.

vCash
    I can't believe we got a 31+ post thread on video of a player catching tennis balls.

Amazing how our emphasis has changed since we all concluded that last year's off season program was shat
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Jerry Rice preferred bricks!
    Last edited by dawggoneit; 01-30-2020 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Correcting auto correct

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawggoneit View Post
    Kerry Rice preferred bricks!
    We can throw bricks at our guys too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I can't believe we got a 31+ post thread on video of a player catching tennis balls.

Amazing how our emphasis has changed since we all concluded that last year's off season program was shat
    I sorta SMH at folks questioning Leach's training techniques on this. His offenses lead the nation in passing every year and his 2 and 3* receivers catch the ball. And they make exceptional catches quite often while doing that.

vCash
    Julio Jones did a video on this kinda thing...

https://youtu.be/DqNfzDPrg0I
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    I think so too. The theory is the tennis balls will bounce quickly off the hand if the hands aren't soft and/or the timing of closing the hands at precisely the right moment isn't good.
    Not really that the hands need to be soft, but that the fingers need to be strong. Fingers catch balls, not palms.

That?s why these are a thing:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMHBJ7W..._PL4mEb3MDWBR0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    There are a million drills to improve hand eye coordination which will in fact improve catching a football. There are numerous really good drills for football, basketball, and baseball that improve a skill that have zero to do with actual game play.
    I used to toss my mom?s dinner glasses in the air in the kitchen. I learned how to focus really quick. Made quite a difference, not just in football, but in other sports as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by codeDawg View Post
    Not really that the hands need to be soft, but that the fingers need to be strong. Fingers catch balls, not palms.

That?s why these are a thing:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMHBJ7W..._PL4mEb3MDWBR0
    You right. Posted that before I actually thought thru how I actually do catch a ball. Then went and tried it to be sure. It's always been instinctive to me and no one ever "taught" me that I can remember. I've always had pretty good hands, or whatever .. fingers I guess.

In any event tho I think Leach probably is pretty good at training his WRs.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Hope this is a joke. Doing drills like this are the very thing that will help our players and apparently the reason we have had bad WR play and more drops than anyone else in division one.

Baseball teams do drills like this all the time. We used to hit soft toss with small olastic golf balls with a thunderstick. Made a baseball with a baseball bat look like a beach ball.