Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I must be one of the only ones

vCash

I must be one of the only ones

That just isn't the slightest bit concerned. We could and probably will go on a run and be fine. I am 100% not worried.

We will probably win today and tomorrow and be exactly where I thought we'd be after the weekend. It's hard to travel across country and beat good teams. Just is.

We have several young guys that will progress, and several Seniors that have to develop into leaders. And I think both will happen and we'll have a good year.
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 03-08-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    I'm with you. I have SOME concerns, but none that major. It was an adjustment for me, as a lazy fan, to watch the 8 pm game. Imagine how weird it was for the players to fly cross country, different climate, and play a double header at what would seem like 5 pm and 10 pm for them.

Anyway, pitching isn't as dominant as it SHOULD be, and hitting isn't as good as it should theoretically be. Plenty of room for improvement.

vCash
    I wouldn't have concerns if we put the power that we have in the lineup. Vickerson should never be the DH and Detz shouldn't play third. Heck with the way Detz is struggling you put Humphreys/Garner out there and you put two power bats out there. You play Vickerson instead of Brown.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat Holder View Post
    I'm with you. I have SOME concerns, but none that major. It was an adjustment for me, as a lazy fan, to watch the 8 pm game. Imagine how weird it was for the players to fly cross country, different climate, and play a double header at what would seem like 5 pm and 10 pm for them.

Anyway, pitching isn't as dominant as it SHOULD be, and hitting isn't as good as it should theoretically be. Plenty of room for improvement.
    Completely agree, Goat.

vCash
    The biggest concern to me is the pitching this weekend. I mean, WTF?

I really wish he would try Humphreys at third and Garner at DH in the same lineup even though it means benching Detz. I thought Detz was snapping out of it, but I guess he just hits South Alabama well.

vCash

You are correct. I wish we just played Arizona three rather than four games. That or played Santa Barbara midweek before or after the Arizona series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

I really wish he would try Humphreys at third and Garner at DH in the same lineup even though it means benching Detz. I thought Detz was snapping out of it, but I guess he just hits South Alabama well.
    A 1-10 weekend at the plate on most teams gets you benched. He is just terrible right now. Cohen is letting the seniors slump their way into the losing streak. Sometimes it's better to make the change bench Detz a few games and see what a Humphreys/Garner lineup would potentially look like. I am glad at least Rea did some things today. Detz has to be benched tomorrow though otherwise what's the point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Do you think it might have to do with the fact they don't feel like they get any run support so they feel like they have to pitch the game of their life out there? I mean a Bradford **** up on a fly ball he should have had and a Detz olay single at third. If they make those plays, the pitching looks a lot better. Of course, those balls don't go down as errors but they cost the pitchers 5 runs and confidence. Our fielding has got to get better.

vCash
    I disagree I see serious missing pieces on this team and not a team that can get it going for a run in SEC play

vCash

You're gonna be crucified for saying that.

nt

Banned
    vCash
    I am def worried. I'm worried because we have yet to field a lineup that gives us the best potential to win. Put Detz on the bench. If you can't hit OOC you ain't gonna get a shot in conference! if Wes Rea keeps striking out he better put him on the bench for a couple of games. There is a sense of entitlement with some of these kids it seems and as long as they are playing like crap and don't have to worry about losing their position then they don't feel the heat to compete. Put CT, Detz, and Rea on the bench for the next 3-4 games and put Garner at 1st, Humphries at 3rd, and Derrick in CF.

Banned
    vCash
    Better yet, make them shave the terrible beards and cut their terrible long hair. That crap was cool for 3 weeks last June. It's not anymore.

vCash
    I really was not before this weekend. I am now officially worried. And considerably worried. Something is just not right and its not any one particular area of the game. We've had pitching issues at times, problems in the field at other times and issues at the plate. I'm stumped but something is definitely amiss.

vCash
    Well this weekend has certainly got me worried. For the first time this year we are playing SEC-like competition and we've given up 27 runs in 3 games. That kind of crap didn't happen last year even with our non-existent starting pitching. Pitching and defense was suppose to be our bedrock this year. We don't have that right now and that bothers me even more than the fact our offense isn't as good as we would like it to be. I'll be very surprised if we get it turned around enough to be a regional host.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 03-09-2014 at 07:53 AM.

vCash
    I think reality is setting in that our expectations were a little lofty and unrealistic after last year. Making up for what Renfroe and Frazier did was going to be difficult. Pitching hasn't been as good and it was going to be very very difficult to continue dominating like we did last year. We aren't a national seed for sure and we may not be a 1 seed team. But I'm ok with that because we've proven in the past that doesn't matter.

I actually think this baseball season is going to look a lot like our football season. We've got some underclassmen who are just as talented as some of our upperclassmen, but they don't have the experience. Cohen will have to find the right blend of them both. We will take our lumps but we will still be a talented team that can make a run at anybody at any point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I think reality is setting in that our expectations were a little lofty and unrealistic after last year. Making up for what Renfroe and Frazier did was going to be difficult. Pitching hasn't been as good and it was going to be very very difficult to continue dominating like we did last year. We aren't a national seed for sure and we may not be a 1 seed team. But I'm ok with that because we've proven in the past that doesn't matter.

I actually think this baseball season is going to look a lot like our football season. We've got some underclassmen who are just as talented as some of our upperclassmen, but they don't have the experience. Cohen will have to find the right blend of them both. We will take our lumps but we will still be a talented team that can make a run at anybody at any point.
    Hell of a post. I completely agree

vCash
    I think we have a nice team. Do I think we will be back in the National Championship game, No. We lost too much. I'm not going to bitch and Moan.Sit back support the team and lots see how JC keeps us in the hunt .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post

Agree Met. And to add I WOULD like to see someone with a little fire in their ass like Mitch Slauter had. These boys seem a bit tentative and unsure of themselves. They currently appear a little Polk IIish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Original48 View Post
    Agree Met. And to add I WOULD like to see someone with a little fire in their ass like Mitch Slauter had. These boys seem a bit tentative and unsure of themselves. They currently appear a little Polk IIish.
    Yea, I just think Detz, Rea, and Pirtle are pretty quiet guys, and the problem is that we can't afford for them to be that way. Eventually someone is going to have to get on someone's ass and be a leader. I ink that will happen, but it just hasn't yet. Sometimes it's hard for a certain Senior group to take the torch so to speak, from the group before them. Slauter, Graveman, Pollo, etc....we're good leaders, and people seem to forget that. We'll be fine
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 03-09-2014 at 11:55 AM.

vCash
    Better yet, make them shave the terrible beards and cut their terrible long hair. That crap was cool for 3 weeks last June. It's not anymore.
    I'm sure that's why we're losing.