Thread: TEs

vCash

TEs

Spivey and Jones have been working at Y a lot and have been damn good doing it. They could both be dangerous and a matchup problem for just about anyone if they could put it together. When the air raid was first being used (BYU, Houston and Leach and Mumme's early days) they were still in pro personnel which meant a lot of TE sets. I can promise you this, Leach will know how to use them and that could be big trouble for defenses. Spivey caught a TD today during their 7 on 7 drills on 4 verts. Yes its Feb and yes its not with pads but Spivey at the slot and being put in motion to kick out corners or motioning him from the slot or wide to a TE in the redzone would be nasty. If those 2 can learn to play in the slot it puts us with a much better athlete out there instead of some of the WRs

vCash
    I was wondering if Spivey would stick there or if we'd look at him at DE - glad to hear he's doing well

vCash
    I've heard Leach speak twice and he has been open about his love for te and flexing them out for matchup purposes and to block the edge on outside zone. Not sure where this "no TE on the roster anymore" narrative got started, bc it was not from leach.

vCash
    Nice!

vCash
    I think Dontae Jones is going to have a good year for us in this system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I've heard Leach speak twice and he has been open about his love for te and flexing them out for matchup purposes and to block the edge on outside zone. Not sure where this "no TE on the roster anymore" narrative got started, bc it was not from leach.
    I am guessing he just prioritizes pass catching and speed for his TEs and maybe it was easier to recruit slots than to find TEs that were fast enough at WSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think Dontae Jones is going to have a good year for us in this system.
    I think so too - he's a very willing blocker and the big TE's are great on pick plays

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I am guessing he just prioritizes pass catching and speed for his TEs and maybe it was easier to recruit slots than to find TEs that were fast enough at WSU.
    WSU is not the easiest place to recruit to in general. When Leach took over the team they had like 7 total OL on scholarship. If Leach can pull an OJ Howard type player..... he's not going to change his position. Leach is smart enough to know a TE creates mismatches in coverage. In other words, you don't just play a TE because you have to...... you field the best players that will score and win games.

vCash
    Raise your hand if your sick of hearing about our TEs as "matchup problems" only to see them do nothing in the regular season......

#illbelieveitwheniseeit
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Not sure where this "no TE on the roster anymore" narrative got started, bc it was not from leach.
    What Leach has actually said at times that morphed into that misconception is something to the effect of he only recruits TE's who are strong receivers, and those types usually weren't available to WSU. He loves TE's that fit his offense but he's not going to take ones who don't just for the sake of filling the position group.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Raise your hand if your sick of hearing about our TEs as "matchup problems" only to see them do nothing in the regular season......

#illbelieveitwheniseeit
    I feel the same. At the end of the day I'm just not convinced our TEs are too fast for a LB to cover, which means there is no matchup problem. Spivey certainly has that potential though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Spivey certainly has that potential though
    If he can catch it
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Bucky, any word on where some of the other receivers are lining up so far?

Spurrier Jr on Matt's show said Dontae Jones is starting on the outside with him (I assume Z?) and Spivey on the inside at Y (as you mentioned). I assume Heath at X, Mitchell at Z, Payton at H and Williams at Y but that's all just a guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

#illbelieveitwheniseeit
    Perfectly understand that feeling and I feel the same way. But Leach is the best passing coach we have ever had, if he cant use a TE/Flex no one can. Hes not going to use a H back or run RPOs so yall can hang that one up till he leaves here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Bucky, any word on where some of the other receivers are lining up so far?

Spurrier Jr on Matt's show said Dontae Jones is starting on the outside with him (I assume Z?) and Spivey on the inside at Y (as you mentioned). I assume Heath at X, Mitchell at Z, Payton at H and Williams at Y but that's all just a guess.
    I think Rufus Harvey is a starter by the end of the year in the slot but the rest I agree with. Tulu has a chance but he has never been on a passing offense. Him and Walley need more reps at it