Thread: 3-3-5 defense blast from the past

vCash

3-3-5 defense blast from the past

Joe Lee Dunn's masterpiece. Shutout Ole Miss where he was the head coach just two years prior and his defense accounted for two TD's and a safety which was basically all the scoring in this game. I was there that day and it was my first Egg Bowl in Oxford. The field was a mud pit. And yes, this was the game where Brad Lott yelled some not so nice things at our players.

vCash
    What is missing from this video is the 9 sacks that we had that day. Greg Favors looked like Lawrence Taylor in maroon and white wearing number 56 and living in the Ole Miss backfield all day.

Games like this are what excites me about us running the 3-3-5 defense.

vCash
    Todd, I like the idea of the 3,3,5 vs today's pass happy offenses. how do you think it'll set up vs a team that RTGDF?

Or will y'all just walk up a hybrid OLB (Jack) and a Safety/OLB type for an (effectively) 4,3,4 look?
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Todd, I like the idea of the 3,3,5 vs today's pass happy offenses. how do you think it'll set up vs a team that RTGDF?

Or will y'all just walk up a hybrid OLB (Jack) and a Safety/OLB type for an (effectively) 4,3,4 look?
    I believe the latter. I can't remember the exact number, but his defense last year had at least 1 linebacker blitzing on the majority of snaps.

vCash
    It was "us against the world" back then. Would love for us to return to those days.

vCash
    Rained cats and dogs that day. I stood on the top row, about row 40 I think, east side. I was soaked to the bone after that game.

But i remember Sluder and Greg Favors having a big day. Paul Lacoste...... fun game. Tuberville wasn't happy. Hahahaha.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    I believe the latter. I can't remember the exact number, but his defense last year had at least 1 linebacker blitzing on the majority of snaps.
    I'm thinking that particular LB will need to be one of the fastest and smartest on the field. Roaming around pre-snap looking for the best and most vulnerable place to attack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydawg1 View Post
    It was "us against the world" back then. Would love for us to return to those days.
    and those uniforms as well
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash

I'm not 100% sure but my guess is we'll just walk up somebody. Maybe use Aaron Brule a little more.

vCash
    I was there too, and here?s a little trivia from game as well. That was the day Brad Lott cussed Dotson and called him the ?n? word in front of God and everyone. At halftime there was a FG kicking contest with a cash giveaway, and Denny Howell, MSU grad, had been selected to participate. He kicked a 40 yard FG barefoot in that slop!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    I was there too, and here?s a little trivia from game as well. That was the day Brad Lott cussed Dotson and called him the ?n? word in front of God and everyone. At halftime there was a FG kicking contest with a cash giveaway, and Denny Howell, MSU grad, had been selected to participate. He kicked a 40 yard FG barefoot in that slop!
    Brad Lott..
    a true Rebel and confederate legend.. OM at their finest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    What is missing from this video is the 9 sacks that we had that day. Greg Favors looked like Lawrence Taylor in maroon and white wearing number 56 and living in the Ole Miss backfield all day.

Games like this are what excites me about us running the 3-3-5 defense.
    Greg Favors was nasty off the edge. We get the dudes like we had back then, the 3-3-5 can be dominant in any era. The Dog safety/LB is the player that swings the whole D. Ashley Cooper. It is a special player to play Dog safety.

vCash

Not sure what we'll do now but back then it was the Dog safety/LB. This is a special talent that can defend about anything. Great athletes, smart, fast. We've had some that fit the mold since those days playing a standard D. Matt Wells is one that fits the build, Nickoe Whitley another.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Joe Lee Dunn's masterpiece. Shutout Ole Miss where he was the head coach just two years prior and his defense accounted for two TD's and a safety which was basically all the scoring in this game. I was there that day and it was my first Egg Bowl in Oxford. The field was a mud pit. And yes, this was the game where Brad Lott yelled some not so nice things at our players.

That drainage system at the Vaught was something else...

vCash

The answer would be to play 2 4is a 0 nose and walk down 2 heavy 5s plus sit that middle safety flat footed and let him sink in the box like Saban does his safeties

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    That drainage system at the Vaught was something else...
    not only are we experts at predicting rain, but what do do with it once it happens. OM? not so much.