Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta be record for Msu

vCash

Gotta be record for Msu

Baseball with 8 straight losses. I can?t recall a losing streak this long ever. I graduated in 1973 and have always loved and followed MSU Baseball. It?s the biggest letdown lay down disappointing season for me. No excuses for how bad this season has gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Baseball with 8 straight losses. I can?t recall a losing streak this long ever. I graduated in 1973 and have always loved and followed MSU Baseball. It?s the biggest letdown lay down disappointing season for me. No excuses for how bad this season has gone.
    It's crazy. And I know I'm in denial, but I still don't think we are that bad. We have some serious hitters 1-7 and Forsythe has been hitting in the 9 hole. We are 4th nationally in defense. It's the bull pen. I know we have had some injuires, but so does every pitching staff. Lemonis and his staff really dropped the ball not adding a couple of arms from the portal. Got content or got too optimistic about some guys making a jump.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    If we ever have I do not remember it. And I do not want to be reminded of it. One instance of it in my head is already enough to have to deal with.

vCash
    Well the good news about being this bad... it's kinda hard to get worse

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Well the good news about being this bad... it's kinda hard to get worse
    WOLF !!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    2010:

Lost 3 in a row Bama
    Then lost 3 straight to Mississippi
    Lost Jackson State
    Lost to USM
    Swept by Auburn to lose 11 in a row
    beat NW St
    Swept by Vandy to lose our 12th SEC game in a row
    Beat the Nasty Bunch
    Then lost the first 2 to LSU for 14 straight SEC losses

People forget the hole Polk left us in
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    It's crazy. And I know I'm in denial, but I still don't think we are that bad. We have some serious hitters 1-7 and Forsythe has been hitting in the 9 hole. We are 4th nationally in defense. It's the bull pen. I know we have had some injuires, but so does every pitching staff. Lemonis and his staff really dropped the ball not adding a couple of arms from the portal. Got content or got too optimistic about some guys making a jump.
    Backups haven’t stepped up from the pen. You can never have enough arms, it’s so bad not having ANY relievers, not even one!

One thing for sure, losing is contagious, no character building and confidence is gone. I think many players play so much baseball at young ages and year around that they peak or burnout. It’s gotten worse the last say decade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    2010:

Lost 3 in a row Bama
    Lost Jackson State
    Lost to USM
    beat NW St
    Beat the Nasty Bunch

I haven’t forgotten how bad Polk ll teams were, but thanks for the info. This team is much worse as we had 6 starters back from a Natty. Lots of parity in college baseball now days.

vCash
    2010:

Lost 3 in a row Bama
    Lost Jackson State
    Lost to USM
    beat NW St
    Beat the Nasty Bunch

I haven't....and never will.....but he left us in the early 90's with that NCAA crap

vCash
    2010:

Lost 3 in a row Bama
    Lost Jackson State
    Lost to USM
    beat NW St
    Beat the Nasty Bunch

Anybody got a neuralyzer I can borrow now

vCash
    2010:

Lost 3 in a row Bama
    Lost Jackson State
    Lost to USM
    beat NW St
    Beat the Nasty Bunch

That year was absolutely brutal. That loss to Jackson State was worse than the Maine loss to me.

vCash
    Today wasn't so bad ... I played golf and missed the game... and putted better than msu pitching
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgoneyall View Post
    I haven't....and never will.....but he left us in the early 90's with that NCAA crap
    Polk 1.0 ended after the '97 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I don't know any team that has lost their ace, their closer and two other fairly key relievers. Even Stinnett could have eaten an inning or two here and there. With roster limits we can't just recruit unlimited arms. Actually what's happening to us now is why I think there should be a reserve group that you can call up in case of injury to put on the roster.

2010:

Lost 3 in a row Bama
    Lost Jackson State
    Lost to USM
    beat NW St
    Beat the Nasty Bunch

Thanks for reminding me.** That was the worst I've ever seen MSU baseball. At least this group is competitive somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    That year was absolutely brutal. That loss to Jackson State was worse than the Maine loss to me.
    I went to that Jackson State game. That was probably the most furious I have ever been after a MSU baseball loss. That's probably the biggest win in JSU history and they dogpiled after the game. I can't hate on them for that- they deserved it. If I remember right their pitchers couldn't really throw strikes and we just kept swinging at anything in the area code often missing because it wasn't even close to the strike zone. Kendall Graveman pitched pretty well. The JSU fans were impressed with how hard he threw. LOL.

I'm pretty sure I called for Cohen to be fired after that game on sixpack and I don't even really regret it. And I have typically defended Cohen as a coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheIttaBenaHotSun View Post
    Polk 1.0 ended after the '97 season.
    Officially.

He tried to leave I think around 1991 or 1992 or so and LT and legend has it Everett Kennard begged him to stay. He did end up staying. And we kind of went into a small decline for 1993-1994. Then he hired Pat McMahon to be the pitching coach/coach in waiting essentially from Old Dominion where he was the head coach. And we brought in the top recruiting class in the country and ended up going to Omaha for Polk I's last year in 1997. And McMahon's first year in 1998.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Officially.

He tried to leave I think around 1991 or 1992 or so and LT and legend has it Everett Kennard begged him to stay. He did end up staying. And we kind of went into a small decline for 1993-1994. Then he hired Pat McMahon to be the pitching coach/coach in waiting essentially from Old Dominion where he was the head coach. And we brought in the top recruiting class in the country and ended up going to Omaha for Polk I's last year in 1997. And McMahon's first year in 1998.
    The thing about RP announcing his retirement in the early 90's and LT and a few others talked him out of it was a huge Mistake! He was burnt out dealing and battling a losing cause against the Ncaa although everyone in general agreed with him. Baseball wasn't a factor back then to most schools.

Also, word I got when Pat McMahon was HC, he got tired of RP around the the team and clubhouse all the time, kept metaling with his team. Then of course the RP II era was the biggest mistake in Msu baseball, his ego was so huge he wouldn't leave Starkville to recruit, then when he was fired he tried to destroy Msu baseball. But as time has past all things are forgiven and Msu baseball moved on only to have lots of in house troubles. Hopefully we get everything back on track and be Miss State baseball again when we all can enjoy what we have built over many decades.

vCash
    It’s definitely a bad year this year but I honestly think this will be an outlier. I fully expect us to be back next year. By back, I mean firmly in the hosting seat although maybe not a national seed.

This was just a funky year that happens every once in a blue moon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    It’s definitely a bad year this year but I honestly think this will be an outlier. I fully expect us to be back next year. By back, I mean firmly in the hosting seat although maybe not a national seed.

It's hard to see that as of today. I guess we will see what the roster looks like in a few months.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post

Ham, I like your optimism, but it all starts with pitching.

For the life of me, I just don't see the quantity or quality of arms needed that allows us to push back to elite status where we are in competition for a top-8 seed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    Ham, I like your optimism, but it all starts with pitching.

For the life of me, I just don't see the quantity or quality of arms needed that allows us to push back to elite status where we are in competition for a top-8 seed.
    We need at least 3 elite portal arms. I don't know if that's realisitic.