Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reason number 387 why we will never be Top 5 in football again

vCash

Reason number 387 why we will never be Top 5 in football again

Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Bracky will suspend three players half a season each just to be safe.

vCash
    This sport is just ruined. No team anymore. Just hopping around to who will pay the most. And somehow this wasn't supposed to affect recruiting players!! Ha yeah right!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    This sport is just ruined. No team anymore. Just hopping around to who will pay the most. And somehow this wasn't supposed to affect recruiting players!! Ha yeah right!!
    This is yet another lesson to be careful what you wish for. Everyone wanted the NCAA out, well they are essentially now out.

I'm very curious to see how fan interest plays out over the next 5-10 years. I won't be surprised if the interest in the sport craters and there's very little NIL opportunity left for anybody.

vCash
    Remember there will always be the sidewalk fans that live and die by what happens to the team they pull for because that team wins most if not all their games. Most of these individuals never set foot in a college classroom, let alone graduated. We all know many of these people and their self-worth is based on winning football games. They will be happy that their chosen favorite team will keep that advantage.

vCash
    Haha, we are gonna get destroyed year-in, year-out

vCash
    {This}

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This is yet another lesson to be careful what you wish for. Everyone wanted the NCAA out, well they are essentially now out.

I'm very curious to see how fan interest plays out over the next 5-10 years. I won't be surprised if the interest in the sport craters and there's very little NIL opportunity left for anybody.

In my opinion it is going to die at most schools. A kid gets into school legitimately through academics and pays $25-$30K at most State schools. Football player at same school has no tuition, free food, tutor, and special everything, plus now $25-$50K in salary (NIL). Unless you are at an elite football power with a legit shot at any run at a natty, why is the first student going to emotionally support the second. I’m not saying that players at these schools have not been given benefits in the past anyway, but I am saying it was ambiguous and somewhat secret. Ignorance was bliss for the masses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    Remember there will always be the sidewalk fans that live and die by what happens to the team they pull for because that team wins most if not all their games. Most of these individuals never set foot in a college classroom, let alone graduated. We all know many of these people and their self-worth is based on winning football games. They will be happy that their chosen favorite team will keep that advantage.
    It's over. Just a matter of time. And it won't be long.

vCash
    I could be wrong but I seem to recall on this board people saying (in different words I'm sure) that free tuition to top schools wasn't enough.

vCash

Great post.

vCash

Between the NIL and the transfer portal my interest is beginning to wain in football and basketball. We're essentially done. Our baseball team should have some great NIL deals with our culture and fan base but we don't need to wait too long and let others get too far ahead of us.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash

I thought most wanted the NCAA reorganized or overhauled because they rarely enforced their own rules and when they did it was total selective enforcement to make sure they didn't hurt any of the sacred cow programs. Not sure anyone wanted all the amateur rules tossed out with the bath water which is essentially what has happened now. Most of us here wanted scholarship reductions to make the sport more competitive. Free transfers and NIL is going to have the exact opposite effect makimg the sport even less competitive than it is right now. And the end result as several have mentioned is that the elite program fans will just get that much more invested while fans of all other schools will just grow more apathetic and season ticket sales will decline. It will be the haves and the have nots at a level we have never seen before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Our baseball team should have some great NIL deals with our culture and fan base but we don't need to wait too long and let others get too far ahead of us.
    Looks like the Vols may already have a jump but on the flip side NIL should greatly help in negating Vandy's huge advantage. You are right though, we need to get on it relentlessly.

vCash

Very possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I thought most wanted the NCAA reorganized or overhauled because they rarely enforced their own rules and when they did it was total selective enforcement to make sure they didn't hurt any of the sacred cow programs. Not sure anyone wanted all the amateur rules tossed out with the bath water which is essentially what has happened now. Most of us here wanted scholarship reductions to make the sport more competitive. Free transfers and NIL is going to have the exact opposite effect makimg the sport even less competitive than it is right now. And the end result as several have mentioned is that the elite program fans will just get that much more invested while fans of all other schools will just grow more apathetic and season ticket sales will decline. It will be the haves and the have nots at a level we have never seen before.
    The importance of compromise is lost on many, in many aspects of life, sadly.

vCash
    To me it is truly a very sad day in college football and basketball. The days of showing up for college football games in the fall with a true desire to be a part of the greatest spectacle in all of sports is now lost for most schools. Gone are the players that really wanted to be at the university of their choice, to represent their university and go out give all they had. Now all we have are basically hired goons that don?t give a rats @#$ about us as fans, the university they play for or anything but how much they will get paid and if they can get drafted by the NFL.

For me they can have it! I won?t support it. I won?t truly care what happens on Saturday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    This may be what they're shooting for in order to get the support for the super conference.

vCash
    Yeah unfortunately hoops and football for anyone outside of the blue bloods is already dying. Many just dont realize it yet bc the scores between the have and have nots havent gotten lopsided enough yet. In 5-10 years the college sports we love so much and grew up not missing a minute of, will be long gone. Baseball will follow. It's a shame. I've already gotten to where I don't care as much, and I'm sure there are many more like me. There's a reason that minor league sports have crappy attendance...it will just become more about who can buy the best team. No more playing for the pride of your university or for the passion of the game. Instead it's just a job. It's sad really.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Yeah unfortunately hoops and football for anyone outside of the blue bloods is already dying. Many just dont realize it yet bc the scores between the have and have nots havent gotten lopsided enough yet. In 5-10 years the college sports we love so much and grew up not missing a minute of, will be long gone. Baseball will follow. It's a shame. I've already gotten to where I don't care as much, and I'm sure there are many more like me. There's a reason that minor league sports have crappy attendance...it will just become more about who can buy the best team. No more playing for the pride of your university or for the passion of the game. Instead it's just a job. It's sad really.
    IMO it will only get fixed when nontraditional football schools with more money than Bama, etc. start putting together super teams and start taking the blue bloods’ candy so to speak. For example, what if Harvard, Yale, Stanford types decided to organize some of those billionaires and top 25 in football started looking like it did back in the 1920’s? I think there would suddenly be a lot of discussion about doing something.

FYI Texas A&M and Texas are going to be able to put together the best NIL packages in the SEC .
    Last edited by IMissJack; 04-24-2022 at 08:10 PM.