Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst athletic year in a long time?

vCash

It may not be the worst but it's definitely one of the most disappointing

Football- Went 7-6, lost our 2nd straight to OM, got blown out in the bowl game, improved a little from the previous year but still showed inconsistency in the offense.

Basketball- Had a tournament team on paper and missed it....again.

Women's basketball- missed the tournament, lost to OM for the first time in forever

Baseball- Pre-season top 10 team and reigning national champions and we're not going to make the tournament.

Softball- currently 31-23, 9-14 in conference. So they kinda suck too.

Volleyball- they had a pretty good season I think but I'd be lying if I said I paid attention or gave a shit.

Just a forgettable and unremarkable athletic year on nearly every front.
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 05-08-2022 at 12:01 AM.

vCash
    Softball is about as good as it can get at State. We are small potatoes.

Football better ****ing produce this season or the program very well could be done competing in this league for good. You think I'm crazy...I'm not, on this.

Baseball will have to do a 180 next season or this fanbase will start jumping in front of semi's on the interstate.

Basketball may not be good at first, but if this coach can't turn it around within a few, close the program.

Women's Bball is going to be extremely frustrating because we aren't gonna get the talent to beat that trick in Baton Rouge or the Queen.

Volleyball - see softball
    Last edited by Bothrops; 05-07-2022 at 10:58 PM.

vCash
    7-5 in football is a good season for us. Yea the bowl game sucked and losing the Egg Bowl was not fun, but you knew Leach was not going to care about the rivalry when you hired him. The wins at Auburn and A&M were very good.

Basketball was a massive letdown and as much as I would love to say this baseball let down was a complete shock the signs were staring us dead in the face. Our only two clutch hitters were TA and Rowdey last year and Sims was the consistent arm. Yea Bednar went on the heater of a lifetime in Omaha but he was up and down all year. We all knew what we had to replace and the guys we counted on to do it are not those kind of players. And then Landon got injured.

Banned
    vCash
    lol some of yall don't know about maine and polk ii and it shows

vCash
    I thought basketball would be the sport that picked us up this year but Howland didn’t get it done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I know about them. But our basketball team was pretty good during that time. I didn't ask if this was the worst football season of all time. Or the worst baseball team of all time. But if it was the worst athletic year we've had recently. I think it's definitely one of the most disappointing. All big 3 sports had high expectations and none really met them.

vCash
    Say hello to 1970

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I know about them. But our basketball team was pretty good during that time. I didn't ask if this was the worst football season of all time. Or the worst baseball team of all time. But if it was the worst athletic year we've had recently. I think it's definitely one of the most disappointing. All big 3 sports had high expectations and none really met them.
    2009-2010: 5-7 FB, NIT Basketball, 23-33 baseball No postseason at all. But hey we won the Egg Bowl so this athletic year is worse.

vCash
    2009-2010: 5-7 FB, NIT Basketball, 23-33 baseball No postseason at all. But hey we won the Egg Bowl so this athletic year is worse.
    If that's the sports year, you're saying is equal or worse that's 13 years ago. That's a pretty long time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Say hello to 1970
    LOL, I was there and saw many disasters while attending, although Baseball was again the "sport"!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Football- Went 7-6, lost our 2nd straight to OM, got blown out in the bowl game, improved a little from the previous year but still showed inconsistency in the offense.

Basketball- Had a tournament team on paper and missed it....again.

Women's basketball- missed the tournament, lost to OM for the first time in forever

Baseball- Pre-season top 10 team and reigning national champions and we're not going to make the tournament.

Softball- currently 31-23, 9-14 in conference. So they kinda suck too.

Volleyball- they had a pretty good season I think but I'd be lying if I said I paid attention or gave a shit.

Just a forgettable and unremarkable athletic year on nearly every front.
    Yeah not a great year but minus Covid year, we have had a great sports run for about what 7-8 years? I guess law of averages, we were due a really bad year.

Next year we got some sports that must make a step - football and baseball. Basketball is breaking in new coaches so they get a mulligan somewhat although if basketball leads our sports year, probably going to be another rough one next year.

Baseball is most disappointing. Baseball fans couldn't even have a swan song ride during the season to celebrate our one NC. Nope, the season reminds us we are MSU. At a time once again, we could have buried OM in the process as they are down in baseball too, we one up them on sucking.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If that's the sports year, you're saying is equal or worse that's 13 years ago. That's a pretty long time
    different perspective of time

vCash
    different perspective of time
    Guess so. I'm 45, so 13 years is 28.9% of my life

vCash
    This is nowhere close to the worst sports year. But 7, you are correct about if you look at 9-10 as the last worst year, 13 years isn't bad. It was very mediocre and disappointing - full of missed opportunities. I sat thru 93-94 as a student and that was a far worse period. We went 3-6-2 in football, basketball was 18-11, baseball was a little better but LSU has taking us to the woodshed and winning multiple natties while we seemed to be going thru the motions.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 05-08-2022 at 10:15 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    LOL, I was there and saw many disasters while attending, although Baseball was again the "sport"!
    Well you finished up with the Sun Bowl victory. And back then that was a big deal

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    It's like a lot of us went through that and then saw what a competent AD looks like with Byrne and Strickland. Hi Larry!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    7-5 in football is a good season for us. Yea the bowl game sucked and losing the Egg Bowl was not fun, but you knew Leach was not going to care about the rivalry when you hired him. .
    Was 1997 a good football year? 1997 = 2021

We knew Washington had pushed Leach around for years and laughed about it in the papers. However excuses were made that Washington was a better program that WSU. Now the excuses are turning into, "oh well, accept him for who he is..".

Naw. Losing to OM won't fly around here. I don't care if you do go off on candy corn, crop circles, or the battle of the Alamo..... nobody is laughing if you lose football games to OM every year.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    7-5 in football is a good season for us. Yea the bowl game sucked and losing the Egg Bowl was not fun, but you knew Leach was not going to care about the rivalry when you hired him. The wins at Auburn and A&M were very good.

Basketball was a massive letdown and as much as I would love to say this baseball let down was a complete shock the signs were staring us dead in the face. Our only two clutch hitters were TA and Rowdey last year and Sims was the consistent arm. Yea Bednar went on the heater of a lifetime in Omaha but he was up and down all year. We all knew what we had to replace and the guys we counted on to do it are not those kind of players. And then Landon got injured.
    I disagree. I consider 7-5 a Mediocre Year because we've proven over the last 3 decades we are capable of better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    It's like a lot of us went through that and then saw what a competent AD looks like with Byrne and Strickland. Hi Larry!
    We have Larrys understudy as the AD now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Was 1997 a good football year? 1997 = 2021

We knew Washington had pushed Leach around for years and laughed about it in the papers. However excuses were made that Washington was a better program that WSU. Now the excuses are turning into, "oh well, accept him for who he is..".

Naw. Losing to OM won't fly around here. I don't care if you do go off on candy corn, crop circles, or the battle of the Alamo..... nobody is laughing if you lose football games to OM every year.
    97 was a pretty good football year but we crashed in the end and got screwed by NCAA football bowl selection. We beat the mess out of Bama in Tuscaloosa. I was in T-town for that one and it was sweet sitting right in middle of Bama section. We beat SECW champ Auburn in Auburn 20-0. We were in the drivers seat to win SECW then Ark and OM happened at we didn't even get a bowl at 7-4 after leading SECW all year till last couple weeks.