Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
MSU has successful alumni, but MSU has got to change its mindset from being so locally oriented. We are a regional and to a smaller extent national university now. I would say at least half of our alums live outside Mississippi, and probably close to half of new students are from out of state ( I don't know the actual numbers, but going by the plates in my son's dorm last year). I got the alumnus magazine this week, and it recognized young alumni of the year. Now this is nothing against the people recognized, I'm sure they are all great...but three of the noted alums were from Starkville, and one from Eupora. We have alumni living all over the US, working for the biggest and best firms in the country. Let's be real here.
That is very interesting about all the out of state students. When I was at State in the late 2000s almost the entire student body was from Mississippi with a few from West Alabama or Tennessee. There must have been a major shift because it used to be Ole Miss got a lot more out of state kids from Texas and Tennessee. I was a big outlier being from Southwest Pennsylvania. I barely knew anyone from outside a 3-4 hour radius of Starkville