Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Garner

vCash

Daniel Garner

is practicing at 1B now (I didn't know), his catching days are over. I assume if he doesn't leave, he will play 1B in summer ball to get better.

vCash
    I asked this question the other day but is there any chance that Collins changes positions if Vallot makes it to campus? Wasn't he originally also listed as an OF? Didn't know if we could use his arm in RF without the down side of all the passed balls.

vCash
    Interesting.

vCash
    Collins can play almost anywhere, as can Humphreys... Garner is more limited.

vCash
    Vallot played 1B in all star game I saw on TV. Did rather well.

Senior Member The Croom Diaries's Avatar
    vCash
    For a team that struggles with offense, and we're losing our leading hitter (Pirtle) we need to figure out a way to keep Garner. If it means 1B then do it.

vCash
    Would love to see Garner and Rea compete to start at first in the offseason. We need more pop and garner gives it to us. Give him an offseason to learn the position and he could be a serviceable defensive first baseman. We've known for a while he will never be our catcher, so we need to find a way to get his power on the field next season.

vCash
    I like the idea of Garner at 1B. From what I remember, Collins was always a C, and I think he needs to stay there. He can work on the passed balls, his arm is too valuable behind the plate.

I don't think Vallot is as highly-regarded as a C as Collins was.

vCash
    If Vallot comes to school, that would be good because:

1. We obviously need his bat.

2. We need two catchers anyway to avoid wearing both of them out.

3. Whoever is not catching can DH, which would give us a more traditional DH- a guy with power.

vCash
    Daniel Garner has been practicing at first base for while. If Rea leaves, he would be one of the front runners for the position.

He is still a work in progress at the plate too- he can smoke OOC pitching, but he only had one hit in SEC play and struck out almost every at bat. Garner will play more of a role next year and will compete for the DH spot and possibly first base.

vCash
    If Vallot comes in (and I know that is a big if) then I would like to see Collins along with possibly Humphreys moved to the OF. We don't need FOUR catchers on the roster (Collins, Vallot, Randolph, Walker) but we DO need help in the OF. Vickerson, Robson and Brown is a very weak hitting OF with only Brown looking pretty decent this year. Now some of it also depends on what Swinarski and Rooker look like in the OF as well but I don't like depending on freshmen even if they've redshirted. Humphreys, Brown and Collins could be a great hitting OF with Vickerson also being available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    If Vallot comes in (and I know that is a big if) then I would like to see Collins along with possibly Humphreys moved to the OF. We don't need FOUR catchers on the roster (Collins, Vallot, Randolph, Walker) but we DO need help in the OF. Vickerson, Robson and Brown is a very weak hitting OF with only Brown looking pretty decent this year. Now some of it also depends on what Swinarski and Rooker look like in the OF as well but I don't like depending on freshmen even if they've redshirted. Humphreys, Brown and Collins could be a great hitting OF with Vickerson also being available.
    Four is not a bad number on a 35 man roster. If we get Vallot, then Randolph's playing time is going to be limited to SWAC teams, and Walker will only get slightly more. But the thing about catcher is it's a physically demanding position- and an injury or two could be a killer.

We'll probably use Swinarski and Rooker a lot like we used Humphreys, Garner, and Cody Brown this year. As role guys- unless one of them blows up. Waddell the new guy that just committed will help with that too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I can't see us ever trying Humphreys and Collins in the same OF unless Humphreys is better defensively out there than I would expect him to be. I don't think Collins would be an asset defensively, and we'll never use two OFs who are average at best defensively at the same time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I don't think Vallot is as highly-regarded as a C as Collins was.
    Disagree on this. Vallot has a better arm and pop time than Collins did coming out. As good as Collins has been in some regards, Vallot is better. And his concerns are the same as Collins' were.

Collins was considered an athlete coming in and not a pure catcher prospect. Was alot of talk that he'd get a shot in the outfield initially...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If Vallot comes to school, that would be good because:

1. We obviously need his bat.

2. We need two catchers anyway to avoid wearing both of them out.

3. Whoever is not catching can DH, which would give us a more traditional DH- a guy with power.
    By my count we would have 4 catchers if Vallot comes to school but if he can play OF and leave Collins as the starting C that is fine too. At least I assume Randolph and Walker will be back.

vCash
    I would rotate Vallot and Collins at C and DH to keep them fresh. Put Garner at 1st and Hump at 3rd. That's 4 good bats right there with power. Then the FSU kid at short, Heck at 2nd. OF would be Brown in LF, Vick in CF, and whoever's the best among Swinarski, Rooker and any incoming player in RF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I can't see us ever trying Humphreys and Collins in the same OF unless Humphreys is better defensively out there than I would expect him to be. I don't think Collins would be an asset defensively, and we'll never use two OFs who are average at best defensively at the same time.
    We've got to find somewhere for Humphreys to play. With the former FSU guy coming in looks to me like he, Heck and Britton will occupy 2B, SS and 3B in some fashion. Only leaves 1B as another starting infield spot and Rea may be coming back plus Garner is there as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I would rotate Vallot and Collins at C and DH to keep them fresh. Put Garner at 1st and Hump at 3rd. That's 4 good bats right there with power. Then the FSU kid at short, Heck at 2nd. OF would be Brown in LF, Vick in CF, and whoever's the best among Swinarski, Rooker and any incoming player in RF.
    I doubt Cohen pulls Britton off of 3rd base for Humphreys at this point. Based on what was seen this year that's a significant step down defensively.

vCash
    We have a lot of interesting choices to make with the lineup next year. SS and 2B you have to expect we have a good idea, but it's going to be interesting to see how the rest of the field shakes out. What Rea does and where Humphries fits are going to start some dominoes.

Our hitting potential goes up a good notch if you can have Garner, Humphreys, Vallot, Collins in the middle of the lineup assuming they don't all hit .200

vCash
    So what is the realistic chance Vallot comes to school? I have been told there is almost NO chance of him not going pro.