Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    The issue is there will be a corupt group regardless of the structure of govt. Our's just happens to limit it to a degree. We certainly aren't as bad off as China or Russia are. Another issue with Uni Healthcare is someone has to pay for it somewhere. If the govt is paying for it it will look just like the VA hospitals do.

If you haven't read up on VA hospitals I would suggest you take a look. It is awful. Patients aren't getting seen, appointments are delayed sometimes by months. People have died waiting to actually get something done at VA hospitals. Because anytime you are talking about a govt. run program bureaucracy will take over.

Look at the DMV, is that what you want to experience when you visit a hospital?

I agree there are things we should be doing or could be doing but Universal Healthcare isn't going to solve the poverty issue.
    These are all fair points. My rebuttal to china and russia is that canada and europe seem to have certain aspects of the healthcare figured out that we don't. The VA hospitals man... just an absolute travesty.

I don't think UH or UBI are a magic cure-all. And I agree that bureaucracy destroys it. It's absolutely mindnumbing to see people wanting to go backwards however. And I still believe we gotta try. There's no perfect solution path (anyone who says there is, is lying.) But there's definitely steps better than we got. As for the hospitals being the DMV, I mean for a lot of people it can be, even in the ER. Not VA level bad, but it's gotten pretty bad.

Sidenote: We could all (myself included) take a lesson from this post. This is how we should be discussing things. Together not against.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    These are all fair points. My rebuttal to china and russia is that canada and europe seem to have certain aspects of the healthcare figured out that we don't. The VA hospitals man... just an absolute travesty.

I don't think UH or UBI are a magic cure-all. And I agree that bureaucracy destroys it. It's absolutely mindnumbing to see people wanting to go backwards however. And I still believe we gotta try. There's no perfect solution path (anyone who says there is, is lying.) But there's definitely steps better than we got. As for the hospitals being the DMV, I mean for a lot of people it can be, even in the ER. Not VA level bad, but it's gotten pretty bad.

Sidenote: We could all (myself included) take a lesson from this post. This is how we should be discussing things. Together not against.
    Yes, Canada and Europe seem to be doing some things correctly.

My rebuttal to that is we aren't Canada or some small Scandinavian country. It is much easier to run a unified universal healthcare system when your population is more similar to Rhode Island than it is the entire United states.

Those Scandinavian countries also have had much better unemployment rates which means more people are paying into the system. Our unemployment rate is now much improved or was before the COVID stuff hit which would help some.

Same thing with Canada, their entire population is roughly 37 million. California has 39 million people alone.

We aren't Sweden, Norway or Switzerland. It is nearly impossible to compare the two healthcare systems.

European countries are also much healthier than the United States is which cuts down on the demands placed on Healthcare. Less heart disease, Lung Disease, Diabetes, Cancer etc.

If we are going to have Universal Healthcare then we might as well go ahead and start placing requirements on diet etc. to receive "free" healthcare.
    Basically a "if you can't afford healthcare that is alright we will cover it but you better not be stuffing yourself with junk food and getting zero exercise."

And don't take my comments as divisive or attacking, just pointing out some things to think about. Just as it may not be fair for some to not receive healthcare, it isn't fair to me to foot the healthcare bill for someone that wants to eat nothing but fried food and not exercise while also not being to afford their own healthcare.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Yes, Canada and Europe seem to be doing some things correctly.

My rebuttal to that is we aren't Canada or some small Scandinavian country. It is much easier to run a unified universal healthcare system when your population is more similar to Rhode Island than it is the entire United states.

Those Scandinavian countries also have had much better unemployment rates which means more people are paying into the system. Our unemployment rate is now much improved or was before the COVID stuff hit which would help some.

Same thing with Canada, their entire population is roughly 37 million. California has 39 million people alone.

We aren't Sweden, Norway or Switzerland. It is nearly impossible to compare the two healthcare systems.

European countries are also much healthier than the United States is which cuts down on the demands placed on Healthcare. Less heart disease, Lung Disease, Diabetes, Cancer etc.

If we are going to have Universal Healthcare then we might as well go ahead and start placing requirements on diet etc. to receive "free" healthcare.
    Basically a "if you can't afford healthcare that is alright we will cover it but you better not be stuffing yourself with junk food and getting zero exercise."

And don't take my comments as divisive or attacking, just pointing out some things to think about. Just as it may not be fair for some to not receive healthcare, it isn't fair to me to foot the healthcare bill for someone that wants to eat nothing but fried food and not exercise while also not being to afford their own healthcare.
    So, do we have to line up in front of a two way TV and exercise? I think I've seen that somewhere before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    So, do we have to line up in front of a two way TV and exercise? I think I've seen that somewhere before.
    Yes, If you can't afford your own health insurance and expect others to cover it. I think that is the least someone could do if they aren't paying in on health insurance and I am not sure why that would be wrong? Now if you're paying your taxes due then I have no problems with you eating whatever you want and exercising however you see fit as you're paying your part of the bill.

The thought that someone should be able to stay as unhealthy as possible while getting free healthcare paid for by others isn't right. They should at the very least attempt to avoid things that would put them at a higher risk of ending up in the hospital or at a doctors office.