Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This game reinforced one thing

vCash

This game reinforced one thing

The disparity between the P5 and G5 is bigger than most CFB fans and media types want to admit. We're a bad SEC team that was fairly lucky to finish 3-7. And we were incredibly sloppy again today on offense. But we still beat a ranked G5 team despite playing with a bunch of freshmen and having zero depth with all the "opt outs." Anyone arguing that the G5 deserves a playoff spot, even in an expanded 8 team format, is crazy. Bama/Clemson would murder whoever the 8 seed G5 team is.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    They had 484 total yards to our 271.

We bent but didn't break on defense, and that plus the turnovers were the difference.

vCash
    Yeah I thought the same thing. There are some good G5 teams but not 5 ranked G5 from the same conf. That is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    They had 484 total yards to our 271.

We bent but didn't break on defense, and that plus the turnovers were the difference.
    Yeah, we were fortunate to win this game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Yeah, we were fortunate to win this game.
    While it's great to win the game, it's still somewhat alarming that we could only muster 271 yards and 21 offensive points vs. a G5 team

vCash
    While it's great to win the game, it's still somewhat alarming that we could only muster 271 yards and 21 offensive points vs. a G5 team
    Very much so. It's no secret I didn't like the Leach hire because I don't believe you can be completely one dimensional and win in the SEC. It's only fair to see if he can improve the results with recruiting "his" players and an actual spring practice plus summer and fall camp, but based on what I've seen this season, I'm highly skeptical that will make any difference.

vCash
    absolutely. And we are losing our 2 starting guards.

vCash
    UGA v Cincy will be a test of that theory. #1 GarbageUSA v top of SEC.

vCash
    FWIW, our passing yards this year are right on par with Leach's first years at Tech and Wazzou and we did it against an all SEC schedule.

I'm excited about how we ran the ball to end the season. We've got to get stronger and Kyle athletic at QB and our young RBs have to get stronger as well.

We're so much better now than we were to end last season.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I don’t understand some people. Some of you wanna say well we gave up 480 yards or well we don’t win without the turnovers they had, or we were lucky to win this game....

Who gives a shit!! It’s a win and a win is a win... In the books it don’t say shit about well they won but they gave up a lot of yards....

Last time I checked, turnovers and the other team playing offense is part of the game.

Some of Y’all would bitch if Leach won the damn sugar bowl....

vCash
    State was a 3 7 team going into a bowl game due to unstoppable circumstances that changed the way things normally go. To get a win is hard to be upset about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    UGA v Cincy will be a test of that theory. #1 GarbageUSA v top of SEC.
    #1 G5 vs #4 SEC team you mean. Bama gap A&M UF UGA big gap everyone else is how the conference shook out

vCash
    One of the reasons for yard disparity was Tulu kept returning to their 40. That's 35 yards that we didn't have to go every possession that started with a kickoff return, which I believe was 5 not counting the onside kick. So prob 150 yards.

I felt the game was pretty evenly matched. We have to get more explosive at outside wr and leach has to get more creative getting playmakers the ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    FWIW, our passing yards this year are right on par with Leach's first years at Tech and Wazzou and we did it against an all SEC schedule.

I'm excited about how we ran the ball to end the season. We've got to get stronger and Kyle athletic at QB and our young RBs have to get stronger as well.

We're so much better now than we were to end last season.
    ABSOLUTELY! Leach implemented that toss pitch early in the year, then vs OM I saw us finally start pulling OL, and i nthe last 2 games he was calling a lot more runs than he had in previous seasons. That gives me hope he's willing to go more run heavy.

We'll be better at QB next year wther it's by WIll learning and getting stronger or a new guy beating him out, better at RB as ours get stronger, better at WR as we get new guys in and will have a full offseason to rep it, and OL should be better. Remember, to start the year our C couldn't snap and our RT (Eiland and Johnson) couldn't block. Jones has been really solid at RT and he's young. Center has solved itself. Gotta replace the guards BUT that's the easiest OL spot to replace, and all the guys on this roster have now had a year in this system.

I don't think we light it up next year because we have a looooooong way to go from a speed and execution standpoint, BUT we will be better on O for sure. D probably will be too once we add Pickering an Peters back

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Why do people not take into consideration the number of players we lost before and through the season for various reasons. Look at what losing 5-6 players did to Florida last night. We basically started from scratch in August with players getting used to coaches and an entirely new scheme and then went through drama with losing players and fighting Covid and injuries. But everybody expects a well oiled machine. Did you notice the times we had 3 walk-on's playing defense today? Not 3 second teamer's, or even third teamer's, but walk-on's. But everybody makes a big deal about it when it happens to a Florida or LSU and gives them a pass. The best thing this year did was give a lot of players a lot of experience that they normally wouldn't have gotten. Not to knock any player, but I hope a Collin Duncan or a Shawn Preston is a third teamer next year because that would let me know that we would have a hell of a starter and backup. Florida lost 55-20 from losing 5-6 players. How many did we lose going back to the summer and through the season? Put a freshman QB, RB, LT and WR on any team in the SEC along with 3 walk-on's on defense and see how you end up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    One of the reasons for yard disparity was Tulu kept returning to their 40. That's 35 yards that we didn't have to go every possession that started with a kickoff return, which I believe was 5 not counting the onside kick. So prob 150 yards.

I felt the game was pretty evenly matched. We have to get more explosive at outside wr and leach has to get more creative getting playmakers the ball.
    138 return yards and 90 yards on an int.

vCash
    The bottom line is we were in control of the game from start to finish.

vCash

This is a great point. But it will infuriate the bitchers on the site.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    The bottom line is we were in control of the game from start to finish.
    Yep

vCash

This is our drive chart..
    3 plays 39 yds td
    3 plays 2 yds
    7 plays 13 yds
    7 plays 30 yards
    7 plays 16 yards
    9 plays 64 yards td
    4 plays 5 yds
    4 plays 12 yards
    11 plays 65 yds td
    3 plays 7 yds

It isn't like we were moving and just didn't have much field to move on