Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
We have not ignored him. We don't have pandemics because of moral failings. We have pandemics because sometimes there are novel contagious viruses. We listened and locked down for mostly no purpose after the first two weeks. In hindsight, even the first two weeks were pointless, but we didn't know as much about the virus then. We seriously damaged the finances of our hospitals and more or less accomplished nothing other than ensuring that our powder is dry when we need it. And it wouldn't have taken any great effort for Dobbs to learn that there was going to be a limit to how much people would adjust their behavior in response to a pandemic. It would have basically required that he have a little bit of curiosity and ask somebody.

Also, it is somewhat fascinating to me that in school, when we learned about flagellants during the black death, it was sort of with the context of "can you believe how ignorant and crazy those people were"? But apparently there is a deep seated human need to believe we could have avoided bad things if we just acted more morally rather than accepting that there are bad things that happen that we can't avoid short of choosing something worse.
This is what people don't get. This was going to happen. There's no way to fully stop it without a vaccine. The onus can't completely be on healthy people, but some have made it out that way. You have an obligation to take care of yourself. It's always been that way. If you're in a high risk category and choose to go out into large crowds then that tells me that you believe the reward is greater than the risk and you know what could happen. In the words of Ron Swanson, "If you want to eat garbage and balloon up to 600 lbs then that's your right". But you can't turn around and then get mad at others because they didn't protect you. You didn't protect yourself. I have a good friend who is a DIE HARD bulldog, but he's in a high risk category for this stuff. So he's made the sacrifice to not go to any ballgame and basically avoid large crowds whenever possible. He's taking care of himself instead of expecting others to do it and then getting mad when he inevitably would get sick.