Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auburn Coaching Search Rumors

vCash

Auburn Coaching Search Rumors

A lot of chatter on the AU boards that Dan Lanning, current head coach of Oregon, is their choice. And per a rumor from Greg McElroy, Lanning turned down their initial offer. He wants more money.

And the word is if Lanning turns down the next offer Auburn will move on to Mike Elko.

vCash
    Will he bring Bo Nix back??

vCash
    Cohen May have the shortest AD term ever if he hires either of them. Auburn fans want Kiffin or Freeze, and will be pissed at Cohen if it is anyone else.

vCash
    Auburn 247 moderators ran a recent article about Cohen looking for the coach that is the right "fit". It seemed orchestrated to get the Auburn fans prepared for a name outside the box.
    Lanning though - didn't he issue a statement yesterday declining any interest, and then he went even further about living in Oregon, and talked about coaches looking for the next thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Msujd164 View Post
    Cohen May have the shortest AD term ever if he hires either of them. Auburn fans want Kiffin or Freeze, and will be pissed at Cohen if it is anyone else.
    Auburn fans were fine with Lanning, also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Auburn 247 moderators ran a recent article about Cohen looking for the coach that is the right "fit". It seemed orchestrated to get the Auburn fans prepared for a name outside the box.
    Lanning though - didn't he issue a statement yesterday declining any interest, and then he went even further about living in Oregon, and talked about coaches looking for the next thing.
    Seems he talked about his family and the moves he has made in the past. I believe he is putting his family as his priority and not sure he has interest at Auburn. I kinda get the feeling with his statement "grass isn't always greener = to Auburn being toxic, which it is for Coaches.

vCash
    Once Cohen was hired the ship sailed on freeze

vCash
    I kinda doubt Cohen will be turned loose on this hire. I figure he'll have "help"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calidawg View Post
    I don't think Cohen has any impact on that. I think if Auburn keeps striking out, the decision over whether to roll the dice on telling the SEC to 17 off and offer Freeze will be above Cohen's pay grade. If he has an impact, it will be because he convinces them to make one more offer to a coach they were on the fence about before making the decision on Freeze.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I don't think Cohen has any impact on that. I think if Auburn keeps striking out, the decision over whether to roll the dice on telling the SEC to 17 off and offer Freeze will be above Cohen's pay grade. If he has an impact, it will be because he convinces them to make one more offer to a coach they were on the fence about before making the decision on Freeze.
    Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around why Cohen was hired in the first place. What the hell had he been doing at State that made Auburn go "Oh yeah, I gotta get me some of that!".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around why Cohen was hired in the first place. What the hell had he been doing at State that made Auburn go "Oh yeah, I gotta get me some of that!".
    I think all of our ADs benefit from MSU coaching jobs being better than they are perceived, so when we have success across programs, they think the AD is doing a great job. I think Byrne was really good, Stricklan was good, and Cohen was hit or miss but certainly not terrible. But if you look at his tenure from an outsider's perspective, we're doing pretty well overall compared to what they think we should be doing.

vCash
    But Coach said Freeze to AU was picking up steam and that Leach may head out the door because of SEC defenses.

vCash
    @Rebelgrove. Hahahaha. You had us until "Rodgers"

Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 11-09-2022 at 03:47 PM.

vCash
    I don't know why it would be Cohens fault. Theyre a national brand all right.... for toxicity. I mean hell. Harelson never got a chance. Who wants that and playing little brother to Bama and UGA.

vCash
    Boy if Cohen brings in Mike freaking Elko as head coach , he gonna get fired on the spot.

Cohen gotta realize that the Mississippi State mindset of letting a guy build a program doesnt exist at Auburn, they want a name

Hell, me as a Mississippi State fan would be pissed with a mike elko hire at Mississippi State.

The fans will turn on Cohen already if he doesnt hire

Freeze, Kiffin, Lanning, Meyer, Deion, or Rhule

Its an absolute train wreck if he has to settle for Mike Elko, it may turn into a tennessee 2017 situation.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Elko has about as much chance at getting that job as I do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    Boy if Cohen brings in Mike freaking Elko as head coach , he gonna get fired on the spot.

Cohen gotta realize that the Mississippi State mindset of letting a guy build a program doesnt exist at Auburn, they want a name

Hell, me as a Mississippi State fan would be pissed with a mike elko hire at Mississippi State.

The fans will turn on Cohen already if he doesnt hire

Freeze, Kiffin, Lanning, Meyer, Deion, or Rhule

Its an absolute train wreck if he has to settle for Mike Elko, it may turn into a tennessee 2017 situation.
    There's probably some on this board that would take Elko over Leach today. Luckily, I'm not one of them.

Matt Rhule is currently without a job and a big time college hire waiting to happen. If a program like Auburn's can't pull serious interest from someone like Rhule then there's some smoldering dumpster fire level stuff going on in the background we aren't seeing.

I'm thinking there's some serious push back on Freeze from SEC HQ. This would have been a done deal otherwise.

Lanning staying at Oregon is huge. Lane probably has his sights set on something other than Auburn. He may be waiting on Jimbo to get fired next year. A&M is a sleeping giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Elko has about as much chance at getting that job as I do.
    When the insiders on your board are prepping you for a possible Mike Elko hire you know it's bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calidawg View Post
    Cohen has no say in the hire.

vCash
    Mike Elko hasn't had enough time yet but he's won more games already this year than Duke's last 2 seasons combined. That's a dang good start to a HC career at Duke