Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Mississippi State Athletic Director

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    No, I think it completely changes your point. We are matching our peak and rising anyway.
    Are we? I?m not sure I?d agree with that. Our peak was undefeated, number 1, and a coach being rumored to be paid a brinks truck to leave us tor a ?blue blood?. I don?t think we are there right now. Idk. I want the best for us, and I don?t think Leach is it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    Are we? I?m not sure I?d agree with that. Our peak was undefeated, number 1, and a coach being rumored to be paid a brinks truck to leave us tor a ?blue blood?. I don?t think we are there right now. Idk. I want the best for us, and I don?t think Leach is it.
    Yeah, I don't know if Leach is ever going to get us to #1 (I can dream though), but our peak was Dan Mullen averaging 7.1-4.9 over his 9 regular seasons. (It can be noted that over those 9 seasons he went 0-2 against P5 nonconfs and didn't play one in the other 7, while Leach has gone 2-0 against P5 nonconfs and will probably also have to start playing a 9th SEC game every year soon.)

I think Leach will beat that easily if he has 9 years as our head coach, especially if you "adjust" for the 2020 COVID year. I don't know that he is the "best" coach we could possibly have, but I do think it's a reasonable prediction that he will generally be considered the best coach in school history in 10 years. Maybe not on this board, maybe not in our fanbase as a whole, but by most of the country.

vCash
    Yeah, I don't know if Leach is ever going to get us to #1 (I can dream though), but our peak was Dan Mullen averaging 7.1-4.9 over his 9 regular seasons. (It can be noted that over those 9 seasons he went 0-2 against P5 nonconfs and didn't play one in the other 7, while Leach has gone 2-0 against P5 nonconfs and will probably also have to start playing a 9th SEC game every year soon.)

I think Leach will beat that easily if he has 9 years as our head coach, especially if you "adjust" for the 2020 COVID year. I don't know that he is the "best" coach we could possibly have, but I do think it's a reasonable prediction that he will generally be considered the best coach in school history in 10 years. Maybe not on this board, maybe not in our fanbase as a whole, but by most of the country.
    Historically Leach's "peak" is 11-2 at both Washington State and Texas Tech which he has accomplished twice. He did that in year 9 at Tech and year 7 at Wazzu. Mostly 8-9 win seasons otherwise and his low seasons were typically in the first three seasons. He did have one 6-7 season in 2019 his last season at Wazzu but otherwise he has pretty much had consistent 8-9 win seasons.

No one wants to hear this now but if we give him time I think he will get that 11 win season here too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    We'll never get to our true "peak" no matter the coach until we start investing more in football recruiting. Something I hope the new AD does. Because that's something no MSU AD has ever truly embraced.

vCash

Who will be his QBs over that time period? I just don?t see anyway the Texas Guys are here next year. Maybe Locke, but I don?t see how the other two wait behind Rogers another year. They may never figure out Leach?s offense but they were too highly rated to not find a team they can play for.

vCash
    Pike dog is right in the money. I have been telling y?all since after the egg bowl last year that if leech losses again this year?.. he is done at State. Keenum hates Ole Miss as much as anyone?. And it?s a done deal if they beat us again this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reunion Dog View Post
    Pike dog is right in the money. I have been telling y?all since after the egg bowl last year that if leech losses again this year?.. he is done at State. Keenum hates Ole Miss as much as anyone?. And it?s a done deal if they beat us again this year.
    But Pike has already backed off that guarantee in this very thread...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reunion Dog View Post
    Lol

He’s on something alright but it’s not money

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Historically Leach's "peak" is 11-2 at both Washington State and Texas Tech which he has accomplished twice. He did that in year 9 at Tech and year 7 at Wazzu. Mostly 8-9 win seasons otherwise and his low seasons were typically in the first three seasons. He did have one 6-7 season in 2019 his last season at Wazzu but otherwise he has pretty much had consistent 8-9 win seasons.

No one wants to hear this now but if we give him time I think he will get that 11 win season here too.
    I think he would have but the world has changed now. Leach wants to do things traditionally by developing players like before NIL and the transfer portal. Not going after transfers and our limitations in the NIL are going to make things difficult on Leach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I think he would have but the world has changed now. Leach wants to do things traditionally by developing players like before NIL and the transfer portal. Not going after transfers and our limitations in the NIL are going to make things difficult on Leach.
    Leach has gotten several players out of the transfer portal each year here. Not sure where this "not going after transfers" talking point comes from.

vCash
    Leach has gotten several players out of the transfer portal each year here. Not sure where this "not going after transfers" talking point comes from.
    It’s a false narrative. Leach will use the portal and nil as much as anybody. He correctly made statements that nil was not good for the game of college football , some of his enemies ran with that to say he won’t use the portal or nil. Nil is just about money. That’s boosters not the coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    It’s a false narrative. Leach will use the portal and nil as much as anybody. He correctly made statements that nil was not good for the game of college football , some of his enemies ran with that to say he won’t use the portal or nil. Nil is just about money. That’s boosters not the coach.
    We are getting a few players but Polk has probably been the only difference maker. Overall, I dont think Leach really wants to go the transfer route in any significant way though. We desperately needed a proven OT this year but couldn't get one.

vCash
    Perusing these posts from the beginning to end....some folk are living in some kind of alternate reality.

vCash

I've said this numerous times. Leach is Mullen from a results standpoint.
    And keeping us 7-5 or above is a tremendous job. We should be Mizzou, Vandy, usce and instead the last 14 season we are Arkansas, Aggie, auburn.

vCash
    We are getting a few players but Polk has probably been the only difference maker. Overall, I dont think Leach really wants to go the transfer route in any significant way though. We desperately needed a proven OT this year but couldn't get one.
    Has OT been an issue this year? Jackie Matthews and Jalen Green have both been very good pick ups.

vCash
    Any player who single-handedly flips a loss to a win is a "difference maker," even if it's just 1, so add KJ Costello to your list.

vCash
    Actually we tried like hell to get a portal OL but that is very hard to do. Of all the positions that seems to be the most competitive, everybody wants one. Hopefully we spot a few this year, Lasoya was a good get

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I've said this numerous times. Leach is Mullen from a results standpoint.
    And keeping us 7-5 or above is a tremendous job. We should be Mizzou, Vandy, usce and instead the last 14 season we are Arkansas, Aggie, auburn.
    Every year we need to split OM/Ark/UK and the barn/LSU/T7&5 (which ever is down that year). This will put us at 6 wins. If our other east opponent is anyone other than UGA (and UT this year), we can easily get 7 wins. Throw in an upset or two and that's 8 or 9 wins, very respectable. We should never schedule an out of conference opponent that has a realistic chance of beating us. Our schedule is hard enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Has OT been an issue this year? Jackie Matthews and Jalen Green have both been very good pick ups.
    Our safeties have been very bad in pass coverage for two years.

vCash
    OM got 20 players out of the portal for this year. Lane and staff have molded them into a team and it doesn't seem to have taken them long to learn the offence on that side of the ball.