Thread: Post Regional Thoughts

vCash

Post Regional Thoughts

1. There's no way around it, today was disappointing. I really expected us to come out and step on their throats and it looked like we were going to do that and then we just kind of went through the motions. Starting Fristoe was definitely a mistake and he probably needs to be shut down for the year. He's beyond the hitting the wall point. He kind of just keeps running into the wall. Harding was excellent and so was Landon as usual.

2. This is the Kam James we need. Kam finally coming back to life was a big reason for our success this weekend. I thought he had really good ABs all weekend and we need that next weekend too.

3. We got exactly what we needed from Will and CMac. I thought both of these guys had awesome starts and let us really save our bullpen to the point that if it would've come down to a Game 2 today then we would've had options.

4. We're at our best with this lineup. As I said earlier today was bad, but I still like the options we have 1-9 with this lineup. Cumbest and Clark really provide some pop in the bottom of the lineup and although we don't get anything from Lane his glove is the reason he's out there. Good play in the 9th to not let the nerves get to you and make a good throw.

5. NO MORE OFF GAMES. From here on out we have to be at our best every game or we will get embarrassed. We can't play two good games and then have a Mizzou type game, which is what we had today.

Overall, I'm still pleased with the full scope of the weekend. With that being said, flush today and BRING ON RUDY. LET'S RIDE

vCash
    I don't see today as bad as you did. Fristoe was awful. Three of their runs came off him not being ready to go. Probably the last time we see him pitch this year. Lemonis was about as mad as I've seen him at a player when he went and got him from the mount.

Lineup could have done more but credit Campbell. They fight hard and they didn't pitch poorly. We had chances but just missed a few.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    1. There's no way around it, today was disappointing.
    Lol, stopped reading here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I don't see today as bad as you did. Fristoe was awful. Three of their runs came off him not being ready to go. Probably the last time we see him pitch this year. Lemonis was about as mad as I've seen him at a player when he went and got him from the mount.

Lineup could have done more but credit Campbell. They fight hard and they didn't pitch poorly. We had chances but just missed a few.
    I'm not upset about the runs we have up. I'm upset with looking incompetent on offense. This is the same Campbell team that gave up runs at a 14 runs/game clip in three games to vcu and Samford. Their pitching is pathetic and for the most part we couldn't do anything with it.

vCash

I've got no problem with the pitching, outside of Fristoe. My issue was that we couldn't hit a staff that was drained. Heck they've given up 19, 13, and 10 runs respectively and we struggled to push across 6. I understand that we're not an offensive driven ballclub but we've ought to be able to manufacture more runs than that. Again, overall it doesn't matter because we won. But the way we played offensively was more than concerning imo.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 06-07-2021 at 03:42 PM.

vCash
    1. There's no way around it, today was disappointing. I really expected us to come out and step on their throats and it looked like we were going to do that and then we just kind of went through the motions. Starting Fristoe was definitely a mistake and he probably needs to be shut down for the year. He's beyond the hitting the wall point. He kind of just keeps running into the wall. Harding was excellent and so was Landon as usual.

2. This is the Kam James we need. Kam finally coming back to life was a big reason for our success this weekend. I thought he had really good ABs all weekend and we need that next weekend too.

3. We got exactly what we needed from Will and CMac. I thought both of these guys had awesome starts and let us really save our bullpen to the point that if it would've come down to a Game 2 today then we would've had options.

4. We're at our best with this lineup. As I said earlier today was bad, but I still like the options we have 1-9 with this lineup. Cumbest and Clark really provide some pop in the bottom of the lineup and although we don't get anything from Lane his glove is the reason he's out there. Good play in the 9th to not let the nerves get to you and make a good throw.

5. NO MORE OFF GAMES. From here on out we have to be at our best every game or we will get embarrassed. We can't play two good games and then have a Mizzou type game, which is what we had today.

Overall, I'm still pleased with the full scope of the weekend. With that being said, flush today and BRING ON RUDY. LET'S RIDE

I'm finding it hard to be too disappointed in clinching a super regional birth.

Sure it would have been nice to come out and win convincingly, but I think 3-0 and no injuries is really as much as anybody can ask for.

vCash
    I've got no problem with the pitching, outside of Fristoe. My issue was that we couldn't hit a staff that was drained. Heck they've given up 19, 13, and 10 runs respectively and we struggled to push across 6. I understand that we're not an offensive driven ballclub but we've ought to be able to manufacture more runs than that. Again, overall it doesn't matter because we won. But the way we played offensively was more than concerning imo.
    I think more than concerning would be an overreaction. Which is what a lot of folks on this board did going into this regional.

We are a good team that played pretty well this weekend. Campbell has a Top 40 RPI and won their conference. They are not a bad team.

vCash
    With 15's by our pitching staff today, we now have 715 on the year. Our single season record is 718 and was set in 2019.

vCash
    Our fans are the worst. Truly.

vCash
    For real! Sweep a regional, extend the nations longest super regional streak and a fans VERY FIRST LINE IN A POST.

I’m disappointed.

Simply unbelievable

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I'm finding it hard to be too disappointed in clinching a super regional birth.

Sure it would have been nice to come out and win convincingly, but I think 3-0 and no injuries is really as much as anybody can ask for.
    This All Day. I'm so syked about our baseball operations and how we perform when it counts. Finding a reason to Bitch today requires the bitchers to perform very deep anal probes on themselves.
    Last edited by OLJWales; 06-07-2021 at 04:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    For real! Sweep a regional, extend the nations longest super regional streak and a fans VERY FIRST LINE IN A POST.

I?m disappointed.

Simply unbelievable
    Amen, Hambone!

vCash

LOL. Someday we are going to win a Natty and there will still be people who will be disappointed somehow.

vCash
    Wow I?m kinda shocked reading an awful post! I drive up all 3 games and winning is never awful.

I just got home and I can tell you guys Campbell is a very good club. They can rake but our pitching other than the first inning was great! Fact is we played very well overall all three games, pitching, hitting and defense.

Proud how we played this weekend especially after last week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Wow I?m kinda shocked reading an awful post! I drive up all 3 games and winning is never awful.

I just got home and I can tell you guys Campbell is a very good club. They can rake but our pitching other than the first inning was great! Fact is we played very well overall all three games, pitching, hitting and defense.

Proud how we played this weekend especially after last week.
    Well said. We just didn't get the big hit w runner in scoring position today. It wasn't for lack of base runners. And the d was good all weekend.

vCash

vCash
    I'm certainly not disappointed. I can understand being frustrated with our hitting sometimes, but we are in regional play. Camels had a pretty good day on the mound but so did we, except Fristoe.

I am, though, ecstatic with how our defense played. Good defense is a must for us to advance.

vCash

Yeah, Campbell deserve credit for never giving up and playing to the last out.

It was awesome to see their coach talk with Neto, the last batter. Prolly told him he had a great season and that he deserved to be the batter up with 2-outs in the 9th

That was a great human and sportsman moment. The relentless effort of Campbell should be a good memory for the MSU club. The privilege of being so talented and playing On is a big deal.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Maybe just maybe, Campbell will look back and think about their run in the regional with fond memories and disappointed they had to run into the national champions so early in the overall tourney.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    We have to be careful not to get used to winning. We are in the sweet 16 for the 5th year in a row in a sport where luck and streaks play a huge role. Our program is a beast!