Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So if Chance Lovertich beats out Will Rogers....

vCash

So if Chance Lovertich beats out Will Rogers....

Will most of you phone in the season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Ain't happening

vCash
    I'm sure Abraham will get his shot to win the job when he comes back from his concussion. Although I think the delay will kill Abraham's chances to win the job to open the season.

But to answer the question- no. I as a fan would give Chance an opportunity to prove himself if he wins the job.

Our fans get hung up on things that don't matter sometimes. Like "This guy was a walk-on so he must not be any good".

vCash
    Didn't realize we had so many Will Rogers fans instead of MSU fans.

vCash
    Some things never change - Death. Taxes. MSU fans fascination with QB2.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    You didn't see that fascination when we had dak. Like all fanbases that have an average QB, we dream on someone better

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Some of y'all are bored.
    Last edited by HancockCountyDog; 08-17-2021 at 08:27 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    That's not fair. This is QB3 we're talking about here.

vCash
    If any of you don?t know Chance Lovertich, you will be impressed with him as a player. The kid has the ability to run this offense. He?s smart, he?s ultra competitive, he can make the reads and the passes, and he does have D1 experience. Downside?..he?s not as tall as we would prefer our QBs to be. I think we will be fine with our top 3, bc all of them have the ability to get it done.

vCash
    First off, not going to be an issue as long as Rogers stays healthy.

That said, when you consider that Leach's best QB in recent years was an East Carolina transfer with very pedestrian numbers before he got to Wazzu (not to mention a Mississippi kid that State and Ole Miss didn't want), it does seems short sighted to assume that Lovertich wouldn't be any good by default. Maybe he wouldn't, maybe he would, I don't know. But Leach does have a track record of having success with lesser known QBs.

Dak is our only QB in recent memory to not have fans clamoring for the backup, but he was a generational talent for us. I think Fitgerald probably got treated the most unfairly, yes he was limited as a passer but a sizable portion of the fanbase spent three years complaining about him all while he won a bunch of games for us and was one of the more productive QB's in our history.

vCash
    Chance Lovertich is a good QB who lacks height, which kind of resembles Minshew's problem with getting looks. Lovertich is a gamer and if my memory serves me correctly. His first loss as a starting qb including highschool wasnt until he arrived at Southern Alabama.

vCash
    Let's be honest here. Will is just holding down the job until Sawyer gets up to speed and comfortable. As soon as that happens -- could be mid-season or could be next year -- then we'll see this offense throw the ball downfield and have more explosive plays.

vCash
    I'm not super familiar with Mike Leach's offense outside of Gardner's year as Washington State and I remember bits and pieces of his year at Tech with Crabtree. The thing I noticed though when watching Washington State was that they didn't throw it down the field a whole lot. I believe his scheme is primarily little dunk passes. If someone with more knowledge could respond that would be nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman15 View Post
    I'm not super familiar with Mike Leach's offense outside of Gardner's year as Washington State and I remember bits and pieces of his year at Tech with Crabtree. The thing I noticed though when watching Washington State was that they didn't throw it down the field a whole lot. I believe his scheme is primarily little dunk passes. If someone with more knowledge could respond that would be nice.
    Here's last 4 years of his offense yds/att by leading passer...
    2020: 5.7 (100th of 100)
    2019: 8.8 (27th of 98)
    2018: 7.2 (67th of 100)
    2017: 6.7 (82nd of 100)

vCash
    So last year was a couple of yards below average, should we expect it to be much higher than 7 most years?

vCash
    Chance Lovertich is a good QB who lacks height, which kind of resembles Minshew's problem with getting looks. Lovertich is a gamer and if my memory serves me correctly. His first loss as a starting qb including highschool wasnt until he arrived at Southern Alabama.
    Not to be a prick about this, but, it is South Alabama, not Southern Alabama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Here's last 4 years of his offense yds/att by leading passer...
    2020: 5.7 (100th of 100)
    2019: 8.8 (27th of 98)
    2018: 7.2 (67th of 100)
    2017: 6.7 (82nd of 100)
    What is absolutely crazy about last year's stats is that we are started with 623 yards on 60 attempts against LSU last year. That is how bad the offense was the rest of the season, except Mizzou.

vCash
    If he has the talent, he will go down field. He does dink and dunk a lot, but that's because those take the place of the run game, not because he doesn't go deep.

vCash
    So last year was a couple of yards below average, should we expect it to be much higher than 7 most years?
    Looking at his Texas Tech and WSU stats - most years were in the 7 range with some in the 6s and very few in the 8s.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post

That said, when you consider that Leach's best QB in recent years was an East Carolina transfer with very pedestrian numbers before he got to Wazzu (not to mention a Mississippi kid that State and Ole Miss didn't want), it does seems short sighted to assume that Lovertich wouldn't be any good by default. Maybe he wouldn't, maybe he would, I don't know. But Leach does have a track record of having success with lesser known QBs.
    And Leach's next QB was Anthony Gordon, an unranked Juco QB who passed for 5,579 yards in his second season (5 total passes his first season when Minshew was starting). Gordon really was unranked as a recruit, not even a 2-star, and apparently WSU/Leach was his only offer.

https://247sports.com/Player/Anthony...ollege-197381/