Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- Bacon Snaps 20 Game Losing Streak Edition

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    I'm sure your teams never overlook and opponent.

Just as shocked you didn't have an excuse to post this late in the afternoon like last week.
    As coaches we always fight that battle. What I do with my guys that play in the Fun-N-Gun- is challenge them by talking about "stat games". We work to accomplish goals every Friday no matter who the opponent is- 40 points, 400 yards, 0 turnovers, etc. It's amazing to see kids work in a week they know they are playing an inferior opponent when you talk to them about being a 100 yard WR, 150 yard rusher, 250 yard passer, etc. Edited to add- it's ridiculous that you think we were looking past UPig because we wanted Kentucky so bad. We didnt overlook them- we got outcoached and outplayed.

In what world is 1:15pm "late afternoon"? I posted last week about 2 hours after I woke up, same today
    Last edited by Coach34; 10-04-2020 at 06:18 PM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I'm not ready to give up on KJ because I think he settles in and learns from past games but I AM READY to see some helicopter moves if that is what it takes to get a first down ... we need a G Schrader package for special situations
    ETA - meant to respond to original post
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Our run blocking is really bad. They were able to stuff our runs with just 3 linemen.
    I don't think it was our run blocking as much as it was who we had running the ball. Johnson was the better of the two but he isn't an SEC starter. Marks is just another Holloway. We apparently lack talent behind Hill. Hill would've done great vs that scheme. Any other starting RB and most of the backups we've had the last decade here (outside of maybe Shumpert and Holloway) would've had a great game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    I don't think it was our run blocking as much as it was who we had running the ball. Johnson was the better of the two but he isn't an SEC starter. Marks is just another Holloway. We apparently lack talent behind Hill. Hill would've done great vs that scheme. Any other starting RB and most of the backups we've had the last decade here (outside of maybe Shumpert and Holloway) would've had a great game.
    A few dump passes to Hill in that vacant 5 yard no man's land would have gotten Odom's attention.

vCash
    Our running backs are fine. Marks and Johnson are going to be really good. Your swinging and missing big time on Marks

vCash
    Our running backs are fine. Marks and Johnson are going to be really good. Your swinging and missing big time on Marks
    I hope so.

vCash
    So 2 true freshmen need to be All SEC in their second game ever in an MSU Jersey? What?! Yes, we lack run blocking skills on the OL, but when was the last time they actually prepared as a group in run blocking. They practice non-stop on dropping off the ball in pass protection. Give these guys more reps before you pass judgement. And Marks is not Holloway. But he's also not a 4th and 1, up the middle, with no push from the OL back. Hill would've probably danced around on that play and people like you would've said something about Hill dancing too much. There's a reason you comment on message boards and don't coach SEC caliber players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    In my mind, KJ did single handily cost us the game. Even with the other screw ups, fumbled punt, we were still in a position to tie and/or win! One clear example was in Q4, we are fourth and 2 and he under throws an open receiver downfield 10 yards to the left of the line. The guy was wide open! He makes that throw 50 times in a row and this game he can't hit the broad side of a barn. Does he play better with day games, does he have night time sight issues? I ask these questions as something was obviously WRONG! The interceptions were horrible, I don't know what he was even looking at, not the other teams player, on a couple of them.

2 games and 6 turnovers, something has got to change!
    Just had a bad game. You're inferring too much. It happens and tends to happen quite a bit with teams coming off a big win. We will beat the cats by 2 TDs this weekend.

vCash
    This quote concerns me :

?Coach Odom?s unbelievable,? said Pool, who had 20 tackles Saturday. ?... We knew what they were going to do before every play.?

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2...of-week-2.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    This quote concerns me :

?Coach Odom?s unbelievable,? said Pool, who had 20 tackles Saturday. ?... We knew what they were going to do before every play.?

Yikes. If that is true, this experiment may be short lived.

vCash
    This quote concerns me :

Not that hard to do when we only have 18-20 base plays, and 90% of them are passing plays. Gotta be super precise and execute

vCash
    This quote concerns me :

If Kentucky has the same success then I'll be concerned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Yikes. If that is true, this experiment may be short lived.
    Makes you wonder if we're tipping our plays at the LOS when KJ is relaying the play. Might need to change some of our verbiage and disguise some stuff.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Marks went down on first contact way too much. He didn’t play well. Kylin Hill not playing is a huge factor in us losing the game. It should not have come down to that, but it was a huge factor. The first drive changed immediately after he came out of the game. They would have been out of that 5 man box in the second series if Kylin played all day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Marks went down on first contact way too much. He didn’t play well. Kylin Hill not playing is a huge factor in us losing the game. It should not have come down to that, but it was a huge factor. The first drive changed immediately after he came out of the game. They would have been out of that 5 man box in the second series if Kylin played all day.
    I'm not saying Kylin coming out wasn't a big deal. It was. He's a better back than Marks and Johnson. But the poster was implying that they're not talented, that Johnson isn't an SEC player, and Marks is "Brandon Holloway." That's just completely premature considering they've played 2 college games. Marks is good in space. Johnson is tough. They're going to be really good backs for us in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Yes. Johnson was better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    So 2 true freshmen need to be All SEC in their second game ever in an MSU Jersey? What?! Yes, we lack run blocking skills on the OL, but when was the last time they actually prepared as a group in run blocking. They practice non-stop on dropping off the ball in pass protection. Give these guys more reps before you pass judgement. And Marks is not Holloway. But he's also not a 4th and 1, up the middle, with no push from the OL back. Hill would've probably danced around on that play and people like you would've said something about Hill dancing too much. There's a reason you comment on message boards and don't coach SEC caliber players.
    Where did I state they needed to be All-SEC? The run blocking isn't the glaring problem you're making it out to be especially when AR rushed 3 and dropped 8 all night. Those runs rarely got passed the LOS. I have no desire to coach but I have two eyes and as a fan I know what I saw was reminiscent of Holloway. Sorry I hurt your feelings.

vCash
    Our run blocking is really bad. They were able to stuff our runs with just 3 linemen.
    Our OL was not getting to the second level at all. Against a 3 man front. Were not even trying. Just handling the down 3 or 4.

vCash
    Ky nose tackle is a beast, better keep him in check or KJ will be having nightmares I'm afraid.

I see KY controlling the LOS running the ball, I just hope we can answer and score, I see a OM-Ky type game again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    1. I'd like to be the first to welcome many of you back to reality, but our team and your OM friends have already done that for most of you.

2. When I talked repeatedly about the Leach experiment and if it would work in the SEC, I wasnt just pulling a statement out of my ass. This is the best league in America with the best athletes. Great coaches as well. People that get open in the Pac 12 and Big Ten dont get as open in the SEC. Same with the Big 12. We have now seen 2 extremes vs Leach- M2M Blitz constantly and Rush 3 drop 8 zone. Coaches adjust. Coaches copycat others. Word spreads quickly today.

3. UPig's rush 3 drop 8 plan was copycatted from Washington. Thats the way they played against Leach every year after he beat them in his 1st year in Pullman. After Washington switched to the Rush 3 Drop 8 style against Leach- he never scored 20 against them again. 17, 13, 10, 14, 15, 13 the last 6 games. We are about to see a whole lot of it the rest of this season from teams that have better defenses than the Pigs. All UPig did all night was move their front from playing the ends wide to sliding them inside into a Tite front (404). Thats it. It wasnt rocket surgery- it was "I dare you to throw it 60 times tonight". Well, we did.

4. Hill getting hurt obviously played a major factor. He took a shot to the head and then landed hard on his head. We got away with the fumble there. It looked like he may have even been knocked out for a second. I'm sure he has to go thru concussion protocol but he didnt look bad when they showed him in the 2nd half. Not having him running the ball vs that D certainly helped UPig continue to stay in it. The other guys played ok and made some good cuts- but they arent Hill. Is Witherspoon still on the roster? He looked good for a freshman last year. Amazing he cant even get a carry this year

5. I was surprised our OL didnt take over in the 2nd half. We started being patient and ran the ball some in the 2nd Q and they were hammering their DL. Looked like we would wear them down but never did. They outplayed us in the 2nd half and we didnt even average 4 ypc. Only 1 sack in 61 pass attempts is good- but considering they only rushed 3- it's expected.

6. On the Pick 6- the WR turned his head just as KJ threw the ball, I guess to check where he was on the field. He wasnt even looking and that led to the easy pick- very similar to Fitz's 1st pick at LSU in 2018. Helluva catch by Payton on the TD. 18 catches by the RB's is too many for this offense. It means we are having to check down way too often.

7. Just as many thought, our D has been pretty good against the run. They got us early with some power read, but we adjusted. Another really good goalline stand against their goalline offense. We are doing a good job so far of confusing OL's. We slanted the DL to the short side of the field and looped a LB from the middle around the edge for a sack last night. Usually takes too long for that to work- but it worked last night. UPig made us look bad on a couple of drives but overall a solid performance on D. Franks was 20/28 though and we didnt force any turnovers. The two blown coverages on the fake screens were big. But the bottom line is the D played well enough to win

8. People got mad at me last week for saying we need to run it more. Now you all have seen why. Leach is very smart and smarter than me. But I know you have to run vs a 5 man box. You have to. There just arent that many throwing windows vs an SEC defense dropping 8. Hell, we even got a 4 man box some. We didnt play a bigtime D last night folks. That was an average SEC D. We got some folks coming up on the schedule with much better DL's than UPig. Now that the blueprint has made it's way to the SEC- I'm curious to see how many copycat DC's there are. Some guys are hardheaded like Pellini and wont change because "this is what we do" (much like Leach). But some DC's are coaching whores and will do whatever it takes.

HailState
    Yep, to all of it.