Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning to Football, some MSU RB greats list, what say you

vCash

Turning to Football, some MSU RB greats list, what say you

Here are a few catagories of RB and who I list with a few Honorable Mentions

Most explosive back - Jerious Norwood. When he decided to turn on the jets it was over. Without a few shoestring tackles, Norwood would have ran for 450 that day against Houston, he still had like 250.

Best Juke and swivel back - Decenzo Miller. Its Miller time, boy he had some wiggle as he knifed thru a D. Some great runs that showcased his open field talent like the run on UF or BYU and others.

Best overall back - Keiffer Magee, great combination of power, vision and enough speed. What could have been.
    HM - A.Dixion

Best effort back - Vick Ballard When Vick smelled the endzone he could not be denied. He never had negative yards. The corkscrew dive on Ark (minus the fumble) signified the kind of effort that was Vic.
    HM - Anthony Dixion - could put AD as co on this one too. AD willed his way to endzone a lot.

Best Bruiser Back - JJ Johnson Dude would flat truck you if you were in his path. Worst thing on D if he was going around the end he was about to plant and turn north making road kill on whatever was in his way. Love the MSU style in his time and the JWS, we are going to push you around type football. It was intimidating.
    HM - Michael Davis

Best speed to the corner - Kenny Roberts, he could bust a corner like no one especially on that option.

Hardest to bring down - Josh Robinson - bowling ball, UK run says it all. Got a co on this one. AD gets it too. That drag run on Houston was just classic AD.

Best option back - Michael Haddix. He was always in the perfect spot to get the pitch from Bond and capitalize on it.

I'm sure I've left a few key catagories and players off. What say you?

vCash
    Walter Packer!

vCash
    When he was in elementary, my nephew's favorite player was Decenzo. He and Pig were so nice to little kids on Super Dawg weekend. Have many pictures of them. My late SuperDawg Dad started carrying me to game in 63. I remember watching Hoyle Granger (maybe just on TV), Marcus Rhoden, Lewis Grubbs, Michael Davis, Kevin Bowie and others. State has had so many good RB's. Dad said the greatest college FB player he ever saw was Jackie Parker. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Walter Packer!
    He was electric!

vCash
    A back I always respected was Aries Williams. He was an incredible pass blocker, didn’t fumble, and he got positive yards even when nothing was there. Not one of our greats, but he was certainly underrated.

vCash
    Best up the middle back: Brandon Holloway
    Last edited by Matt3467; 07-06-2022 at 09:57 AM.

vCash
    Bruiser- Anthony Dixon
    Speed- Jerious Norwood
    Hardest to tackle- Michael Davis
    Most underrated- Vick Ballard & Josh Robinson
    The best that could have been- David Fair

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Best up the middle back: Bandon Holloway
    Instant Rep/

vCash
    Best Bruiser Michael Davis. JJ always reminded me of Eric Dickerson. Running upright and hitting the hole. Mike Davis made his own hole.

vCash
    He may not have been the best but JJ Johnson was my personal favorite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Bruiser- Anthony Dixon
    Speed- Jerious Norwood
    Hardest to tackle- Michael Davis
    Most underrated- Vick Ballard & Josh Robinson
    The best that could have been- David Fair
    Good list. Most under rated I'd agree Vick Ballard and add Aries Williams. I forgot about A train. He got lost in the coaching schuffle.

David Fair I agree could have been unreal. Add Keiffer Magee and maybe Dontae Walker to that list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    He may not have been the best but JJ Johnson was my personal favorite.
    Hard for me to argue this. JJ inflicted punishment on a D. The brand of football then was as good as ever at MSU.

vCash
    Best tandem backfield was Davis and Bouie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Another great catagory and good pick.

I'd also throw in Miller and Walker in 2000. Throw in Justin Griffith and a great trio.

HM - Aries and Hill, and Norwood and Turner

vCash
    Bruiser has to go to Davis. His Egg Bowl game was a masterpiece
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Have to throw out another HM to that tight end who could also run and throw just a little. That run against LSU where he stiff armed that poor DB so hard he bounced off the turf was a thing of beauty. I really thought he had some talent. Wonder whatever happened to...what was his name again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Walter Packer!
    Exactly—Ode Burrell and Hoyle Granger—Hoyle only Dog to rush for 1000 yards in Pro ball.. what about WAyne Jones?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Bruiser has to go to Davis. His Egg Bowl game was a masterpiece
    Hoyle Granger

vCash
    FYI the only 2 Rbs to ever make All Star game—both with the Oilers—-Ode Burrell and Hoyle Granger

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Absolutely. And so much fun to watch.