Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT - Bulldog Deli

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Why do places like Oby's and Bulldog Deli go out of business? They seemed to be really popular with the students, and from the one time that I was at the Deli, it was really good.
    Oby's went out of business?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HotMop View Post
    Not sure. I assumed so based on Posts 12 & 13 in this thread since they're in past tense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HotMop View Post
    Not sure. I assumed so based on Posts 12 & 13 in this thread since they're in past tense.
    Obys is alive and well. Still good food and always packed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bull View Post
    Obys was my favorite in Vegas for a long long time.
    The shrimp poboy was my Obys go to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    The original Sweet Peppers.
    The original both.... peppers would never have been had Robin fant- original owner of bulldog deli not walked away from
    McAlister's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    They'd take two giant potatoes cut about 1/5th of the ends off and stick them together and then load it full of ham, turkey, bacon, cheese, olives, sour cream and chives.
    Now known as the spud max at McAllisters

Banned
    vCash
    What'd they do with the center 3/5 of the potato?
    The middle 4/5ths of both potatoes are pushed together and sliced down the middle. Then you open up the two potatoes made into one giant potato and it creates a bowl where you stuff all the goodies. Pop it in the steamer for 1:00 so the cheese melts. Shit is delicious. The two ends of the potatoes are thrown out. Probably could keep them and make a bomb ass loaded potato soup with them but when the line is out the door with hungover hungry college kids it and you got college kids making the food it's just not really feasible that the cooks will save the ends of the potatoes.

Why do places like Oby's and Bulldog Deli go out of business? They seemed to be really popular with the students, and from the one time that I was at the Deli, it was really good.
    I doubt it went out of business because of lack of sales. More likely is the owner gets tired of having to be married to the restaurant 365 days outta the year and just wants some freedom from it. Go 20+ years in a row with constantly having to think about a restaurant can get tired for anyone.

vCash
    Never mind

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    The middle 4/5ths of both potatoes are pushed together and sliced down the middle. Then you open up the two potatoes made into one giant potato and it creates a bowl where you stuff all the goodies. Pop it in the steamer for 1:00 so the cheese melts. Shit is delicious. The two ends of the potatoes are thrown out. Probably could keep them and make a bomb ass loaded potato soup with them but when the line is out the door with hungover hungry college kids it and you got college kids making the food it's just not really feasible that the cooks will save the ends of the potatoes.

I doubt it went out of business because of lack of sales. More likely is the owner gets tired of having to be married to the restaurant 365 days outta the year and just wants some freedom from it. Go 20+ years in a row with constantly having to think about a restaurant can get tired for anyone.
    I have friends who own a restaurant and this is exactly the case. They were coming to every football game while he was helping run his family's restaurant but now that they opened their own we only see them when we go there to eat. They love it but they both had worked in restaurants almost their entire life so they knew what they were getting into.