Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Put a % on it: Rick Ray takes State to the Sweet 16

vCash
    Our offensive problems are much more about our lack of shooting than Ray's design. We reversed the ball on Saturday against the zone to Houston and he found the seam to penetrate- getting a great look from 8 feet out on the wing. Then he proceeded to not even touch the rim on his shot. Nothing any coach can do on that. And yes people- Ray is responsible for recruiting the guys that dont shoot well.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    What about David Dominque (sp). He gave Shaquille hell
    Domingue (yeah I cant spell it either) set the best screen Ive ever seen vs UPig. Separated their PG's shoulder. We counted him out laying on the floor and Nolan Richardson went nuts. Good times my man, good times
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If black, ndoye, and Houston were forced to play as many mins as ware, sword, and fred did as freshmen, I'm sure the new group would have similar numbers as the older group did as freshmen.

I like Houston and black's potential, but ray needs to get more game ready players. I think he's done that with tookie and weatherspoon. Ray has picked it up even more with hicks and Simonds. If Ray could pull off keglar (doubtful), the '16 class could be our best class ever. Even if Ray pulls hughes instead of keglar, it'd be a very good class
    I totally disagree with that. Sword, Thomas and Ware were all more naturally talented scorers out of HS than Black, Houston and Ndoye. I would think that is pretty obvious. Hopefully some of the new guys become better scorers but they aren't anywhere near that right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I totally disagree with that. Sword, Thomas and Ware were all more naturally talented scorers out of HS than Black, Houston and Ndoye. I would think that is pretty obvious. Hopefully some of the new guys become better scorers but they aren't anywhere near that right now.
    Sword was a good scorer his freshman year.

While fred scored as a freshman, his shooting % was bad. If Houston got to shoot as much as fred did as a freshman, then he'd score too. Houston doesn't get the leeway that fred did. We had no choice but to play Fred then though.

Ware had tremendous potential as a freshman, but he was in really bad shape. Black has great potential too, but we can't allow him learn on the court like we did with ware. If black got the mins that ware got as a freshman, their numbers would be very similar imo.

You're probably right about ndoye on 2nd thought

vCash

So, you're saying there's a chance??????

nt
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    I think Houston would prettymuch be a FR version of Sword if turned loose... Can't shoot at all, but realizes it relatively quickly and just out athletes people to the rim. Black is behind where Ware was as a freshman -- but is certainly ahead of where Roquez was. Black is as good defensively now that Ware has ever been IMO...

Man, I really wish Tookie as 3" taller... IMO, we're bringing in another shooting guard in this class. Hopefully one that can actually shoot...
    Last edited by engie; 02-18-2015 at 08:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    I think Houston would prettymuch be a FR version of Sword if turned loose... Can't shoot at all, but realizes it relatively quickly and just out athletes people to the rim. Black is behind where Ware was as a freshman -- but is certainly ahead of where Roquez was. Black is as good defensively now that Ware has ever been IMO...

Man, I really wish Tookie as 3" taller... IMO, we're bringing in another shooting guard in this class. Hopefully one that can actually shoot...
    We're still recruiting a juco sg that I can never remember his name. (Someone help me) Do we have a legitimate shot with him?

Anyone know what ray thinks about dunlap's future? Is he gonna be a guy that can take a team out of a zone?

Tookie is short, but from what i hear he's a lot thicker than ready. Hopefully being heavier will allow him to hold up better
    Last edited by msstate7; 02-18-2015 at 08:34 PM.

vCash
    I think the JUCO SG got a Louisville offer recently... So, it would be a really tough pull...

No idea on Dunlap. Wait and see....

To me, it's not about Tookie vs Ready, but Tookie vs Bloodman, which should be an offensive upgrade. I just want someone that isn't a defensive liability at the position. Neither has prototypical size, but if Tookie can D up, that'll be fine by me...

ETA: Where is Thaddeus Hall now? He was a freshman 2-3 combo goard that was actually the leading scorer for Jones CC's title team last year. Was teammates with Zuppardo. Not really a sharpshooter though...
    Last edited by engie; 02-18-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Domingue (yeah I cant spell it either) set the best screen Ive ever seen vs UPig. Separated their PG's shoulder. We counted him out laying on the floor and Nolan Richardson went nuts. Good times my man, good times
    Yep I was at that game. Happened near half court. He's one of my all time favorite bball players. Russell Walters had a couple brutal picks too, as well as Brandon Vincent.
    Last edited by Ralph; 02-19-2015 at 01:28 AM.

vCash
    I was as well. Called on Walmart the next week, and had to explain that I wasn't the one that made that pick at midcourt. lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    I think the JUCO SG got a Louisville offer recently... So, it would be a really tough pull...

No idea on Dunlap. Wait and see....

To me, it's not about Tookie vs Ready, but Tookie vs Bloodman, which should be an offensive upgrade. I just want someone that isn't a defensive liability at the position. Neither has prototypical size, but if Tookie can D up, that'll be fine by me...

ETA: Where is Thaddeus Hall now? He was a freshman 2-3 combo goard that was actually the leading scorer for Jones CC's title team last year. Was teammates with Zuppardo. Not really a sharpshooter though...
    Hall on 247 shows offers from us, Dayton, Baylor, miami, Iowa, usm, Texas, USCe, St. John's, Texas tech, and West Virginia. Not sure how many of those are real

vCash
    so... in effect, we've concluded that there was a decent chance Rick Ray could've made the NIT without injuries, but most of the % guesses for a sweet sixteen we're hovering somewhere around 0% or a high of "slightly better than Stans."