Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta State Financial Troubles - Interesting Read...

vCash
    Some teachers genuinely work hard and some don’t. Now, if I tell you some people at Lowe’s work hard and some don’t you would agree with that. Shouldn’t be any different with teachers, but some people are very defensive over them. Yes they have a hard job. I completely agree, but we live in a free market. You choose your profession.
    Last edited by Brobi-wan; 05-15-2024 at 09:41 AM.

vCash
    The cost of college these days (and has been for 10+ years when my boys were at MSU) is an issue that is also IMHO driving attendance low. Look at the following cost breakdown for MSU Yearly Tuition for Fall & Spring Semesters.

In-State Tuition & Fees $9,815
    Housing and Meal Plan* $12,293
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Total for In-State $22,108

Don't you think this is a wee bit out of the reach for the average household? It would be near impossible for a (full-time) student to be able to work their way through college - assuming a decent major (not underwater basketweaving). They would be forced to take out a student loan if mom and dad could not afford to send them.

Side Note: the cost of room is insane as they build these 5-star resort like dorms. Smith Hall and Suttle Hall were the dorms I stayed in as a student, but they have been torn down years ago in favor of these 5-star retreats!

Contrast with 1970s costs (from memory here, I forget exact amounts): $280 per semester for tuition, $380 per semester for room and meals around $1100 = $1760 per semester or $3,520 per year. Add in another $150 per semester for books and supplies and you get $3820 per year. This was doable even with a minimum wage job of $2.50 /hr.

College was supposed to be a place where you went to get an education, not to be pampered! Let's not even get started on how pampered the student athletes are these days compared to when I was in college (1976-1980).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    Smith Hall and Suttle Hall were the dorms I stayed in as a student
    I lived in Suttle for 2.5 years of undergrad! Top floor, RA suite.

I remember being fond of the tap water at Suttle, too...the rusty pipes gave it a nice minerally flavor, lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I lived in Suttle for 2.5 years of undergrad! Top floor, RA suite.

I remember being fond of the tap water at Suttle, too...the rusty pipes gave it a nice minerally flavor, lol.
    Were you there in 1977 when the freshmen (from the boomerang dorms - Smith, Hightower, Duggar and??) started a war with the upperclassmen in Suttle? Bottle rockets, cherry bombs, charcoal brackets being shot from a sling shot and other items were hurled back and forth. The campus police just sat on top of hernia hill and watched. They did not get involved. I think it lasted for a day or two - oh the times!!

vCash
    Were you there in 1977 when the freshmen (from the boomerang dorms - Smith, Hightower, Duggar and??) started a war with the upperclassmen in Suttle? Bottle rockets, cherry bombs, charcoal brackets being shot from a sling shot and other items were hurled back and forth. The campus police just sat on top of hernia hill and watched. They did not get involved. I think it lasted for a day or two - oh the times!!
    I was in Suttle starting the second semester of my freshman year (2004), so the pipes were a little rustier than they were back in '77

vCash
    I was in Duggar in 1977 but don't remember that. It was a few years ago however so that doesn't surprise me. Was that fourth dorm Critz?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Istvan Teleky View Post
    https://www.deltastate.edu/PDFFiles/...bility.pdf.pdf

I doubt anybody will want to read all fifteen pages of this, but three things stick out to me.

One - The President of Delta State. I think he is showing leadership. He's been on the job one year and is making difficult choices instead of kicking the can down the road. Budgeting for a surplus to establish a rainy day fund takes some balls, especially when people are getting laid off. Hope they don't give him a vote of no confidence
    I don't know how good the plan is, but it's encouraging that he even is willing to present a plan like this as a new president. Delta State has selective appeal and is definitely at risk going forward. Having questions about their sustainability isn't going to help, so cutting to get on sound financial footing now is a good idea. Also probably not a terrible deal for the people being let go. They're going to face a tough job market, but nothing like what it will probably look like in 5 years, when there will be five more years of closures and laid off workers to compete with.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Istvan Teleky View Post
    The President of Delta State. I think he is showing leadership. He's been on the job one year and is making difficult choices instead of kicking the can down the road. Budgeting for a surplus to establish a rainy day fund takes some balls, especially when people are getting laid off. Hope they don't give him a vote of no confidence
    It's a shame that we don't have someone running for President of the US that has leadership and will pass a common sense budget.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    Folks can't afford to rear kids and pay 8% mortgage interest, higher costs for daily necessities............We all know why
    We do? Please enlighten me...
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    It's a shame that we don't have someone running for President of the US that has leadership and will pass a common sense budget.
    I don't know if the DSU president will get fired. We pretty much know that if a president tried to be responsible first he'd probably be unsuccessful because too many people in the legislative branch take money from people who want irresponsible spending (or at least don't want the irresponsible spending benefiting them cut) and if he somehow managed to use his veto power to force a reasoanble budget, he'd get pilloried by the press and enough people would turn on him fast enough that he'd be a one term president.

Look how long Argentina had to be a basketcase before their politics would allow a sensible politician. Don't think we're there yet. Maybe if you could convince boomers that it was going to hit the fan before they finished bleeding youngsters dry with medicare and social security, you could get responsibility without some serious pain first.

vCash
    I think people also need to realize that a lot of college tuition hikes are the result of state and federal governments no longer subsidizing the cost of education.

When my parents were college-age (in the 60s), Mississippi fully funded JUCO tuition for every student. Going to Hinds Community College, for example, was free.

When I was starting out in the mid-90s, It was still cheap because the state funded a goodly portion of it. That ratio has dropped significantly over the years, going from 75% in the 90s to 25% today.

You want to know why students are being gouged now? That's it. If you want cheaper tuition you need to make sure the politicians are funding it.

vCash
    Another thing that would obviously help higher ed, is investing at the juco level for vocational degrees and certificate options at the 4 year institutions. They do this in Europe, but our lack of it (or inconsistentcy) in the States is a travesty.

And again...reduce emphasis on the humanities. Humanities are OBV an important part of the collegiate experience (well rounded, etc. etc.), but too many degrees from those programs are dead ends with nothing but a mountain of debt as a consolation. Schools participating in that racket is inexcusable. Thankfully, many places are starting to address this, but it's gonna be a long road....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    but too many degrees from those programs are dead ends with nothing but a mountain of debt as a consolation. Schools participating in that racket is inexcusable. Thankfully, many places are starting to address this, but it's gonna be a long road....
    The entire student loan process needs to be revamped.

1. Limit loans to say 1/4-1/2 the tuition/fees of an in state pubic school and/or tie loan amounts to the average earnings of the major. Someone majoring in Civil Engineering would be able to get more loans than some majoring in education.
    2. The federal gub'mint needs to get out of the business of backing the loans. Make the loans bankrupt-able.
    3. Neither of the above will ever happen, but it is what is needed.

vCash
    This is one reason I don't much stock anymore into someone being a college athlete. I know for a fact there are many small colleges that will put you on a JV baseball or basketball team if you pay full tuition (desperate for money). It's literally just pay for play. When I grew up the best players, and only the best, moved on to play college, including small college ball. Now there are kids playing "college" that barely made their high school team and rarely played.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    I think people also need to realize that a lot of college tuition hikes are the result of state and federal governments no longer subsidizing the cost of education.

When my parents were college-age (in the 60s), Mississippi fully funded JUCO tuition for every student. Going to Hinds Community College, for example, was free.

When I was starting out in the mid-90s, It was still cheap because the state funded a goodly portion of it. That ratio has dropped significantly over the years, going from 75% in the 90s to 25% today.

You want to know why students are being gouged now? That's it. If you want cheaper tuition you need to make sure the politicians are funding it.
    Really don't need to further subsidize it though. The people that should be at college generally are going to be well off. If there are particular professions we need to encourage, we can give grants for each number of years worked. So for teachers, maybe the first 10 years you get supplemental pay equal to what it would take to pay off state tuition plus a reasonable interest rate over 10 years. Between social security, medicare, and subsidized student loans and loan forgiveness, we send way too much money to affluent people on the backs of the non-affluent.

But if you stop paying 25% for a lot of students that shouldn't be there, and stop the arms race on amenities by increasing loan money available to pay for it, you'd have enough money to cover much more of the cost for the students that are there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Really don't need to further subsidize it though. The people that should be at college generally are going to be well off. If there are particular professions we need to encourage, we can give grants for each number of years worked. So for teachers, maybe the first 10 years you get supplemental pay equal to what it would take to pay off state tuition plus a reasonable interest rate over 10 years. Between social security, medicare, and subsidized student loans and loan forgiveness, we send way too much money to affluent people on the backs of the non-affluent.

But if you stop paying 25% for a lot of students that shouldn't be there, and stop the arms race on amenities by increasing loan money available to pay for it, you'd have enough money to cover much more of the cost for the students that are there.
    I'll never, ever understand the position that education at any level shouldn't be fully funded in a way that makes it free for all. Doesn't matter if it is a trade school or a PhD. Doesn't matter if you have no money or are the richest family in the country. The benefits of educating our society as whole far outweigh the negatives. We are the richest country in the world and work continually to keep our population fat, drunk, and stupid.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post

I think that subsidizing education is the best thing the state government can do for its citizens. And failing to do so actually punishes the poorest kids in our state more than the wealthiest. Even Federal Aid grants don't cover nearly enough and poor kids have to get up to their eyeballs in debt to attend and graduate college.

I guess I don't really understand what you are saying: "Between social security, medicare, and subsidized student loans and loan forgiveness, we send way too much money to affluent people on the backs of the non-affluent." All of these programs are supposed to help non-affluent people maintain a decent standard of living, and social security pays out to a scale of what you put in over your working career. If anything it's the reverse - the wealthiest pay more in taxes that go in part to support the poorest.

Student loans are predatory. I don't think that we should bail out people who took them on, but they are structured more like the rip-off loans you'd see from department stores back in the day vs. an actual bank loan of X years. I have friends who have been making payments for 20+ years and still owe money. That's like a credit card, not a car loan, and the structure of these loans need to be reworked.

I'd like for MSU to explore the feasibility of using the endowment to waive tuition costs for incoming students (based solely on economic need and NOTHING ELSE) to help offset the mindset of our Legislature and Governor who treat every expenditure like it was endorsed by Satan himself.