Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Standard? Interesting

vCash

State Standard? Interesting

With a sweep of Mizzou this weekend- State would finish with 18 or more conference wins for only the 5th time in the last 25 years. It would also give Lemon 3 of those 5 seasons

In those 25 seasons- State has finished with 15 or less conference wins 14 times
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I thought that was interesting stat when I read it, but it's a bit of a cherry picked stat. All 4 times have come in the last 10 years. Cohen had 2(14 and 16) and Lemonis had 2(19 and 21). When you space it out 25 years it looks really good. But when you look at the numbers it's still impressive, just not as impressive:

14: 18-12 (also: 18 conference wins and we didn't host. Something to monitor)
    15: 8-22
    16: 21-9
    17: 17-13
    18: 15-15
    19: 20-10
    21: 20-10
    22: 9-21
    23: 9-21

So we're right about on average for what we've been winning if you take out Cohen's bad year and Lemonis 2 bad years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    With a sweep of Mizzou this weekend- State would finish with 18 or more conference wins for only the 5th time in the last 25 years. It would also give Lemon 3 of those 5 seasons

In those 25 seasons- State has finished with 15 or less conference wins 14 times
    Fur Lemonheadjuice!

vCash
    On the flip side:

Candy is about to have their 2nd losing season in conference in 3 seasons and their only 2 since 2009. NIL starts? Candy starts dropping

vCash
    On the flip side:

Candy is about to have their 2nd losing season in conference in 3 seasons and their only 2 since 2009. NIL starts? Candy starts dropping
    Some predicted that, but I really didn't think their fall would be this sharp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Some predicted that, but I really didn't think their fall would be this sharp.
    It is still not sharp enough for me. Keep falling 'Dores.

vCash
    I thought that was interesting stat when I read it, but it's a bit of a cherry picked stat. All 4 times have come in the last 10 years. Cohen had 2(14 and 16) and Lemonis had 2(19 and 21). When you space it out 25 years it looks really good. But when you look at the numbers it's still impressive, just not as impressive:

So we're right about on average for what we've been winning if you take out Cohen's bad year and Lemonis 2 bad years.
    Well, I guess if you think the State Standard should be based on the SEC Regular Season Record you have a minor point. Now a days when an SEC team is a) guaranteed a Regional berth and b) often locked up a regional host, many of them don't give a rip about the SEC tourney either. I believe State got 7 inning run ruled in both their most recent SEC tourney games, yet won the NC that same year. Now how many Regionals had State played in from 1990 to 2021? How many were as a Host? How many were as a 2 seed or higher? There is you "Standard". National perception of State is as a very Solid to High end program!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Well, I guess if you think the State Standard should be based on the SEC Regular Season Record you have a minor point. Now a days when an SEC team is a) guaranteed a Regional berth and b) often locked up a regional host, many of them don't give a rip about the SEC tourney either. I believe State got 7 inning run ruled in both their most recent SEC tourney games, yet won the NC that same year. Now how many Regionals had State played in from 1990 to 2021? How many were as a Host? How many were as a 2 seed or higher? There is you "Standard". National perception of State is as a very Solid to High end program!
    As is the national perception of College World Series Title Winning Head Coach Christoph Lemons. So get over your hatred of him.. He's here to stay!!

However, it is funny how guys like you keep shifting the standard. So now, regular season doesn't matter yet teams like TN, Florida, Vandy etc are consistently at the top of the SEC AND have the same or better success in regional play. So which is it? MSU can't be the SEC's best when yall State standard folk arbitrarily leave out part of baseball history.
    Last edited by RockyDog; 05-15-2024 at 08:16 AM.

Banned
    vCash
    I'm all with you. The deal with Lemo to me is he was handed the keys to a Jet and has turned it into a twin engine cessna

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Well, we had posters around here earlier in the season talking about the "State standard" this season and how Lemon wasnt living up to it this year- sooooooo you have to assume they were including the regular season. Now I see you guys have moved the goalposts again. It's ok. I'll keep kicking the ball thru them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    I'm all with you. The deal with Lemo to me is he was handed the keys to a Jet and has turned it into a twin engine cessna
    his cessna has something Ron Polk/John Cohen and rest will never have- a National Championship

vCash

I would have never guessed the OP would include cherry picked stats ***
    Good stuff SVSteve, always appreciate your measured approach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    U r serious? Lemons has TWO of MSU's SIX total 50 win seasons. And a NATTY. . I mean by god, Cohen had 3 LOSING seasons out of his 8 total. How exactly has Lemons driven the program into the ditch? Some of yall are crazy delusional.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    I would have never guessed the OP would include cherry picked stats ***
    Good stuff SVSteve, always appreciate your measured approach.
    whether my post had cherries on it or not- its still correct

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyDog View Post
    As is the national perception of College World Series Title Winning Head Coach Christoph Lemons. So get over your hatred of him.. He's here to stay!!

However, it is funny how guys like you keep shifting the standard. So now, regular season doesn't matter yet teams like TN, Florida, Vandy etc are consistently at the top of the SEC AND have the same or better success in regional play. So which is it? MSU can't be the SEC's best when yall State standard folk arbitrarily leave out part of baseball history.
    I don't "hate" anyone. I just will not "forgive" season 22-23 which were coached by Lemonis. I don't think Cohen was a very good coach either. And Polk should have never been hired the second time around. But I don't hate them. I "LOVE" MSU. The University and the Athletics programs are bigger than any Coach, especially one who can't recruit in the new era of college athletics! But let's see what kind of class Lemonis brings in after He leads this year's team to the second National Championship.

vCash
    whether my post had cherries on it or not- its still correct
    I actually wasn't trying to disprove you. I was just adding context to it. I think it shows how impressive Lemonis has been. He's only been here 6 years, 5 conference season, and may be about to do something that no other State coach has done

vCash
    "State Standard" has always been based in the post-season to me. Our 2018 team is a sterling example of that. A .500 conference record that leads to a CWS appearance? Yeah I'll take that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    "State Standard" has always been based in the post-season to me. Our 2018 team is a sterling example of that. A .500 conference record that leads to a CWS appearance? Yeah I'll take that.
    Agree 100% and it's the way I've always looked at it. I bet more people on here can name the years and how many cws we've been too as opposed to conference championships

vCash
    I agree completely that it’s about the overall season. That’s why I couldn’t understand the State standard posts halfway thru the season. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised considering Elitedawgs has fired Lemon 3 times this season already

vCash
    He had two elite years.
    He then drove it in the ditch and had two horrible years.
    He's now pulled it out of the ditch and has a chance to have anywhere from an average to elite year.
    That's where we are.

Some people are so tired to their narrative, on both sides of the argument, that they won't admit that.