Thread: For all you "NIL IS GOING TO KILL US" folks

vCash

For all you "NIL IS GOING TO KILL US" folks

https://www.nola.com/sports/lsu/lsu-...rce=the-latest

LSU only allocated $4MM to football NIL last year. They're going to fall short of their $8MM goal this year.
    Their strategy is HS recruiting, develop, retain.

vCash
    All these guys just need to fall under a 4 year contract and be done with it. Get 4 years guaranteed unless they quit. They can't transfer unless released or if they want to drop a level. Basically, what it used to be only they are getting paid above the table.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    All these guys just need to fall under a 4 year contract and be done with it. Get 4 years guaranteed unless they quit. They can't transfer unless released or if they want to drop a level. Basically, what it used to be only they are getting paid above the table.
    I would love to see how NIL contracts are constructed. I'm assuming they are paid weekly or monthly and they back loaded to the extent possible. Are these contacts one year/season or multi year.

I remember reading about a "go between" between boosters and players. He always said to give them as little money as possible up front and to give it out in as small as amounts as possible, make them come to you when they needed something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    I would love to see how NIL contracts are constructed. I'm assuming they are paid weekly or monthly and they back loaded to the extent possible. Are these contacts one year/season or multi year.

I remember reading about a "go between" between boosters and players. He always said to give them as little money as possible up front and to give it out in as small as amounts as possible, make them come to you when they needed something.
    All our NIL payments are monthly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    If someone wants to sign a 4 year contract and you think they're worth it then yea, sign one. I would personally put them on 1 to 2 year contracts. I mean what if someone's game goes to hell or they get injured. I don't want to be paying them for 4 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    If someone wants to sign a 4 year contract and you think they're worth it then yea, sign one. I would personally put them on 1 to 2 year contracts. I mean what if someone's game goes to hell or they get injured. I don't want to be paying them for 4 years.
    And then you have a free agent every year. Can't have it both ways. We either get locked up with a player and they transfer down for playing time or you are stuck with them for 4 years. On the flip side, you get Dak Prescott for 4 years instead of 1-2 and then getting out priced.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post

LSU only allocated $4MM to football NIL last year. They're going to fall short of their $8MM goal this year.
    What was our allocation to football last year?

vCash
    All our NIL payments are monthly.
    So are the contracts one year? Or one season?

Players who jumped in the portal immediately after spring practice, if they were under a NIL contract, how do they get out of the contract?

vCash
    So are the contracts one year? Or one season?

Players who jumped in the portal immediately after spring practice, if they were under a NIL contract, how do they get out of the contract?
    The contracts are one year. If a player gets into the portal after spring practice then the payments stop. There's language written into the one's with Initiatives or Collectives that stop payments once a player enters the portal. Outside NIL deals they accrue on their own would continue afterwards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgface View Post
    What was our allocation to football last year?
    Somewhere between 500-1.2. It's well over that this year. In the 2-3 range.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post

Can we really say NIL has helped us?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    Helped with a few. Hurt with a few.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    It hasn't, but it's changed nothing except kids can leave freely now. It hasn't changed recruiting much at all. If the scholarship reductions happen as expected, that levels the field some too. You have to build your team to a point and then go all in on NIL money to get over the top. Look at OM, because we're following that same plan.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 05-14-2024 at 01:56 PM.

vCash
    The contracts are one year. If a player gets into the portal after spring practice then the payments stop. There's language written into the one's with Initiatives or Collectives that stop payments once a player enters the portal. Outside NIL deals they accrue on their own would continue afterwards.
    I think i got it, the contracts can't be tied to continued enrollment at a particular school?

If that's be case, eventually are we headed to a place where the contact is with the school and not the collective?

vCash
    I think i got it, the contracts can't be tied to continued enrollment at a particular school?

If that's be case, eventually are we headed to a place where the contact is with the school and not the collective?
    Which is what needs to happen. That way the onus is off the fans to keep funding this. Obviously that doesn't mean we, as State fans, need to wait around for that to happen but it needs to happen sooner rather than later. A lot of schools, not just ours, are going to lose a generation of fans because schools are asking for donations and collectives are asking for donations. Most people can't continue to donate what they are donating to the school and kick in money to NIL, or vice versa.

vCash
    Which is what needs to happen. That way the onus is off the fans to keep funding this. Obviously that doesn't mean we, as State fans, need to wait around for that to happen but it needs to happen sooner rather than later. A lot of schools, not just ours, are going to lose a generation of fans because schools are asking for donations and collectives are asking for donations. Most people can't continue to donate what they are donating to the school and kick in money to NIL, or vice versa.
    So in your scenario, would the Bulldog Club take over NIL?

vCash
    So in your scenario, would the Bulldog Club take over NIL?
    In a way. I would bring in Charlie and his team to run the Bulldog Club.

vCash
    In a way. I would bring in Charlie and his team to run the Bulldog Club.
    I bet there's several cushy, decent paying positions in the BC.

vCash
    I bet there's several cushy, decent paying positions in the BC.
    That's one of the dept that Selmon is "trimming the fat".