Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else catch Bounds' topic for discussion this morning?

vCash

Anybody else catch Bounds' topic for discussion this morning?

Involving the need to completely "re-boot, re-build & re-brand" the LFL. I didn't hear any caller responses to it so I don't know exactly how it was received. I did catch a few tweets he got that were generally in agreement. His opinion is that it needs a complete re-do with the ante being upped of course. No doubt some modifications need to be implemented, at a minimum, but an entire overhaul could get costly. If it becomes enough of an expense to cut into what will be done with the overall stadium project, I would rather focus on having the best main grandstand area possible with some more pressing alterations in the outfield made and then phase in the rest of an overall outfield master plan later. I could see a large sum invested out there that, in conjunction with a new stadium structure, would make the entire venue untouchable by anyone else for a while. Now, I don't think it needs to be "re-branded" as Bo put it, but certainly "re-booted".

vCash
    I needs to be re-booted when we build a new stadium. It needs some creativity and permanent structures.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    I needs to be re-booted when we build a new stadium. It needs some creativity and permanent structures.
    I strongly disagree.

It does need some updating from a safety standpoint but not from creativity and I don't think they should be permanent as that means they are owned by the university instead.

Yes the prices needed to be raised and that will cause a lot of backlash but leave it how it is generally.

vCash

Hobie gonna hunt y'all done if u mess w LFL or Dudy Gras....

Along with a bunch of other folks.

Seriously though, the Left Field Lounge is our thing. It may can be tweeked and get a little more organized and some better built contraptions but a complete overhaul would ruin what the LFL is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    I strongly disagree.

It does need some updating from a safety standpoint but not from creativity and I don't think they should be permanent as that means they are owned by the university instead.

Yes the prices needed to be raised and that will cause a lot of backlash but leave it how it is generally.
    I was there recently, and I have to admit that some of the structures look like they need to tear down. There was one where I watched a fairly large woman walk up and I really thought the structure was going to go. There is so much of the LFL that I want to keep, but I really think making some of these structures safer wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    I was there recently, and I have to admit that some of the structures look like they need to tear down. There was one where I watched a fairly large woman walk up and I really thought the structure was going to go. There is so much of the LFL that I want to keep, but I really think making some of these structures safer wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I strongly agree with that. There does need to be some sort of certification of safety and standards but doesn't put the school liable (if that's possible)
    Things can still look like sanford and son built them but be "safe".

vCash
    Change is coming to LFL...
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    No entity in the USA should allow their customers to build their own structures. That is an open & shut lawsuit waiting to happen. That is an unfortunate fact. And another reason to hate Ole Miss (we drive tractors, they sue people).

The LFL needs to be and is going to be replaced with something permanent. I use the word "creativity" to imply MSU needs to allow the LFL to continue being the unique thing that it is today.

Homemade lumber structures is not what makes the LFL. It can be done with permanent structures. Something that still allows grilling, drinking, walking around, etc. And it can still be made unique and character-rich.

I predict MSU builds open air spaces with sections of chairbacks or bleachers (or both) in different configurations going around the outfield. It definitely won't be cookie-cutter from space to space around the outfield fence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whosyourdawgy View Post
    Along with a bunch of other folks.

Seriously though, the Left Field Lounge is our thing. It may can be tweeked and get a little more organized and some better built contraptions but a complete overhaul would ruin what the LFL is.
    What I envision is more of a tweaking but would entail a pretty good overhaul. The last two years there has been a TON of bickering about spots getting moved, rigs designed to go in a particular "spot" being moved where noone can see. I believe it would make sense to have the whole outfield level tiered, with spots laid out and organized. You would still bring YOUR trailer in there customized to your preferences, but it would have to meet certain criteria. You could sell more spaces if they were laid out properly, and potentially add a third row if the tier is built so the structure doesn't have to be 40 feet high.

Also, the rates could stand to be raised, but not to skybox prices by any means.

vCash
    I don't know what their inspection criteria was but they inspected rigs this spring and if yours didn't meet their standard, it got red-tagged and no one was allowed on it until it passed inspection. Also, if anyone has been out there since the Vandy series, you'll see that everyone had to put up the orange construction netting provided by MSU like under pinning on your rig. If you didn't do that, you also got red-tagged.

Instead of raising prices for spots out there, I would require that in order to keep you spot, each rig should be responsible for purchasing at least 4 (maybe 6) season tickets and, since we now scan tickets and can track their use, I would also require a certain percentage of usage on those tickets. If you don't purchase the minimum number of season tickets or if your attendance falls off, you lose your spot. To me, this would not only bring in more money in season ticket sales but would also guarantee that you wouldn't see any empty rigs out there. There are some out there now that rarely have people on them except for SBW and regional play. That would change if there was a threat that someone was going to take their place next year. It would also open up the possibility that someone that does not currently have a spot out there could get one which at the moment is impossible and I think that is what is really the driving force behind all of the 'change' we're hearing about.

vCash
    No entity in the USA should allow their customers to build their own structures. That is an open & shut lawsuit waiting to happen. That is an unfortunate fact. And another reason to hate Ole Miss (we drive tractors, they sue people).
    First of all, it's not open and shut. These are portable structures that are removed after each baseball season. The university doesn't take responsibility for RV's or tailgates on campus, so it's not open and shut that they have a duty to sign off on the LFL trailers that are only accessible to owners and invited guests. If somebody not on the trailers was somehow hurt by one falling, that'd probably be pretty close to open and shut.

Regardless, it's pretty easy to protect against. Require that the owners of each LFL trailer provide a few million in liability coverage with the university named as additional insured. Maybe also require that an architect or civil engineer sign off on the design and integrity of the structure.

This would add some expense to the LFL owners and you might see the architect/engineer/insurer impose requirements that do away with a lot of the uniqueness of the trailers, but it would basically completely shield the university.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner View Post
    I would also require a certain percentage of usage on those tickets.
    This is the big deal to me. I don't want to maximize the direct monetary value of the LFL to MSU. I think we get more value from it by it being recognized as unique and creating a great atmosphere. But it only creates a great atmosphere if people are in the LFL.

If we sold spots based on donations, we'd end up with a LFL that was full of nicer trailers that probably weren't used as often. I'd much rather price the spots moderately (say $1000 per season) but require that they be used for most games. If you can't go, make sure somebody local that likes to go has access to the trailer and uses it.

Banned
    vCash
    the LFL is a HUGE part of what makes DNF so special and "the greatest college baseball atmosphere in America". I am all for the grandstand being completely redone or anything else they want to do with the stadium but the Lounge needs to be left alone. The ONLY thing I would even halfway support doing in the Lounge is some safety upgrades. I also don't want to price out some of the awesome fans who make up the Lounge. A slight increase is fine but nothing drastic. I love DNF and hope it always keeps its greatness no matter what is done but I love that we are "Known" for our great atmosphere and I fear that a complete overhaul is going to hinder that atmosphere. Upgrade the grandstand, even redesign it, but keep the lounge as close as possible to what it is now. just my two cents which aint even worth that.

vCash
    Is it still $250 for a spot?

vCash
    You are wrong.

But, whatever.

vCash
    It's 2014.

We need to build some permanent structures in LF for groups to rent each season for about 1,500-2K per season. Old Timers get first crack. People can still bring grills and whatnot. RF needs to be a student section. That part is not hard.

What is hard is to figure out how to do it properly.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    I strongly agree with that. There does need to be some sort of certification of safety and standards but doesn't put the school liable (if that's possible)
    Things can still look like sanford and son built them but be "safe".
    This is impossible. U can't sign off on it and not be liable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Steakonastick View Post
    Is it still $250 for a spot?
    $175 I'm pretty sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dickiedawg View Post
    What I envision is more of a tweaking but would entail a pretty good overhaul. The last two years there has been a TON of bickering about spots getting moved, rigs designed to go in a particular "spot" being moved where noone can see. I believe it would make sense to have the whole outfield level tiered, with spots laid out and organized. You would still bring YOUR trailer in there customized to your preferences, but it would have to meet certain criteria. You could sell more spaces if they were laid out properly, and potentially add a third row if the tier is built so the structure doesn't have to be 40 feet high.

Also, the rates could stand to be raised, but not to skybox prices by any means.
    I have seats in the grandstand and share a spot in the outfield and the outfield price is a joke. Best money I spend on any sport and it's not close. I don't want to pay more but it has to go up and up a lot!

vCash
    they need to just build them in and out permanent walkways around them.