Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most top 25 wins in the first 3 years of any HC

vCash
    Jamey Chadwell needs to be our first call if Arnett doesn?t work out. He wins everywhere he goes even when he has the worst talent in his league. He will get Liberty a better record than freeze did if he stays there. He might actually even do it this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Jamey Chadwell needs to be our first call if Arnett doesn?t work out. He wins everywhere he goes even when he has the worst talent in his league. He will get Liberty a better record than freeze did if he stays there. He might actually even do it this year.
    Arkansas fans would go for him also, right? Will the Arkansas game be the fate of Chadwell's direction next year? sort of like when Croom beat a team, that created the demand to fire that coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RezDog7 View Post
    You do know we didn't fire Leach right? I mean, who were you getting to replace him?
    Arbuckle, Kitty, etc etc... Keep the staff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Well you said from this year on he wouldn't lose those type of games for the next decade. In year 3 at WSU he was 9-4, looks like he had already made the turn to me. BTW, I was giving him the first 3 years since thats all he had here. In year 3 he lost to FCS Portland St as well, in a 9-4 season. In year four he lost to Eastern Washington and Boise in back to back weeks. WSU finished 8-5 that year. It wasn't an OOC game but he lost to 4-8 UCLA in 2019 too.

He was good at upsetting teams, no doubt about. He had WTH loses as well.
    You've got your years mixed up. He was 3-9, 6-7, 3-9 in years 1-3 at Washington State, inconsistent but improving in years 4-5, and then very good in years 6-7. Year 8 was a step back, but still no bad OOC losses or anything and still made a bowl. No "WTH losses" after week 1 of Year 5, when it all started coming together.

He got it together faster at Mississippi State, but even Moorhead was miles better than Leach's predecessor at Washington State.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    Arbuckle, Kitty, etc etc... Keep the staff.
    Kittley wasn't an option. He wasn't interested at all in leaving his Alma mater for a lateral move. His next move is a HC or maybe a blue blood.

Arbuckle might have been a good choice later in his career but WSU took a gamble on someone who was coaching HS in 2020, a Quality Control guy in 2021 and was a Co-OC for 1 year in G5. It may work out for him out west but not a serious candidate for the SEC with so little time coaching in college.

Nobody on staff was qualified, period. Do want to keep track of Drew for a few years but he wasn't ready. They are down to start the season but will see how the season finishes out. Be interesting in how Helton's coaches continue to develop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    You've got your years mixed up. He was 3-9, 6-7, 3-9 in years 1-3 at Washington State, inconsistent but improving in years 4-5, and then very good in years 6-7. Year 8 was a step back, but still no bad OOC losses or anything and still made a bowl. No "WTH losses" after week 1 of Year 5, when it all started coming together.

He got it together faster at Mississippi State, but even Moorhead was miles better than Leach's predecessor at Washington State.
    You're right, I skipped a year. His WTH games were when he was 9-4 in year 4 and 8-5 in year 5. My bad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Agree.
    We really need that system here since it allows for upsets and equalize talent. Also it becomes more tolerant to OC's and HC's coming and going here. It will always self recruit QBs and WRs and fast RBs. Some may not realize it is not exactly easy these days to just wave money at a coach and his family to move to the school with the lowest SEC budget when they can soon coach in any major conference and have a better shot at the playoffs.
    Agree with the OP's post.

Not totally arguing the "system" aspect of what you're saying. However, what we need more tho is the mentality, the toughness, etc.

The system will be good with tweaks. It's the mentality that is hard to find. It's things like Leach Beach that are hard to find in the 2020s. Leach was a tough and old school as Saban ever was and even maybe moreso. The main difference between Leach and Saban ... Saban is a good politician and lobbyist.

Just the mindset ... would win a lot of games.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 10-03-2023 at 10:17 PM.

vCash
    Kittley wasn't an option. He wasn't interested at all in leaving his Alma mater for a lateral move. His next move is a HC or maybe a blue blood.

Arbuckle might have been a good choice later in his career but WSU took a gamble on someone who was coaching HS in 2020, a Quality Control guy in 2021 and was a Co-OC for 1 year in G5. It may work out for him out west but not a serious candidate for the SEC with so little time coaching in college.

Nobody on staff was qualified, period. Do want to keep track of Drew for a few years but he wasn't ready. They are down to start the season but will see how the season finishes out. Be interesting in how Helton's coaches continue to develop.
    I'm talking as HC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    I'm talking as HC
    Gotcha. Then Kittley was the only one remotely qualified. Although I'd would have wanted another year or two if experience at TT first. None of the others were close to being qualified. Drew I want to track for next several years. He's sharp. Honestly wished Mike would had left him with the QB's but he needed to get an on the field job to rise. Completely understandable but I think Will was better working with Drew.

vCash
    Gotcha. Then Kittley was the only one remotely qualified. Although I'd would have wanted another year or two if experience at TT first. None of the others were close to being qualified. Drew I want to track for next several years. He's sharp. Honestly wished Mike would had left him with the QB's but he needed to get an on the field job to rise. Completely understandable but I think Will was better working with Drew.
    I am a fan of Drew also. I wish our administration had given every offensive coach the opportunity to stay a year due to cirumstances, and give CO-OC to Drew and Mason Miller or someone. Let Arnett take all that time and energy he has wasted listening to the HS coach, and others and just focus on his defense, but can be the overall HC of sorts, but with some parameters for this season. It would have helped Arnett also.
    Locke then stays with us most likely, and we keep stacking the QB and WR room, and let Arnett evaluate his defensive needs.
    Last edited by Santiago; 10-04-2023 at 10:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Washington state stayed with the air raid concept and they have done fine. Going completely away from it in a season where we are senior heavy was absolutely insane.
    Having seen what we've done so far this season, I would say your statement is 100% spot on.