Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
This is the last post I'll make on the topic because we're cluttering the recruiting thread and signing day is next week.

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't have dropped the kid bc he was a grade risk. That's what y'all are missing. No where have I said that. I'm arguing that the timing of it is wrong. You knew he was a grade risk in December. So you told him to sign in February. Then 5 days before signing day, you offer him a blue shirt. Obviously that option had not been discussed given the fact he took issue with it. Now him taking issue with it is another argument. I would've probably taken it if it were me and I felt I could get eligible. But the blue shirt should've been offered in December. His grades didn't magically change one way or the other in a month, especially since half that time was Christmas break. Luckily, for him (and us) it looks like he's gonna land on his feet at South Alabama. That's great.

In my opinion, it was a bad look, but it's all water under the bridge now.
As an assistant principal, I will tell you that grades can and do change in a month. Grades for first semester in a lot of public schools aren't finalized until January after we come back from Christmas Break. So as a college, you can take a kids word in December, but officially, as a school, you won't get notification of a students 1st semester final grades until the middle of January.

The school I work at in Alabama, we didn't finalize grades until January 11th. So you can get word of mouth from a kid, but as a college you don't get official grade reports until early to middle January.

I cut colleges a lot of slack in most cases in situations like this. When a students admittance into college rides on grades that are finalized 3 weeks before signing day, you can get put in some bad situations. I don't know the specifics of this one. But colleges can't technically get access to official grades until they are finalized. So it's entirely possible the outlook for this child didn't require a response from us until we were able to get that information officially.

Like I said, I don't know the specifics of this one, but I do know how grade reporting works and what colleges can and can't do in regards to accessing official grades of students, even if they are prospects.