After the discussion today, I decided to bring the data. This data is exclusive to the Super-Regional Era(1999-current) of 16 years. I did the CWS/Elite 8 since that data is easier to find and requires less spreadsheet work for me.

Baseball:
46 different teams making a total of 128 trips -- incl 12 midmajors making a total of 25 of appearances.

Basketball:
51 different teams making a total of 128 trips -- incl 14 midmajors making a total of 19 appearances.

51/349 = 14.6% of college basketball teams making the elite 8 in the past 16 years.
46/302 = 15.2% of college baseball teams making the CWS in the past 16 years.

14/275 = 5.1% of midmajors making the elite 8 in the past 16 years.
12/252 = 4.8% of midmajors making the CWS in the past 16 years.

16 basketball teams made 3 or more appearances for a total of 80. That's 62.5% of total appearances for the best 16 teams. One midmajor in this group(Memphis).
The top 16 baseball teams made a total of 82 appearances. That's 64% of total appearances for the best 16 teams. Two midmajors in this group(Rice, Cal State Fullerton).

Dang. Near. Identical.

Do I need to break this down any further for anyone? Or can we agree that given national data over an extended period of time, the difficulty in the actual accomplishments are roughly identical -- with MSU being much closer to the elite category in baseball and thus skewing the apparent "ease" of the accomplishment in those looking at it from maroon glasses?