And make him shut it down almost the entire off season. Arm mechanics are very difficult to correct once you have been pitching for 8-10 years. Either you have the type of arm movement that can literally pitch every other day or you don't. Some guys, even as young high school players can sling it 100 pitches and be good to throw it around after a days rest. When I was younger I ran into a few of these guys. After I pitched, I couldn't lift a milk jug with my right arm for about two days.

MLB guys are fully matured physically, have trained their bodies to handle 4 days rest after pitching 100+ an outing, and some have the genetics needed to just bypass those arm issues.

Seems to me, when I was younger I wouldn't touch a baseball for 5 months after the season. Busy playing different sports, doing different types of motions and different types of damage to my body. Players are too specialized these days. Heck, I would pitch a game and then get pulled and switch places with the shortstop or 3rd baseman and keep going.