Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: since Kubiak is officially fired...

vCash

since Kubiak is officially fired...

Do you think a college coach will be his replacement?

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Sumlin?????!!!

vCash
    According to what Bob McNair just said, I'm guessing no. Then aGAIN, you never know. But I'm thinking they try for someone with NFL experience.

First thing they need to do is draft Tajh Boyd at QB. I wanted them to draft Aaron Murray before he blew out his ACL, but I don't see how you justify drafting a guy who might not play until next November or December, considering the kind of money you'd have to pay him. If they could get him as an undrafted FA or late round pick, I'd be ecstatic about that. They also need another TE with Owen Daniels coming off injury.

Texans also need to get a few more players on D. You can't count on Cushing anymore. Two major injuries in two seasons. Swearinger is talented, but a headcase. Depth is a big issue on that side for them.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Sumlin?????!!!
    Seriously? His new aTm contract specifically binds him from taking an NFL job. Do our fans even pay attention to sports and sports news that doesn't involve MSU?
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    I would take James Franklin over Sumlin every day.

They'll probably also look at Jack Del Rio

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I would take James Franklin over Sumlin every day.

They'll probably also look at Jack Del Rio
    Ah, the NFL. Fail as a HC once, continue to get chances. See Norv Turner. Who I want them to hire and who they SHOULD hire: Lovie Smith. Dude is a helluva coach and sitting at home this season. Pay the man, ASAP.

vCash
    Rumored to be Nick Saban**

It had to be said

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Ah, the NFL. Fail as a HC once, continue to get chances. See Norv Turner. Who I want them to hire and who they SHOULD hire: Lovie Smith. Dude is a helluva coach and sitting at home this season. Pay the man, ASAP.
    See... I don't have a problem with re-treads so long as the re-tread has coached in another capacity between head coaching jobs.

Having coached before, there are numerous reasons that you can fail at a job, and many of them have to do with circumstances that have nothing to do with your coaching ability.

Furthermore, I am also OK with hiring a re-tread coach so long as he is willing to admit what his mistakes were in his previous job and has an answer as to how to fix them.

I truly that believe, that if motivation remain constant, people get better at their job the longer they do them. If a re-tread coach admits his mistakes and figures out solutions for them, I see no reason why that coach can't be a better coach the second time around.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Seriously? His new aTm contract specifically binds him from taking an NFL job. Do our fans even pay attention to sports and sports news that doesn't involve MSU?
    A contract is essentially as strong as the paper it's written or printed on. We all know this. And we all know money talks. Noting is certain in life except death and taxes. Remember that.

vCash
    Jon Gruden**

I had to be the first to say it.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Bill cowher mofos, and no to taking Boyd. Clowney is going to be really hard to pass up whenever you have the first pick and Smith likely wont be back next year. Texans also have too many problems in the secondary. I think they would go for a retread at qb or stay with keenum to start next year and look in the later rounds for a qb of the future, Murray could fall where they want him.

vCash
    Bill Belichek was a failure as a 1st time HC- good thing he got another chance huh?
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    If I'm Arizona I draft Murray- you have Palmer who can go another year or two- let Murray get healed and ready to take over.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    If the Texans finish with the first pick in the draft...I think they should take Clowney. Can you imagine a defensive line with Clowney and Watt? That's getting it done.

Aaron Murray would be a very good pick for them, and he'll probably be available down in the draft. The Texans need help at db, qb, and kicker. But we also should remember...they are a good team with a lot of talent, just one one year removed from the playoffs. They have excellent playmakers at receiver and running back (when healthy). That's a very good situation for a new coach.

vCash
    Bill Belicheck, Pete Carroll, Andy Reid, John Fox, and Tom Coughlin are thankful to get second chances. I bet that fans of their teams are thankful for the most part too.

Del Rio would probably do well his second time. Saban too, if he wanted to pursue it. I agree with you about Lovie Smith. Hell, I think Kubiak is a decent coach and he'll probably land on his feet eventually.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    If I'm Arizona I draft Murray- you have Palmer who can go another year or two- let Murray get healed and ready to take over.
    I could see the Broncos going after him too. I doubt he does anything at the combine with the ACL. That's going to hurt him some I think. How much I don't know because he was obviously a solid QB in college and there is a lot of tape on him because of how long he was a starter. If I'm Denver and looking for my future QB, this is how I do it. Draft Murray who can't play due to injury anyway. Get 2-3 years more of Peyton, let Murray sit under Manning and learn, then transition him in to the starting role once Peyton calls it a career. Not sure how big a fan Murray would be of it, but you have to figure next season is a wash regardless from the ACL. So realistically he would only sit a year or two in terms of time where he could actually be playing. Not a bad trade off if you get to learn from one of the best ever.

vCash
    I actually really like Murray, but do we all agree he would be better than mett at the next level? I was always under the impression mett had the upside?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I could see the Broncos going after him too. I doubt he does anything at the combine with the ACL. That's going to hurt him some I think. How much I don't know because he was obviously a solid QB in college and there is a lot of tape on him because of how long he was a starter. If I'm Denver and looking for my future QB, this is how I do it. Draft Murray who can't play due to injury anyway. Get 2-3 years more of Peyton, let Murray sit under Manning and learn, then transition him in to the starting role once Peyton calls it a career. Not sure how big a fan Murray would be of it, but you have to figure next season is a wash regardless from the ACL. So realistically he would only sit a year or two in terms of time where he could actually be playing. Not a bad trade off if you get to learn from one of the best ever.
    The Broncos drafted Brock Oswiler last season. I highly doubt they draft another QB this season, especially one with a bum ACL. Oswiler has a BIG TIME arm and is getting to learn from Peyton. I'm guessing he'll be first in line whenever Peyton decides to hang it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EngineerDawg View Post
    I actually really like Murray, but do we all agree he would be better than mett at the next level? I was always under the impression mett had the upside?
    I don't know. I just see Murray as the more consistent QB. He's been very similar to what Stafford was at UGA...and he would probably be a very similar pro QB. As for Mettenberger, he has all the talent in the world...but something is missing with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    Bill Belicheck, Pete Carroll, Andy Reid, John Fox, and Tom Coughlin are thankful to get second chances. I bet that fans of their teams are thankful for the most part too.

Del Rio would probably do well his second time. Saban too, if he wanted to pursue it. I agree with you about Lovie Smith. Hell, I think Kubiak is a decent coach and he'll probably land on his feet eventually.
    Coughlin, Reid, and Fox all had really good runs before being fired. I see them as similar to Lovie. Good coaches who just stayed to long and the team stopped hearing them or whatever. Belichik and Carroll are different. Some guys deserve second chances. I think Kubiak is in that category of good coach who should get another chance down the road. But Del Rio isn't in that category. He was just plain BAD in Jacksonville. I view him like Norv. Great coordinator, terrible HC.

I'll be the first to say some guys improve and figure it out after being a HC, getting fired, then getting a second chance. But with a team that *should* be able to rebound pretty quickly, why take the chance when you have a guy like Lovie available?