Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did the players really dislike Arnett?

vCash

Did the players really dislike Arnett?

From the greeting that the players gave Lebby at the airport last night it seems like that there is more than just a very warm welcome that they possibly were some other motives involved. Was Arnett disliked in addition to the poor performance?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redstickdawg View Post
    From the greeting that the players gave Lebby at the airport last night it seems like that there is more than just a very warm welcome that they possibly were some other motives involved. Was Arnett disliked in addition to the poor performance?
    YES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    YES
    I have been really surprised by the stuff coming out about players not liking Arnett. I wonder if running the program was just too much for him and it changed his personality with the players.

vCash
    del
    Last edited by Catfish; 11-27-2023 at 10:11 AM.

vCash
    I would guess it would be because his attitude change. I imagine the change we saw of him after he got the job, was also happening behind closed doors. He probably tried to be someone he wasn't. The kids see through it. Trust me I know, been there done that before. Better to be yourself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post
    I would guess it would be because his attitude change. I imagine the change we saw of him after he got the job, was also happening behind closed doors. He probably tried to be someone he wasn't. The kids see through it. Trust me I know, been there done that before. Better to be yourself.
    Good point. He could be a "players coach" or a hard ass, but either way, he could not be something different than he was before, which is what seemed to happen.

vCash
    It doesn't help that he lied to the players from the very beginning.
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    The defensive players say he wasn't the same person as the h/c as he was as the d/c. Take that fwiw but I can see that.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    I'd really like to hear Bucky's take on the staff. He was supposed to write a tell all after the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    I'd really like to hear Bucky's take on the staff. He was supposed to write a tell all after the season.
    same here. If he was that disliked it really was further proof that it was time to cut bait.

vCash
    Players loved Arnett the DC and Arnett the HC at the beginning of the year. However their confidence in him fell off sharply as the year progressed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msumudcat View Post
    Players loved Arnett the DC and Arnett the HC at the beginning of the year. However their confidence in him fell off sharply as the year progressed.
    This guy here has a closer take than the slanted one Bucky will give. He has direct knowledge
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Every player has a different view but here's what I heard from the kids I know on the team. They really liked Arnett but the further the season progressed the more lost he became. They still liked him but when they went to him for answers he didn't have any. He was in over his head.

vCash
    Zach got pulled in too many directions and took some very bad advice. Tried to make too many people happy. He should have done his own thing and if it pissed off some people so be it.

vCash
    Players loved Arnett the DC but likely knew quick that he didn?t know what he was doing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Players loved Arnett the DC but likely knew quick that he didn?t know what he was doing
    Something changed after the Arizona game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I think we had every break that could possibly go our way that game. Even though De Laura isn't starting anymore he's no slouch and could start at a lot of places. If Fifita was in though it would've been another story. We caught a QB having possibly his worst game ever still throwing for a ton of yards and barely walked out of our stadium with a win. You know Arizona is kicking themselves over our game.

vCash
    Every player has a different view but here's what I heard from the kids I know on the team. They really liked Arnett but the further the season progressed the more lost he became. They still liked him but when they went to him for answers he didn't have any. He was in over his head.
    Yep, and was unable to release control. He tried to have his hands too much in everything, wore too much off the stress, basically put everything on himself. When you do that, you create a single source of failure. When things go downhill, all those struggles then point back to one person. Suddenly perspective shifts and your vision becomes arrogance, your help becomes micromanaging, etc...

Also causes stress in your staff, they get frustrated that they are being held on a leash, and the players see that. In the end it really is sad, there is a reason he was standing alone in the later games. He created an island he couldn't get off of. And I really believe it wasn't due to any abject failure on his part other than failure to trust his staff to do their jobs. He was just so determined to make sure it worked that he put it all on himself.

Probably the most difficult jump from being great at your job to being the boss: Pivoting from getting the work done to empowering others to do the work, verifying that it does get done, and implementing structure that makes sure everyone improves at it. Trying to have hands in all of it never works, at least not in an organization of that size.

vCash
    A smart manager doesn't "sacrifice success for control."

vCash

I remember seeing Will look to the sidelines and it seemed like he was questioning the calls.