Thread: When I first got my license...

vCash

When I first got my license...

my dad had a friend that had ordered a new truck and was selling his jeep. He took me to look at it and I loved it. Green Wrangler, with a winch, maybe a slight lift but nothing obnoxious and some other upgrades. I gave my dad the $1,000 or so I'd saved to help pay for my first vehicle and agreed I'd cover the insurance if he covered the remaining purchase price. It was a done deal; I loved the jeep and the price was right. About a week before the other guy's truck came in he totaled that jeep on his way to work one morning (the guy was pretty scraped up but overall was fine). I was crushed but my dad assured me he had a lead on another deal, and assured me that I'd love it. I went along with it (after all I was in no position to be choosey given my meager contributions to the cause). A day or so later, my dad showed up with a 15 year old, 2WD, single cab, long wheelbase Ford Ranger with a half rotten camper shell on it. It got me where I needed to go but I always parked far away so that nobody saw me driving it.

Hoping everything we've heard so far is smoke and misdirection but, this coaching search feels like that situation all over again.

vCash
    I think Odom or Frost would be terrible and would mean the end of a lot of fan support for football at State. It would certainly send a message that we have waved the white flag and don’t intend to really compete any further.

vCash
    I had a 82 Mercury Lynx I paid 1200 for in my sophomore year at Northwest. Well it was rear ended one Sunday morning, and I got an insurance check for 1100. I never got it fixed. I used the money to buy a new Marlin 30-30 and a 20 inch TV at Walmart. Parked that ugly thing way off campus when after that

vCash
    1979 Chevy Caprice for $500 from my great-uncle. My Dad thought it was a perfect piece of indestructible Detroit Steel for a 16 year old. Safe, grandpa car that would be reliable.
    What he didn't know was the his uncle/former county Police Chief still got his cars via his old police purchasing contract contacts. A 16 year old with a police interceptor package Caprice.
    Looked like grandpa, out ran Camaros. And oh, how great were bench seats!!!

For the purpose of responding to the point - sometimes the safe choice has unexpected benefits.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    1979 Chevy Caprice for $500 from my great-uncle. My Dad thought it was a perfect piece of indestructible Detroit Steel for a 16 year old. Safe, grandpa car that would be reliable.
    What he didn't know was the his uncle/former county Police Chief still got his cars via his old police purchasing contract contacts. A 16 year old with a police interceptor package Caprice.

For the purpose of responding to the point - sometimes the safe choice has unexpected benefits.
    Haha! I sure hope so

vCash
    1st car I bought (dad was getting the loan so he had final decision), I wanted a jeep, looked at several. He showed up to the house with a damn geo tracker. Said it was basically the same but insurance was half the cost of a jeep.

I can see that happening in this search, I've seen it in almost every one

vCash
    Ironically, about 2 years later I gave it to my sister and ended up in a ford ranger at state. She proceeded to total it.

I still want a Jeep but still can't justify it, I've turned into my dad I guess.

vCash

Exactly, sometimes a safe choice has a four barrel OC and DC under the hood.

vCash
    I still want a Jeep but still can't justify it, I've turned into my dad I guess.[/QUOTE]

Same!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Dupree View Post
    I still want a Jeep but still can't justify it, I've turned into my dad I guess.
    Same![/QUOTE]

When my daughter turned 16, my wife said I could drive what I wanted to as long as I didn't have a car payment. I took it as a challenge to grab the most fun thing I could for under $5k.
    Looked at some old CJ's, a couple of Beetle convertibles, an MG or two - and settled on a '94 Wrangler for $3500. No electronics, so it's easy to wrench on. Bought a bikini top and new CJ style seats and cruise most of the year with no doors.
    It goes to work and to the beach on weekends. I've spent maybe $2k in parts (alternator, battery, starter, belts, etc.) in 8 years. Love cruising around the coast in it.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    72 El Camino SS. Dad made me buy it after I drove it one time and it blew a rod. Also had to pay for new engine after Little brother who drove the crap out of it never checked the oil or added any. Drove that thing all over the eastern US while in the Army. Wished I had it now/

vCash
    I learned to drive (with a manual shift no less) in an old WWII radio jeep.........don't have any Coach info, just loved driving that old three speed!!!! GO DOGS !!!

vCash

word!

vCash
    Orange over white 69 Ford F150.