Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chadwell reportedly out

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Well, at least Barry Odom will be cheap. Not a big buyout in two years.
    $5 million for the buyout and $5 million for the coaches pay? Lol that?s cheap? And for Barry Odom. Woof.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    The search firm reached out to Herman, as they did with a lot of coaches, he is not interested in moving right now.
    Then instead of telling everyone who we aren't getting, how about telling us who we are.

vCash
    We're counting on you Zac Selmon. Make something historic happen. Don't let us down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    Then instead of telling everyone who we aren't getting, how about telling us who we are.
    How can I if we haven't offered anyone yet and it accepted? Want me to make something up? We've seriously talked with Chadwell, Elko, Sumrall, Fritz...Odom is pushing hard and we will meet with him I believe. Think nothing more than cursory discussions with Schumann but can't say that has been serious. I mentioned a week or so ago about Matt Campbell, I don't know if anyone else has talked about that. We reached out to Lance Leipold to gauge his interest. Gus Malzhan to guage his interest. Not sure what level Dave Dorean interst is, same with Lashlee. A lot of interest from coaches but how much is reciprocated? Seems like a lot of shuffling to get raises and waiting out the carousel.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 11-22-2023 at 05:14 PM.

vCash
    How can I if we haven't offered anyone yet and it accepted? Want me to make something up? We've seriously talked with Chadwell, Elko, Sumrall, Fritz...Odom is pushing hard and we will meet with him I believe. Think nothing more than cursory discussions with Schumann but can't say that has been serious. I mentioned a week or so ago about Matt Campbell, I don't know if anyone else has talked about that. We reached out to Lance Leipold to gauge his interest. Gus Malzhan to guage his interest. Not sure what level Dave Dorean interst is, same with Lashlee. A lot of interest from coaches but how much is reciprocated? Seems like a lot of shuffling to get raises and waiting out the carousel.
    If State interviewed those 4 guys, and didn't make an offer to Elko Or Fritz, I would like to know why they even took the interview. I have never interviewed for a job I didn't want to accept if everything lined up for both sides. I don't believe in wasting mine or their time and money because they aren't interviewing on campus and it cost several thousands just to crank the damn plane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    If State interviewed those 4 guys, and didn't make an offer to Elko Or Fritz, I would like to know why they even took the interview. I have never interviewed for a job I didn't want to accept if everything lined up for both sides. I don't believe in wasting mine or their time and money because they aren't interviewing on campus and it cost several thousands just to crank the damn plane.
    Because it is a P5 job in the SEC???? I mean what are they going to say, I am not going to interview unless I have an offer? Not how it works at this level of CFB

vCash
    What? Multiple coaches are interviewed every year at nearly every school with openings without offers being made. With Elko, I'm sure we asked what would it take to get him but he is up for other jobs or using our job for leverage. If interest increases then the real offer and negotiations will begin but he is a wait it out coach. With Fritz, we just met with him and I'm not sure we are at an offer stage with him yet or just cursory discussions to get ducks in a row. You do your due diligence. But coaches take interviews all the time for leverage with their school or with other schools they are talking with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Because it is a P5 job in the SEC???? I mean what are they going to say, I am not going to interview unless I have an offer? Not how it works at this level of CFB
    We haven't offered the job to be turned down by anyone yet is my hope and the point about even interviewing is: Find out if their damn interest is serious before even scheduling an interview. Don't waste our time and we won't waste yours Coach!

We are looking for a guy who WANTS to move his family to The Great Prairie of East Mississippi!

If Fritz said no, then our Admin damn sure tried to lowball him. No way a 63 year old probably looking at his last chance to coach in a P5 conference turns down $4.5 to $5 mil! And that is why I say no one has been offered that Selmon seriously thought he could get!

vCash
    Completely different working environment and culture in the coaching world compared to the regular job sector.

vCash
    We haven't offered the job to be turned down by anyone yet is my hope and the point about even interviewing is: Find out if their damn interest is serious before even scheduling an interview. Don't waste our time and we won't waste yours Coach!

We are looking for a guy who WANTS to move his family to The Great Prairie of East Mississippi!

If Fritz said no, then our Admin damn sure tried to lowball him. No way a 63 year old probably looking at his last chance to coach in a P5 conference turns down $4.5 to $5 mil! And that is why I say no one has been offered that Selmon seriously thought he could get!
    You understand there are different stages of the interview process right? You start with a large list, preliminary discussions, second rounds of interviews, then finalists, then offer to your guy. You try not to make official offers to more than 1 guy...throwing out offers and getting rejected by multiple guys causes a cluster chaos in a coaching search. But what we are doing is by far the norm in coaching searches.

vCash
    Jeff Lebby says Hi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Completely different working environment and culture in the coaching world compared to the regular job sector.
    What business man does and interview and offers the job to someone who at the end of the interview doesn't say <I WANT THE JOB!> I have never gotten a job from an interview without asking for it. I have never offered a job in an interview who if the candidate didn't ask for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Exactly

vCash
    What business man does and interview and offers the job to someone who at the end of the interview doesn't say <I WANT THE JOB!> I have never gotten a job from an interview without asking for it. I have never offered a job in an interview who if the candidate didn't ask for it.
    Yeah...these are coaches not businessmen and it's a different interview process with agents and coaches involved.

vCash
    remember Selmon's words (paraphrased): "If you're not hearing it from me, it's not real."
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    You understand there are different stages of the interview process right? You start with a large list, preliminary discussions, second rounds of interviews, then finalists, then offer to your guy. You try not to make official offers to more than 1 guy...throwing out offers and getting rejected by multiple guys causes a cluster chaos in a coaching search. But what we are doing is by far the norm in coaching searches.
    As I understand it from this thread we apparently interviewed guys who are not interested in our job. Why? Your post here identifies the process and I get that. To get to the Interview phase, someone should show serious interest in the job. Chadwell doesn't have interest and should not have been interviewed. Waste of time by both sides. College football is a business. All phases should work like a business.

vCash
    As I understand it from this thread we apparently interviewed guys who are not interested in our job. Why? Your post here identifies the process and I get that. To get to the Interview phase, someone should show serious interest in the job. Chadwell doesn't have interest and should not have been interviewed. Waste of time by both sides. College football is a business. All phases should work like a business.
    He is going to show interest long enough to get a raise. It is the game you have to play in this business. Just like interviewing for a job in the business world and using it as leverage to get a raise.

vCash
    And that's the whole point. How can we say someone is out of the running, when no one knows who is

vCash
    Dude, there is interest, that's why we spoke with them. That interest changed - Chadwell, undetermined - Elko, etc. You have to do your due diligence with every coach that is on your A and AA list. If it's a top candidate you have to talk with them, even if in the end it's their agent moving things in the background for something else.

vCash
    Dude, there is interest, that's why we spoke with them. That interest changed - Chadwell, undetermined - Elko, etc. You have to do your due diligence with every coach that is on your A and AA list. If it's a top candidate you have to talk with them, even if in the end it's their agent moving things in the background for something else.
    So it was back channel talks, not formal interviews then?