Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brennan Marion, Rising Star, OC for UNLV

Banned
    vCash

Brennan Marion, Rising Star, OC for UNLV

Been betting UNLV spreads all season long and making money off of that. Actually sat and watched the whole Wyoming game tonight. Amazing job that's been done out there. 55 new players on the roster.

The "Go-Go" offense is something our fans would enjoy. I'd take a long look at him for OC. Don't think he's HC ready yet and especially not in the SEC, but he'd excite the fanbase. WRs would want to play for him. (Jordan Addison and Xavier Worthy)

He's lived all over the country and hasn't stayed in the same spot more than two years. Instant impact type of coach everywhere he goes and steady climb up.

vCash
    Him, frost, and sean lewis would be my first calls for OC

vCash
    Brennan Marion and GJ Kinne are maybe the top two young offensive minds in college football right now.
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    Sean Lewis isn't very good. I don't understand why his name comes up. Prime demoted him even (that's bad). The AR Cultists just set themselves up for disappointment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Sean Lewis isn't very good. I don't understand why his name comes up. Prime demoted him even (that's bad). The AR Cultists just set themselves up for disappointment.
    He seemed to be making lemonade out of lemons with that offense. Prime could be miles ahead of everyone on this, but it looks like a knee jerk reaction when Lewis was said to take up for the players after Deion threw the OL under the bus.

vCash
    His OL is terrible and what happened last week under the new OC? They were way worse

vCash
    Lewis has continually made chicken salad out of chicken s*** all year. Their OL is terrible which is why he has to get the ball out of Sanders hand so fast. He has schemed that offense incredibly all year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Lewis has continually made chicken salad out of chicken s*** all year. Their OL is terrible which is why he has to get the ball out of Sanders hand so fast. He has schemed that offense incredibly all year.
    Nah, he's really not and even got play calling pulled for it. He'll be in the MAC or similar next year.

vCash
    Nah, he's really not and even got play calling pulled for it. He'll be in the MAC or similar next year.
    You are entitled to your opinion on it. He got pulled from playcalling because Deion is grasping at straws. His team is becoming irrelevant so he is trying to create headlines other ways. They were awful last week offensively and Fisch and that D will completely shut down Pat Shurmer’s offense today.

vCash
    Their PPG has doubled with him as OC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Their PPG has doubled with him as OC.
    They've scored 21 in the first half today vs AZ, up 21-14

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    They've scored 21 in the first half today vs AZ, up 21-14
    How hard is that though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    How hard is that though
    They are 28th nationally in scoring defense. Not mention the Washington St offense only scored 6 against them.

vCash
    They are 28th nationally in scoring defense. Not mention the Washington St offense only scored 6 against them.
    It is hard to figure out the Pac this year. They seem to have hired some good coaches across several teams though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    How hard is that though
    Well we scored 24 in regulation on them.

Banned
    vCash
    Posting a write up I found about the offense. I really want us to go and get this guy:

A simple way to describe the “Go-Go offense” is it’s an offense marrying the old-school triple-option run games with modern-day spread concepts. But if you let Coach Marion describe it, he would say, “It’s violent and vertical. That’s the most simplistic way that I can put it. Score touchdowns and make big plays.”

The “Go-Go offense” is based out of a two-running back set — 20 or 21 personnel (2 running backs and 0 tight ends or two running backs and one tight end, respectively). Unlike most 20 and 21-personnel teams, Coach Marion’s offense does not use a fullback to block and a halfback to run. Both running backs have the opportunity to block or get the ball.
    Make no mistake about it. Coach Marion’s philosophy is to be a power-run team. They also will utilize RPOs (run/pass option plays) in the short passing game and stretch the defense down the field with a vertical passing game.
    The “Go-Go offense” has three basic principles from an outside view.

1. Play with selflessness
    In the “Go-Go offense,” the star player will not always get the ball. That would defeat the purpose of having two running backs in the backfield. Similar to NBA coaching legend Phil Jackson’s famous “Triangle Offense,” the ball should always go to the open man, while all of his teammates set him up for success in their own way.
    For instance, if the defense is keying in on your running back in the run game, the quarterback has to recognize it and get the ball to another playmaker or take it himself.
    There is only one ball. Whoever ends up with it when the play unfolds, all ten other players must show they want their teammate to succeed as if they had the ball themselves. Football is the ultimate team game. For Coach Marion, teammates, their love for each other, and their love for the game of football have to be a priority number one for every member of the UNLV offense.

2. Play fast
    As the name would suggest, the “Go-Go offense” has to be fast-paced, creating an extra level of chaos for the defense, thus giving the offense another upper hand. By playing fast, Coach Marion is also trying to give his offense more possessions.
    Coach Marion’s former offensive coordinator at Tulsa and current UCF head coach Gus Malzahn incorporates a similar fast-paced scheme. Lincoln Riley, Mike Gundy, Chip Kelly, and Lane Kiffin are a few other well-known head coaches who use this strategy. Kelly brought it to the NFL (with Philadelphia and San Francisco) with some success, but it remains a prevalent strategy in college football today.
    “I LOVE Al Davis. The Raiders are my second favorite organization behind the Steelers because I’m all about the vertical attack.” Marion said. “But not just vertical in the standpoint of throwing the deep, but vertical in the way we run the ball downhill. I like violent players because if you’re playing violent, that means you’re playing fast, you’re playing hard, you’re playing aggressive.”
    “So that’s one of the things I always teach or coach. I always think that we play offense with a defensive mentality. So when I say we play violent, it means we aren’t playing passive. I watch offenses sometimes, and they are just so scheme oriented that there is no violence in what they do, there is no aggression, and I don’t think you can have somebody trying to beat your ass on the other side of the ball when you play fineness. That’s not how it works.”

3. Create mismatches with exotic formations
    Giving the defense different formations than they are accustomed to seeing week-in and week-out creates yet another form of confusion for a defense. Creating that potential confusion also causes mismatches. Using different formations yet running the same plays also helps the offense. Instead of learning a multitude of plays to keep defenses guessing, the offense can learn fewer plays and run them out of these “exotic” formations.
    Coach Marion says he can run any running play from his staple shotgun — FAR/NEAR formation, as well as out of the Pistol — stack formation. That is extremely valuable for the sake of not tipping your plays to the defense pre-snap.

TL;DR: Hurry Up Spread Variant with emphasis on 2 halfback (no fullback) that marries up Air Raid "use all skill players" and "run the same plays out of exotic formations" concepts. It's the real reason UNLV has been so successful and is dominating the MWC this year.

I really really REALLY want us to make a push for him as OC. Idk how good he'd be as a HC, but man he's a hell of a play designer and playcaller. Some school is getting him next year and they are going to be quality.

vCash
    Marion would be a GRAND SLAM hire for us as Offensive Coordinator...but PLEASE NOT for head coach. Let the JoeMoe & Arnett experiences teach us TO NOT go that route again.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Been betting UNLV spreads all season long and making money off of that. Actually sat and watched the whole Wyoming game tonight. Amazing job that's been done out there. 55 new players on the roster.

The "Go-Go" offense is something our fans would enjoy. I'd take a long look at him for OC. Don't think he's HC ready yet and especially not in the SEC, but he'd excite the fanbase. WRs would want to play for him. (Jordan Addison and Xavier Worthy)

He's lived all over the country and hasn't stayed in the same spot more than two years. Instant impact type of coach everywhere he goes and steady climb up.
    Ok hire him today. I'm serious. I'd love this offense in Starkville. This hyped me lol...

https://youtu.be/8s13y7by9mk?si=VK4D3IiMaEDnvule

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    Ok hire him today. I'm serious. I'd love this offense in Starkville. This hyped me lol...

https://youtu.be/8s13y7by9mk?si=VK4D3IiMaEDnvule
    He is interviewing for the San Diego St HC job, he is getting close to getting his own program.

Banned
    vCash
    He is interviewing for the San Diego St HC job, he is getting close to getting his own program.
    As much as I don't want to go the coordinator route again, and he probably needs more proof of concept, I really just think this dude is can't miss.