Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got to stop with the Barbay blame game

vCash

Got to stop with the Barbay blame game

As someone that does the same job he does on a lower level- I know what it's like to have someone in your ear constantly saying "let's run the ball coach- and shorten the game". It's part of the job and you deal with it. At no time in my career have I ever had someone say into my headset- "We need to start throwing the ball a little more". I believe 100% Arnett got in Barb's ear and told him to run the ball to shorten the game after we had to play D for 18 plays. I've heard it in my ear a 100 times from defensive minded coaches I've worked with. No HC is shy about voicing what they want the offense to do. If Arnett had wanted more passes to be thrown on Sat- there would have been.

Barbay is 13-14 years younger than I am and has grown up in the Spread Offense Era. You dont find many overly conservative guys 40 or younger today. And just by going off the numbers- Barbay's offenses:

2021- QB's couldnt run- 34.5 passes per game
    2022- QB wasnt real mobile but ran just a little- 27.5 passes per game
    2023? QB is a statue and 2 games in we are at 23 passes per.

I'm very curious as to what we will see Saturday because this will tell us what "they" want the offense to look like. You go into the season knowing you will beat SELA and also figure you wont have to show alot to beat Arizona (altho they certainly upgraded on D thru the portal). You plan to show what you got in Week 3 vs an SEC Big Dawg. We have lost our top TE already, Robinson hasnt been full speed, and Whitt is still a baby learning whats going on. So I get what could be some hesitancy to call as many passes so far. But I dont excuse it.

Saturday should tell us alot.
    Last edited by Coach34; 09-12-2023 at 09:17 AM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Thank you C34, blessings be upon your holy resurrection.

Luginbill was on OOB saying Arizona massively upgraded in the portal on OL and DL. Our coaches had no way of knowing how much of an upgrade it would be. He said the same about FSU/LSU. FSU upgraded some spots in the portal. One of those portal guys gave LSU hell all night. LSU didn't have to deal with him last year and had no way of really evaluating on film what he could do in Norvell's offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    As someone that does the same job he does on a lower level- I know what it's like to have someone in your ear constantly saying "let's run the ball coach- and shorten the game". It's part of the job and you deal with it. At no time in my career have I ever had someone say into my headset- "We need to start throwing the ball a little more". I believe 100% Arnett got in Barb's ear and told him to run the ball to shorten the game after we had to play D for 18 plays. I've heard it in my ear a 100 times from defensive minded coaches I've worked with. No HC is shy about voicing what they want the offense to do. If Arnett had wanted more passes to be thrown on Sat- there would have been.

Barbay is 13-14 years younger than I am and has grown up in the Spread Offense Era. You dont find many overly conservative guys 40 or younger today. And just by going off the numbers- Barbay's offenses:

2021- QB's couldnt run- 34.5 passes per game
    2022- QB wasnt real mobile but ran just a little- 27.5 passes per game
    2023? QB is a statue and 2 games in we are at 23 passes per.

I'm very curious as to what we will see Saturday because this will tell us what "they" want the offense to look like. You go into the season knowing you will beat SELA and also figure you wont have to show alot to beat Arizona (altho they certainly upgraded on D thru the portal). You plan to show what you got in Week 3 vs an SEC Big Dawg. We have lost our top TE already, Robinson hasnt been full speed, and Whitt is still a baby learning whats going on. So I get what could be some hesitancy to call as many passes so far. But I dont excuse it.

Saturday should tell us alot.
    I hear what you're saying. But at the same time, if Arnett is the accountability guy we all think he is, and Barbay has the freedom we were all told that he has, then when Arnett gets in Barbay's ear to tell him to run the ball because the defense needs a break after an 18 play drive, then Barbay needs to say back to him that he needs to figure out how to get his damn defense off the field on third down. It goes both ways.

vCash
    Let's clear something up. Arnett admitted he told KB to run the ball after the 18 play drive. But the reason was not to shorten the game. Arnett said the reason was to give the defense a rest. Those are not the same. If the reason to run is to shorten the game then that makes sense because running the ball keeps the clock running. But if the reason is to give the defense a breather then that doesn't make sense because the way to do that is to keep your offense on the field for a while, which is accomplished by running successful plays that pick up first downs whether they be run or pass.

That said. What we did worked. We went on an 11 play drive that took 5:14 off the clock. And we scored a TD that was negated by an unnecessary hold on 57. Then we missed a 41 yard fg.

But despite getting a long breather, the defense immediately crapped the bed by giving up a 3 play, 77 yard TD drive to close the half. Woof.

vCash
    I think a lot of the criticism from Saturday is overblown (and that's saying something coming from me). The run was working early, we got a big lead pretty quickly, we had short fields on offense, and the defense needed a rest. It all added up to some decisions that may not have been the best. Understandable. However, the main criticism I have is that we didn't adjust as the flow of the game changed. The run was working early, but AZ adjusted and it wasn't working as well by halftime. We did not adjust and just kept trying to do the same thing that worked early in the game but was no longer working. We needed to do something different. Same on defense. The zone blitzes worked early, but they figured it out and DeLaura started picking us apart. We needed to give him some new looks and maybe throw in some man to man a little more on the blitzes. Or add a robber. Or something. But we just kept doing the same thing. Needed to make a change. We have to do better at that. If we do, we'll be fine.

vCash
    I don’t have a problem with running the ball. BUT you still have to mix it up. We ran on first and 2nd down way too much.

I get being conservative to an extent but not so much that you completely take away one phase of the offense. Like Wyatt pointed out, we only involved the outside receivers on 2 passes. And the pass to Walley was basically a dump off crosser. Arizona was down 2 corners and we didn’t even test their secondary.

The other thing is, if you aren’t even going to pretend to involve the TE then we just need to scrap the position for this year. Our opponents already know that we aren’t going to test them down the field. We don’t need a receiver on the field that is never going to get the ball.

vCash
    Yeah... no. The truth is he failed on Saturday. And that's ok to say. He's a big boy making big $$$. BTW, he stated in an interview that he has seen the talk and that it was hard to get away from the run because early on it was 6 to 8 yard pops. That's great, but if that's all you do then those are going to keyed on.

The passing game was averaging 12.5 yards per completed pass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    Yeah... no. The truth is he failed on Saturday. And that's ok to say. He's a big boy making big $$$. BTW, he stated in an interview that he has seen the talk and that it was hard to get away from the run because early on it was 6 to 8 yard pops. That's great, but if that's all you do then those are going to keyed on.

This is accurate. I liken it to a pitcher throwing a fastball over and over, in the same spot. No matter how hard you throw it's gonna get hit if that's all you got. I had an mlb hitting coach tell me one time that mlb hitters could hit a jet if they see it in the same place everytime, lol. A little hyperbole but you get the point. You have to change speeds at some point whether you're a pitcher or an OC.

vCash
    Barbay say: Paraphrasing "I am not oblivious of people's opinions, and I did get too conservative..it won't happen again".

I think everyone has made their feelings known, from coaches to fans, and it's time to learn and move on. We know we screwed this up a little. Got the W, learned a lesson. Next.
    Last edited by Leroy Jenkins; 09-12-2023 at 10:32 AM.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This is accurate. I liken it to a pitcher throwing a fastball over and over, in the same spot. No matter how hard you throw it's gonna get hit if that's all you got. I had an mlb hitting coach tell me one time that mlb hitters could hit a jet if they see it in the same place everytime, lol. A little hyperbole but you get the point. You have to change speeds at some point whether you're a pitcher or an OC.
    BTW... I'm not saying he has to go. But this can't be what we hired! He's got to open it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Barbay say: Paraphrasing "I am not oblivious of people's opinions, and I did get too conservative..it won't happen again".

I think everyone has made their feelings known, from coaches to fans, and it's time to learn and move on. We know we screwed this up a little. Got the W, learned a lesson. Next.
    Bet ya it happens again. Hopefully extremely infrequently tho.

vCash

I think Barbay was trying to App St/A&M this game but a stupid ass coach like Jimbo wasn't on the opposing sideline and Haynes King wasn't the QB. Jedd Fisch has been doing this for 25 years. We better hope he doesn't come after a talent rich job in the SEC.

If we come out against LSU with the same idiotic play calling and offensive management then I'll be done with Barbay. He better have an ace up his sleeve Saturday.

vCash

The issue here is that it is very clear that running the ball is what he wants to do. If he could do it, he would run the ball every play. Of course, I knew all of this by simply looking at his history as a play caller. He only throws it because he has to.
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I think Barbay was trying to App St/A&M this game but a stupid ass coach like Jimbo wasn't on the opposing sideline and Haynes King wasn't the QB. Jedd Fisch has been doing this for 25 years. We better hope he doesn't come after a talent rich job in the SEC.

If we come out against LSU with the same idiotic play calling and offensive management then I'll be done with Barbay. He better have an ace up his sleeve Saturday.
    Hopefully, we will be smiling this time next week.

vCash
    I hope so, Brother.

vCash
    BTW... I'm not saying he has to go. But this can't be what we hired! He's got to open it up.
    100%!

vCash
    Amen and let's hope so!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    The issue here is that it is very clear that running the ball is what he wants to do. If he could do it, he would run the ball every play. Of course, I knew all of this by simply looking at his history as a play caller. He only throws it because he has to.
    I've been waiting for your 'I told you so moment'. And you were right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    His history shows he threw it 34.5 times per game just 2 years ago
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    His history shows he threw it 34.5 times per game just 2 years ago
    He is currently on an 8 game stretch where he has called a run 63% of the time, and over the past 6 quarters, he's called a run 70% of the time.
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett