Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunday Morning Wrap Up Thoughts

vCash
    While the game (first half) looked bad, when you step back and take a look at the stats it really was a dominating performance. SELA only had 208 yards of offense for the game and the bulk of that was on their one scoring drive when our defense just put their head up their ass for some reason. On the other hand we racked up over 500 yards with almost 300 of that on the ground. We only had one penalty all game. No stupid false starts or holding that kill drives. No turnovers.

As for the defense we followed a trend yesterday that started when Arnett was DC. We had a habit of the first few drives looking like a monkey 17ing a football out there and then we adjusted and shut the other team down the rest of the way. It makes me wonder if they're bad at game planning but can make excellent in game adjustments. Whatever we do it seems to usually work out in the end.

Offense looked like a steaming pile at times yesterday. Will is what Will is. He's not going to hit, or even throw, a 30 yard seam route much at all. He's comfortable doing his check downs and I think that's what he's going to do. Done it his whole career. Not going to change his last season. I think moving him out to WR when Wright is in at QB is borderline window licking stupid. Only thing I can figure is we have a gimmick play where they will actually throw it to him because he will be wide assed open. I just don't see putting yourself at a disadvantage the rest of the season. We have some massive weapons at receiver. Put them all on the field and see if Wright can hit them more often than not. With out running backs and Wright's run threat that would put a massive amount of stress on a defense. Then you put Marks in a pass pattern and you don't have enough defensive backs. That said, that is all dependent on our line being able to block.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    While the game (first half) looked bad, when you step back and take a look at the stats it really was a dominating performance. SELA only had 208 yards of offense for the game and the bulk of that was on their one scoring drive when our defense just put their head up their ass for some reason. On the other hand we racked up over 500 yards with almost 300 of that on the ground. We only had one penalty all game. No stupid false starts or holding that kill drives. No turnovers.

As for the defense we followed a trend yesterday that started when Arnett was DC. We had a habit of the first few drives looking like a monkey 17ing a football out there and then we adjusted and shut the other team down the rest of the way. It makes me wonder if they're bad at game planning but can make excellent in game adjustments. Whatever we do it seems to usually work out in the end.

Offense looked like a steaming pile at times yesterday. Will is what Will is. He's not going to hit, or even throw, a 30 yard seam route much at all. He's comfortable doing his check downs and I think that's what he's going to do. Done it his whole career. Not going to change his last season. I think moving him out to WR when Wright is in at QB is borderline window licking stupid. Only thing I can figure is we have a gimmick play where they will actually throw it to him because he will be wide assed open. I just don't see putting yourself at a disadvantage the rest of the season. We have some massive weapons at receiver. Put them all on the field and see if Wright can hit them more often than not. With out running backs and Wright's run threat that would put a massive amount of stress on a defense. Then you put Marks in a pass pattern and you don't have enough defensive backs. That said, that is all dependent on our line being able to block.
    I felt that way at first too. BUT, it does take a DB out of the game play because somebody has to cover him.

They been doing that since he got here. You have the staff that you trust to make the right decisions telling you he is not the best option.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    I would rather put it this way:

Guy A) is a 3 year 70% passer. And averaged 8 INTs to 35 TDs.
    Guy B) is a 55% passer and averages 5 INTS to 10 TDs.
    Guy A played in the air raid with talent around him.

Guy B played for Vandy.

Does Wright get a chance to be judged with a little talent around him? Again, not saying he deserves to ever start...but an expanded role is needed. Imagine Wright, Woody, Tulu, Creed, and X Thomas all on the field at once. That's a lot of speed and home run potential. Sell out to stop the run and cover those speed demons with single coverage....Wright could be throwing to some wide open guys.
    I just see some potential for a Fitz/Relf type of offense with even more home run potential at WR....but it will take MUCH BETTER BLOCKING BY THE OL for us to be able to utilize play action to its full effect and force teams to have to bring extra guys to help stop the run. If we can't run it, none of the Wright gimmicks will work ultimately

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Guy A played in the air raid with talent around him.

Guy B played for Vandy.

Does Wright get a chance to be judged with a little talent around him? Again, not saying he deserves to ever start...but an expanded role is needed. Imagine Wright, Woody, Tulu, Creed, and X Thomas all on the field at once. That's a lot of speed and home run potential. Sell out to stop the run and cover those speed demons with single coverage....Wright could be throwing to some wide open guys.
    I just see some potential for a Fitz/Relf type of offense with even more home run potential at WR....but it will take MUCH BETTER BLOCKING BY THE OL for us to be able to utilize play action to its full effect and force teams to have to bring extra guys to help stop the run. If we can't run it, none of the Wright gimmicks will work ultimately
    He does and has. The starter is Rogers. The starter will remain Rogers. And Mike will come in as scheduled.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post

Offense looked like a steaming pile at times yesterday. Will is what Will is. He's not going to hit, or even throw, a 30 yard seam route much at all. He's comfortable doing his check downs and I think that's what he's going to do. Done it his whole career. Not going to change his last season. I think moving him out to WR when Wright is in at QB is borderline window licking stupid. Only thing I can figure is we have a gimmick play where they will actually throw it to him because he will be wide assed open.
    I can see it now moment: Will wide open 30 yards downfield and catches the ball cleanly, turns downfield and immediately slides down to avoid hit that 10 yards away. **

vCash
    He does and has. The starter is Rogers. The starter will remain Rogers. And Mike will come in as scheduled.
    When Mike Wright completes a pass to an open Tulu or Creed that goes for a TD this board will melt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TaleofTwoDogs View Post
    I can see it now moment: Will wide open 30 yards downfield and catches the ball cleanly, turns downfield and immediately slides down to avoid hit that 10 yards away. **
    Don't forget, "runs backwards to protect the ball"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    When Mike Wright completes a pass to an open Tulu or Creed that goes for a TD this board will melt.
    No we won't

vCash
    As a Junior (2022)
    ? Team captain
    ? Played in 10 games with six starts
    ? Finished the season completing 57.4 percent of passes (85-for-148) for 974 yards and 12 touchdowns
    ? Also rushed 71 times for 517 yards and five touchdowns
    ? Started the first three games of the season, earning a pair of wins
    ? Also started a pair of games in relief of injured AJ Swann, defeating Kentucky and Florida
    ? Threw for 108 yards and three touchdowns in win over Florida
    ? Ran for 126 yards and a score while passing for 184 yards and a touchdown in win over Kentucky

Wright is a winner and has done it against the SEC. He's progressed, matured and gotten better every year. 12 TDs and only 4 Ints last year. Imagine what he could do with better talent around him. You can't teach athleticism & speed & having both at the qb position puts a lot of stress & strain on a defense. Not sure why it's hard to discuss this.

Will is not infallible.

I'd rather run it when you have the running talent we have on this team. Athletes win football games.

Having said that, Will is the starter, but MW should get a fair shot.

I did notice the guy's were more lively with MW on the field.

vCash
    No we won't
    There are folks on here already wanting him to replace Will after a few good runs with zero pass attempts.

If he throws a pass in the LSU game that goes for a huge chunk of yards or a TD this board will melt.

The best thing for Will right now is Mike Wright pushing him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tireddawg View Post
    As a Junior (2022)
    ? Team captain
    ? Played in 10 games with six starts
    ? Finished the season completing 57.4 percent of passes (85-for-148) for 974 yards and 12 touchdowns
    ? Also rushed 71 times for 517 yards and five touchdowns
    ? Started the first three games of the season, earning a pair of wins
    ? Also started a pair of games in relief of injured AJ Swann, defeating Kentucky and Florida
    ? Threw for 108 yards and three touchdowns in win over Florida
    ? Ran for 126 yards and a score while passing for 184 yards and a touchdown in win over Kentucky

Wright is a winner and has done it against the SEC. He's progressed, matured and gotten better every year. 12 TDs and only 4 Ints last year. Imagine what he could do with better talent around him. You can't teach athleticism & speed & having both at the qb position puts a lot of stress & strain on a defense. Not sure why it's hard to discuss this.

Will is not infallible.

I'd rather run it when you have the running talent we have on this team. Athletes win football games.

Having said that, Will is the starter, but MW should get a fair shot.

I did notice the guy's were more lively with MW on the field.
    He has from the moment he got to campus.

vCash
    There are folks on here already wanting him to replace Will after a few good runs with zero pass attempts.

If he throws a pass in the LSU game that goes for a huge chunk of yards or a TD this board will melt.

The best thing for Will right now is Mike Wright pushing him.
    I 100% believe the first game is pretty meaningless.... unless it's a total disaster. By game 3, we should be in stride.

vCash
    Not looking like the '85 Bears in game one really pisses people off.
    Actually, I'm pissed we didn't look like the '84 Niners. They were better than '85 Bears and Montana smoked Marino in SB. **